Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022

Really proud of owning 2 models of the legendary model in the history of cars. Hope whatever model survives polo in India keeps the legend floating as per drivability, agility and simplicity. It would have been better to have continuity of Polo as a car being in India under VW's portfolio.
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar View Post
Volkswagen India will likely launch the next generation Polo currently sold in Europe by Q1/2023.
--
The 6th Gen. European Polo is not India bound.
While it could be evaluating the Polo under development in Brazil, but chances are very slim for its launch here.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  28.2 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd February 2022 at 18:59.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 20:15   #33
BHPian

while it makes sense they might not bring the new/EU polo to India, is it too much to hope that they may bring the golf to India ?
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
while it makes sense they might not bring the new/EU polo to India, is it too much to hope that they may bring the golf to India ?
I just hope the VW Golf isn't plonked with some cladding and high ground clearance to be pitched as a premium compact SUV above the Taigun.

I find a Golf above Taigun in the portfolio like MSIL S-Cross above the Vitara Brezza.
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:09   #35
BHPian

Polo will surely be missed and might turn out to be one of those discontinued cars which have their won cult following given the solid build and driving dynamics. Lets hope they introduce a equivalent vehicle, but going by GTO and other's remarks, looks like that is not happening.
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:34   #36
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgaquarius View Post
I just hope the VW Golf isn't plonked with some cladding and high ground clearance to be pitched as a premium compact SUV above the Taigun.
That's the T-Roc for you.

Based on the MK7 Golf.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is what we are going to miss

sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 00:17   #38

VW POLO The Hatchback standard of India

How I feel about it?

I have mixed feelings about the Polo being discontinued in India. It has been a decade since the first gen Polo was released in India and there hasn't been a proper update ever since. Even though the Polo has always managed to get a decent amount of sales in the past few years, there was a part of me that was hoping to see an update. Owing to the Indian tax laws that was a dream that would never come true. However thanks to the Polo for setting a standard for hatchbacks in India. Hands down! No hatchback in the present market can ever beat the craze of VW Polo. There was a point of time when I was eyeing to buy a Polo in 2020 just before the BS6 version update, but had to park that thought thanks to COVID.

The future?

The market seems to shift more and more towards SUVs in recent times. The prime focus of all the automotive companies is SUV driven and wasting resources on developing a hatchback just to release it in 1 country doesn't seem feasible. But since it is VW and they have many resources at disposal the dream of a new Polo might come true. Design cues of the new Polo might be borrowed from VW Gol in Brazil or Polo in similar markets like Brazil or other developing countries. Considering all these factors there is a 50-50 chance VW might release an updated version. Even if a new version is released the engine options will be similar to Taigun (1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI). The most economic idea would be making cosmetic changes like a new front and rear bumper, new headlights and feature add-ons. Updating the bumpers would also require R & D prior to launch but that is the most economical option VW can think of. The last option would be continuing with the same model and discontinuing it sometime in future, as VW Polo is one of the very few cars people keep buying(constant sales figures) even though it's dated.
Longshot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 06:38   #39
BHPian

Interesting views, on how the news of Polo leaving, has kind of rekindled the desire to own one!

Well, I fulfilled mine when I cancelled the Taigun booking and picked my a HL+MT last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022-c2f72c516bfe41ec9255e60d021e631f.jpeg  

Old_Salt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Its a sad feeling that the Polo is being discontinued. If anything, it kind of provided an alternative benchmark. To whoever I met and know, the Polo was always looked at differently amongst the scores of Asian marques, as "that well built German" car. Even my aunt, who's no automobile aficionado, had remarked that she liked my choice of getting the German car. Perhaps it evoked memories for her of my late grandfather, whose first car was an Opel Kadett back in 1938. Even to this day, the fact that 1.0 TSI holds its own in performance against the other cars says a lot about the engineering finesse. My mom says that the Polo and Linea were her most favorite cars as a rear passenger on the out-of-town journeys. This is coming from a person who has to wear a neck collar for spondylosis while traveling. Cant dispute that at all !

I let mine go because during the prolonged pandemic lockdown it became a bit much to continue with two cars lying around relatively idle. In hindsight , I now feel it might have been a hasty decision. As long as Germany has some technological and commercial weight in the automotive world, we need an affordable German car in India to set a benchmark of sorts.

On a slightly different note: of all the cars I have owned in India (Santro, Dzire, Linea, Nano, Duster, Micra, City, Polo and now Creta)- only the Santro, Dzire , City and Creta continue in production.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 23rd February 2022 at 07:42.
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:39   #41
BHPian

The Polo has quite a unique space at my heart after owning it for a few years. The build quality is no match. Though I feel, it was stuck in the tooth too long with multiple generations got released everywhere except in India.

But Hormazd calling the Polo a hot hatch is like comparing Narain with Schumacher.
Old 23rd February 2022, 09:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I don't understand this logic of 'company losing money while making a hatch'. Maruti and Hyundai wouldn't exist if that's the case. I had heard that logic (I think from Autocar India itself) since the days when Honda was contemplating but delaying getting Jazz in to India. Hatch door may be little more complex to design and produce than a boot of a 3 box car but still be cheaper to produce considering the compact size.
CSUV and Hatchbacks are still the biggest market and if VW is interested in making big money, hatchbacks are needed.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 13:20   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal View Post
Well, that's disappointing..
I have booked the Polo H+ in the 1st week of Feb, with a really long waiting period of 4-6 months.

I am not sure what's next, should I wait and expect to be lucky to get this legend delivered to me? or wait for VW to call me after 4 months to inform me that Polo will no longer be available..

Or simply just cancel the booking and look for something else?
I second BHPian KPR's suggestion, with a similar decision made by me 2 years back when it was announced that VW is shutting down Ameo production. When most advised not to go with a stopped car, I purchased it from the last batch just for the diesel DSG combo and VW driveability and in this 2 years many times I substantiated that my decision is correct. IMO you can wait until VW says it's not available, so that you can get best chance to acquire this iconic machine. My good wishes for the same to happen.
drrams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 21:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ashish Gupta, VW Brand Director, hints it’s not a Goodbye for the Polo.

Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022-smartselect_20220223215126_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Volkswagen brand director, Ashish Gupta, said that “For Polo it is not goodbye, it is au revoir (goodbye until we meet again)."
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 16:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Will Volkswagen India launch another limited edition Polo before the end of the production?

Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022-20220225_164738.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th February 2022 at 16:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks