Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 03:26   #16
sal
BANNED

Re: Rumour: VW Polo & Vento production to end in Q2, 2022

Well, that's disappointing..
I have booked the Polo H+ in the 1st week of Feb, with a really long waiting period of 4-6 months.

I am not sure what's next, should I wait and expect to be lucky to get this legend delivered to me? or wait for VW to call me after 4 months to inform me that Polo will no longer be available..

Or simply just cancel the booking and look for something else?
Old 22nd February 2022, 05:36   #17
BHPian

I think I'm pretty lucky that I could get hold of one of the last generations of VW Vento. Booked one, waiting impatiently for its delivery.
na_agrawal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Indeed sad to see Polo leaving without a possible / confirmed replacement. We have seen other cars like i20 changing 3 gens while Polo looked more or less the same. Still Polo even now looks much better (personal opinion) than all 3 gens of i20. And this I am talking in stock form- and then the mod potential are unlimited. The modified Polo’s, mainly the ones I see in Kerala looks dope. I doubt we will ever see such an elegant and good looking hatchback in our market.
The build quality, engine options, dynamics etc are unmatched by any other hatch currently in the market.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:28   #19
BHPian

I was quite lucky to get my Polo Highline Plus AT delivered on 2/2/22. It is indeed sad to know that this legendary car will be discontinued. I will be a proud owner of the last of these cars.

I do sincerely hope the new Polo comes to India to give proper competition to the N Line. But seeing the likes of the Taigun and Kushaq interior quality, I wish the new Polo doesn't go the same way. The 10 year old model still beats the new MQB based cars in build quality!
vedirah is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:39   #20
BHPian

Expected news but still kind of bittersweet.

Of course this is a really old generation car but still sweeps the floor with most of the competition available in India currently. If they really want to bring a new Polo, they better get the real Polo sold overseas (modified to within 4 mts) instead of doing some kind of hack job on a Virtus and slapping the Polo logo on it.

It's been the enthusiast's choice for a decade now. I'm happy I got mine last year and with this news I'll plan to keep it with me for a very very long time. It's mod-friendly, relatively pocket friendly and so much fun to drive! If it doesn't give too much trouble, I guess I'll keep it as a beater for 10+ years - planned mods should keep it looking and feeling fresh and I'm sure the secondary market for Polo accesories will continue to thrive

Another good small car (after the EcoSport) goes away!
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:40   #21
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal View Post
Well, that's disappointing..
I have booked the Polo H+ in the 1st week of Feb, with a really long waiting period of 4-6 months.

I am not sure what's next, should I wait and expect to be lucky to get this legend delivered to me? or wait for VW to call me after 4 months to inform me that Polo will no longer be available..

Or simply just cancel the booking and look for something else?
I would say any wait for this car is worth it. If you cancel and buy any other car I'm sure you will regret whenever you see a Polo TSI on road. The car is near to perfect and any other in this price range will be an excuse. Let it be VW to close your purchase and not you. Good things take time to materialise .
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Go on VW, give us a farewell edition special with some decals and badges that we LOVE!
I believe the Matt edition was the farewell special for all of us. That said I do hope they plan something for the Polo that established VW as a brand in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbardhan View Post
I got mine in December. I think I was lucky. Let's hope the owneship experience will be pleasant.
Congratulations! I was lucky to get a Matt edition and I can say with fair confidence (coming from owning a Vento for last 6 years and Polo for the last 3 months) that you will have a wonderful ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
If it doesn't give too much trouble, I guess I'll keep it as a beater for 10+ years - planned mods should keep it looking and feeling fresh and I'm sure the secondary market for Polo accesories will continue to thrive

Another good small car (after the EcoSport) goes away!
You just spoke my mind Shreyas. And I'm sure our cars will last long enough for our kids to train on them & become car enthusiasts. That said, I am reminded of an auto journalist's words today - India is losing out on some really fun to drive cars.
sameer_vwagner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:55   #23
BHPian

The fact is that there is no solid substitute for Polo even today. I wanted to buy Polo 10 years ago and then it was expensive to buy since I had a limited budget.

Today I can finally buy Polo and have booked one in Feb' 22. I really hope I get my hands on one before it's all over. If not, I am planning to buy a cheapass car with an AMT box and run it for the next 1-2 years until the new model is launched. I do have my hopes pinned onto Altroz DCT, but would it be this fun to drive, is the question.
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:58   #24
BHPian

The Polo is a brand itself in India, sucks if there is no successor planned to it.
I think the current polo will be one of those cars that will go on to become a future classic here in India (specially the stock ones )

Also, it's sad that we have lost some really good cars in the recent times, the Fords, the Duster and now the Polo.

Last edited by DIV17 : 22nd February 2022 at 10:04.
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:21   #25
BHPian

It is sad to see the car being discontinued, with no concrete confirmation that they are going to launch the new model anytime soon.

I did try to buy a Polo GT at the fag end of last year, but I am glad I chose the NLine over it, especially with the almost non-existent VW service network in this part of the country, coupled with my gut feeling that this brilliant car would be discontinued.

These good drivers' car are dwindling each year.
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
It is sad to see the car being discontinued, with no concrete confirmation that they are going to launch the new model anytime soon.
These good drivers' car are dwindling each year.
Consolidation is the name of the game nowadays. All OEM's will try to commonise platforms as much as possible to derive the best economies of scale:
Maruti - Suzuki => HearTECT. The Brezza is the only outlier here, still being underpinned by the old SWIFT platform. From the next generation this will change

Renault - Nissan => CMF-A/B family. The reason why Duster's old M-0 platform has been canned. And Nissan's "V"-platform on which the old "Doraemon-eyed" Micra sat saw the end of day.

Tata Motors: Moving to AMP (ALFA) platform. Subsequent generations of Tiago, Tigor and Nexon will also be born thus. The Omega platform will be the basis for larger vehicles.

VW - Skoda: MQB-A0-IN is the flavour. No business sense in continuing a line with the old PQ-25, on which the Polo, Vento and Rapid were based. They will free up the capacity and build Kushaq's - Taigun's instead. The Polo successor is being debated too on a shortened MQB-A0-IN to take on the Baleno-i20-Altroz trio. If the Germans come up with a business case, they'll go for it. Even if done today, a potential new Polo will hit the market - maybe in 3rd quarter 2025.

If done right, new platforms can be superior compared to their predecessors in terms of vehicle dynamics, packaging efficiency, crashworthiness and also support a range of electrified / hybrid drivetrains.Prime example is Tata. The Advanced Modular Platform, (ALFA in marketing jargon), underpinning the Altroz and Punch family is genuinely impressive in its overall performance characteristics.

Let's hope VW brings in a better Polo for India. Kitted out with the two nice engines that they already have; the 1.0 L and the 1.5L turbo petrols, it can indeed reclaim the crown of India's performance hatch.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Aren't the Kushaq and Taigun basically India specific new generation Polo? I don't think VW will bring anything in the under 10lakh price range. They're still in the delusion that their badge has same value as their other German counterparts and enough number of people will keep their dealerships happy with the high profit low production models they seem to be happy restricting to.
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:09   #28
BHPian

That’s sad news, especially that we do not have replacement coming in for the Polo.
Polo has been my first love and would have been my first car. However it changed to Punto D which served me extremely well for 10 years and then followed up with the Abarth last year (preowned) which was something i wanted to own after my test drive when it launched.

I really wanted to own a Polo in its current form and looks like it’s not going to happen anymore. :( For me it’s still the best looking hatch. If only they updated the dash and did a little rework on the rear seat, it would have been awesome.

Really looking forward to the new gen to launch in India! Common VW, you need to bring the Polo here. You owe us that car, we Indians showed enormous love for the Polo for 12 long years!
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:11   #29
BHPian

I'm really glad that i got 1.0TSI MT just over a year back! Gonna hold on to my precious possession for as much as I can! 😈
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:29   #30

No matter how expected, this news does make the heart heavy. Polo was a brand in itself, so much that VW dropped the word Volkswagen from the car some time back. While other competing brands had multiple changes and facelift, the looks for Polo remained the same over a very long period - it was always contemporary.

A drivers car will always be remembered fondly by the Polo Owners even when they have "graduated" to other vehicle.

Long live Polo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks