Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2022, 10:17   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors

Fair enough to offset the cost and offer retrofit later

Although quite weird in normal times but considering the chip shortage this is acceptable. The owners also get to experience the inconvenience and appreciate the feature better a few months down the line. Hopefully Skoda communicates it to them once they're available for a retrofit.

For only the Style variant getting it IMO it should only be on the variants this is being removed from else it would be a price reduction for others which would be unfair to Style owners and Skoda

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st February 2022 at 13:18. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 10:55   #137
BHPian

Zac says that the cost of retro fitment is 15k for both mirrors. I wonder if its going to be that cheap! What if the delearship is going to charge you more, saying that the price has increased or the usual exorbitant labour + taxes bs. Or is it that Skoda is willing to take a loss for the sake of saving its face?
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 11:18   #138
BHPian

Has the news still not reached the Skoda dealerships across the country? Asked my sa about the ORVM deletion and retrofit news. He says he doesn't know. Is Skoda's internal communication so weak??

Last edited by Rjeevan : 1st February 2022 at 11:22.
Rjeevan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 11:20   #139
BHPian

Is there any update from Taigun dealers on this? So far we've only seen skoda being active about retrofitting the feature
Old 1st February 2022, 11:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

Oops, doesn't sound premium (leave alone looks). Well, if Skoda is finding this solution to work, I don't quite think a customer who expects all premium car would be fine with this settlement. It's a personal choice anyway, but I wouldn't be fine with this arrangement. And it doesn't extend across models.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 13:15   #141
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I took delivery of a 2022 Skoda Kushaq Ambition TSI MT on 27 January. I read the thread on the feature deletion on Team BHP and wanted to put these to rest with the picture of my car’s front door mirror adjuster.

The electric folding function has been completely removed. See the picture of the driver’s door pad where it has been removed (the knob needs to be moved 180 degrees from the base position for the folding function, which you can compare with the official review picture):
Name:  image.png
Views: 760
Size:  408.4 KB

Quote:
The auto folding function is enabled by a software setting and ironically, Skoda still has the option in the settings screen:
Name:  image 1.png
Views: 725
Size:  211.2 KB

Quote:
I have also written to Zac about the Rs. 20,000 discount not being applicable to the Ambition variant, which really makes me feel short changed. It’s inferior treatment compared to higher variants.

My hunch is that the other variants saw a price hike and hence, the discount of Rs. 20,000 is being given after the feature deletion. The Ambition variant has not had a price hike yet and hence, the savings are being realized fully by Skoda.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2022 at 13:16.
Aditya is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 13:18   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Zac says that the cost of retro fitment is 15k for both mirrors.
Sounds about right. Add 2.5-3k for the new mirror knob unit with the folding option and it touches the 20k ballpark they’re quoting.

I hope Taigun owners also get a similar consolation.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 13:26   #143

This now restricts Skoda from increasing the spare part price in near future. They might have to sell it at 15k in case of accidents also. It is a reasonable price for a electric auto fold mirror I guess.
Old 1st February 2022, 13:40   #144
BHPian

This is hilarious
Especially coming from a brand like Skoda.

Few What if from my side:
  • A customer doesn't know about this case. Doesn't enquire about side mirror, doesn't get a discount and gets manual side mirrors? Skoda dealers are not that friendly to be frank.
  • Skoda takes 6 month to 1 year or more for retro fitting the side mirror. Who knows we may even get a facelift before this.
  • At the time of retro fitting, Skoda charges more than 15k. The price of spare parts always increases with time.
  • There are glitches or issues in the side mirrors fitted later?

Ideally,
  • Skoda should Officially reduce the price of that specific variant.
  • Send updated price list to all dealers. Let there be no scope of cheating by any dealer.
  • Release official press release that Style variant will come with manual mirror and reduced price.
  • Make no commitment about retro fitting or anything. We never know what future holds for us.
rAijin_ is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 15:12   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
This is hilarious

• A customer doesn't know about this case. Doesn't enquire about side mirror, doesn't get a discount and gets manual side mirrors? Skoda dealers are not that friendly to be frank.
  • Skoda takes 6 month to 1 year or more for retro fitting the side mirror. Who knows we may even get a facelift before this.
  • At the time of retro fitting, Skoda charges more than 15k. The price of spare parts always increases with time.

Ideally,
  • Send updated price list to all dealers. Let there be no scope of cheating by any dealer.
  • Release official press release that Style variant will come with manual mirror and reduced price.
  • Make no commitment about retro fitting or anything. We never know what future holds for us.

Couldn't agree more on this. This is how they need to show how different and customer centric they are. Else this is a very crude place to survive, e.g. - Ford, GM - despite being better in terms of quality of products, maintenance cost and effective service network.

No doubt the heart of both the cars - 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI are gems and no other competitor can stand the challenge, some even with their diesel power can't provide the similar driving experience but then, you need to package this well. This has to be supported with best in class service and knit/finish quality.

Every customer today does his due diligence, thanks to youtube and other social media and is cherry picking things. If you can provide a complete near to perfect package with some premium (which is already there I think for Kushaq/Taigun), you can certainly do much bigger numbers one can imagine. But then, it also depends on the company if they really want to do this or they are happy having a simple share of the market.
Mickey1986 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 16:42   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
This is hilarious

Ideally,
I do agree on the concerns raised and also support the proposed resolution apart from the 4th point. A commitment about retro fitting is a necessity with a maximum timeline.

Based on that customers would do a balancing act. Driving pleasure sans a convenient / useful / necessary feature (in that order of preference). The ones who are cancelling their bookings may take a second look if a retrofit guarantee with a parts availability timeline is given. Merely a token price reduction curtailing an useful feature for a 18-20 lakh car may not bring back the expected numbers to Skoda.

Strangely enough the dealers in Noida and Kolkata are claiming that there is no dearth of customer enquiries between December and January. Makes me wonder that perhaps a lot of people are not enquiring about this aspect and the dealers are also keeping quiet on the subject as you so rightly pointed out above.
fossilpastprime is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:42   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Oops, doesn't sound premium (leave alone looks). Well, if Skoda is finding this solution to work, I don't quite think a customer who expects all premium car would be fine with this settlement. It's a personal choice anyway, but I wouldn't be fine with this arrangement. And it doesn't extend across models.
As a Nov '21 model owner of the Kushaq Style 1.0L MT (I have the electrically retractable OVRMs), I'd say your point about a semi-premium car not having such an essential feature is spot on.

The Kushaq will slowly lose a sheen somewhere in the minds of the potential customers if Skoda doesn't get their act sorted out fast.

Mind you, even if a potential buyer chooses to forgo this feature, they then face the possibility of buying into two other issues plaguing some of us present owners still (including myself) - door beading replacements and dash/left door panel rattling. Just low quality parts issues which should not have come from a brand like Skoda.

It all seems to be getting a little messed up in Kushaq department. Strange.

What particularly boggles my mind with regards to the auto-fold/electrically retractable OVRM feature is: How come the other brand's models in the same price bracket are able to provide this feature?

2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-screenshot-20220202-154037.png
rideon74 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 16:52   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon74 View Post
As a Nov '21 model owner of the Kushaq Style 1.0L MT (I have the electrically retractable OVRMs), I'd say your point about a semi-premium car not having such an essential feature is spot on.

The Kushaq will slowly lose a sheen somewhere in the minds of the potential customers if Skoda doesn't get their act sorted out fast.

Mind you, even if a potential buyer chooses to forgo this feature, they then face the possibility of buying into two other issues plaguing some of us present owners still (including myself) - door beading replacements and dash/left door panel rattling. Just low quality parts issues which should not have come from a brand like Skoda.

It all seems to be getting a little messed up in Kushaq department. Strange.

What particularly boggles my mind with regards to the auto-fold/electrically retractable OVRM feature is: How come the other brand's models in the same price bracket are able to provide this feature?
I quite agree with you. How is the retractable mirror the only miss when the chip shortage should affect all the other digitals of the car. It's strange. But the cost cutting methods that these car makers are coming up with is quite surprising too. You don't get head rests on base model cars.

I for one would not have bought the XUV3OO if important features were missed and excluded as part of cost cutting. I lost out on heated ORVMs as M&M axed them from Nov 21 models. I was fine with it. However, I got all the other utility features like - 2 door request sensors, all wheel discs, 7 airbags, dual zone AC, steering modes, front parking sensors, and all passenger seat belt warning with my model. I wouldn't have bought if the main features were excluded.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 19:14   #149
BHPian

While the discount offered is good for skimping the feature along with possibility of retrofitting them in the future, what really bothers me is the competency of the folks at the dealership level to actually do the retrofit. These guys falter on the basics of regular service many times. And retrofitting electrically foldable mirrors is by no means a simple task. Customers should not go through a different ordeal altogether while trying to get this retrofit.
anuragbagur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 17:57   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Is there any update from Taigun dealers on this? So far we've only seen skoda being active about retrofitting the feature
Topline variant gets a 15k discount same as Skoda, checked with the SA at EVM Kochi. Topline variant gets no other offers. The SA also said there is an offer running this month for Highline AT (no MT) where the 4 year SVP package is offered for free.

He also said whenever the parts for the electrically foldable ORVMs are available, can get it installed by paying 15k.
varkey is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks