Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 11:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hope they do very well in the US and then get out of India !!
Old 4th June 2007, 11:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Hope they do very well in the US and then get out of India !!
why this acute apathy towards Mahindra buddy?

On a more serious note they noted somewhere that to avoid the chicken tax Mahindra is considering moving their manufacturing base out of India, most probably to Georgia, US or else somewhere in Canada or Australia.
Old 4th June 2007, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Manufacturing in a US location would be expensive.

(Related Thread).
Yes could be fromm the Labour cost standpoint, but then as the volumes may not be high initially, what Mahindra can do is to rotate the workforce between the India Plants and that in US. In a sense say 5% of the workforce in India (say the best performers) can be rewarded by a US deputation for a year or so. In that way the India workers would be motivated to work better and the visiting workers are paid much less than their US counterparts, (so much that the air-fares etc are easily broken even soon).

But I guess, it would have been better to improve quality as well as design in their guinea pig markets before taking the plunge in the US. Because even the Guinea Pigs are complaining.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:47   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When you have a detailed Scorpio review (with 30 comments!) by an American test-drive website, you just know something is cooking : Linky to TTAC.
Old 4th July 2007, 15:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
. In a sense say 5% of the workforce in India (say the best performers) can be rewarded by a US deputation for a year or so. In that way the India workers would be motivated to work better and the visiting workers are paid much less than their US counterparts, (so much that the air-fares etc are easily broken even soon).

But I guess, it would have been better to improve quality as well as design in their guinea pig markets before taking the plunge in the US. Because even the Guinea Pigs are complaining.
Ohh So I get to process Visas for the Mahindra's then...? I see a new employer for me now...On a serious note, it good that Mahindra is seeing new avenues...
Old 4th July 2007, 15:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Coke, Levi's, Stetson, pickup trucks, HD - nothing is more American than these icons. If Mahindra can sell pickups in America successfully, then ..... I don't know. But if they use "cheap" as their unstated USP then they will surely be digging their own grave in the US.
By the way, did these vehicles pass the US crash tests?
Old 4th July 2007, 15:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra's fate might yet lie in any new appetite the US market has developed for diesels in general, of late. I dont see petrol Scorpios being MM's stronger point, rather their Achilees Heel, if it comes down to petrol offerings in the US
Old 4th July 2007, 19:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

US market is protected against pickup and van imports...which means they have to assemble here. Makes the whole project riskier.
Old 5th July 2007, 08:22   #24
BHPian

It was nice to the Mahindra ad on the TV.....must say very world class ad.....very impressed...bought a smile to my face.....
Old 7th July 2007, 01:02   #25
BHPian

When they are not able to sell in Middle east and africa .....how can they sell in US?
Old 7th July 2007, 09:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
It was nice to the Mahindra ad on the TV.....must say very world class ad.....very impressed...bought a smile to my face.....
Mahindra ad on US TV ? For which product?? I think they got there faster than we(I) expected.
Old 14th July 2007, 23:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Check this out : No Limits 4X4 Jeep Customizing and Mahindra Scorpio Dealer located in Arlington, Texas. Close to Dallas and Fort Worth - No Boundaries 4X4 .
Old 21st March 2009, 10:48   #28
BHPian

Mahindra Getaway Spied in the US

Found this in Road&Track web site.

Mahindra aims to the facelifted Getaway for 20K USD in 2010.

Road & Track Magazine - Spied: 2010 Mahindra pickup truck (3/2009)
Old 21st March 2009, 13:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

from the photo, looks like it will also have the steel tooth treatment similar to Xylo!

otherwise the white colour makes the Getaway looks nice!
Old 21st March 2009, 22:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well i think the Getaway's a bit crude for western markets.Look where the rear door shutline over the rear wheel arch ends,way before the arch has actualy begun.Its makes it very evident that a Scorpio has been cut and and a tacky looking rear deck has been welded.And with no side cladding it looks too spartan.Mahindra should rectify these small but important details..new Scorpio facelift incorporation looks better nevertheless!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks