Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 16:40   #151
BHPian

I saw the TR40 being transported on a truck near the M&M Kandivali Plant.

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Wow! Is Mahindra silently making its way into the USA? EDIT: Got EPA go-ahead Pg. 9-snc01158.jpg  

Wow! Is Mahindra silently making its way into the USA? EDIT: Got EPA go-ahead Pg. 9-snc01159.jpg  

Wow! Is Mahindra silently making its way into the USA? EDIT: Got EPA go-ahead Pg. 9-snc01160.jpg  

Old 8th October 2010, 18:45   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems there isn't much external difference other than the bumpers,
But more underskin changes will be there.
Old 8th October 2010, 18:53   #153
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Seems there isn't much external difference other than the bumpers,
But more underskin changes will be there.
Guess that the cab is a bit bigger after the rear door to improve rear leg space
Old 9th October 2010, 09:10   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope don't think so, it looks the same as the indian Getaway.
Old 9th October 2010, 20:22   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
While the idea of a small economical diesel pick up in the US is appealing, the Scorpio would be the wrong option. The car is outdated in India let alone in the US. The critics especially will have a field day with its shortcomings and will be tough for Mahindra to fix such a reputation.

The best option will be to wait for its upcoming SUV and perhaps a pick up on the same platform. As it will be launched in the near future there shouldn't be any significant sales lost.
IMO even the upcoming (after one year more or less) SUV will not be at par with the global competition. So it does not make good business sense to wait for it. AFAIK, most foreign (especially asian) cars when they entered the US market were looking weird and then gradually got better. I don't have any problems with M&M following that route.

Currently I feel that M&M adheres to "function over form" and I hope they bring better form and function over the next few iterations. So I am excited for them to enter US market ASAP.
Old 18th October 2010, 23:51   #156
Senior - BHPian

Report: Mahindra Diesel Pickup Launch in U.S. Indefinitely Delayed - PickupTrucks.com News

what now ?
Old 19th October 2010, 04:48   #157
Senior - BHPian

I think mahindra is going to miss the boat..it'll take 2-3 yrs before Ford and GM think about a small diesel truck and mahindra could've captured the work truck class.
Old 19th October 2010, 08:28   #158
BHPian

I read that too. It seems like both parties are waiting for the other side to blink. Mahindra is waiting for the dealers to pressure/sue GV for their money back and GV is waiting for Mahindra to make some mistake so that they either "legally" violate their agreement or make nice with GV to get returns on their investment.

However IMO Mahindra is trying to bargain to reduce GV's share but I am not sure if the wait is worth the bargain because not only they are loosing time, but they are also loosing out on the PR front. I hope this resolves soon and Mahindra enters the US market.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:02   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

During the Aria Launch, Ratan Tata or some other senior official was asked about the US Launch and the reply was that the US Market is the toughest to get into and there are so many other markets that are easier to enter. I think this is the right strategy. Many global manufacturers including Hyundai/Kia/Peugot etc failed in their first attempts to crack into the US market. Only people who have lived in the USA and followed the market will understand what I am saying. The demand for small pick ups is so miniscule that most of the US majors don't really care about this segment. Even the Tacoma which was a small truck has now grown in size and bhp. Also Americans don't really care about diesels like we do. The highest selling trucks are the Ford F Series with the V8 engine despite a V6 option.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:36   #160
BHPian

4WD Xylo for US?

While on my way to Shirdi last week, I saw a LHD Xylo being parked at one of the highway hotels. The exterior styling was similar to the one what we have here except for the 4WD badge on the rear as well as the hubs. The hubs looked like the ones on Gypsy. Are they freewheeling one? Interior was the usual standard affair except for the color scheme which was all black and the centre console which looked to be having the "Piano Finish".

Sorry could not click any pictures :(
Old 19th October 2010, 16:04   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Only people who have lived in the USA and followed the market will understand what I am saying. The demand for small pick ups is so miniscule that most of the US majors don't really care about this segment. Even the Tacoma which was a small truck has now grown in size and bhp. Also Americans don't really care about diesels like we do. The highest selling trucks are the Ford F Series with the V8 engine despite a V6 option.
M&M is trying to create a niche market, I believe. Small, economical reliable diesel trucks. No life style vehicles here. And Mr. Goenka certainly lived in the US.

But have to agree, this particular market in a tough nut to crack, and now they have this scam with the local distributor. And the signals from the southern hemisphere have n't been very encouraging either. A real real uphill task in front of then indeed!
Old 19th October 2010, 16:17   #162
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra should have been really hush till the actual date of launch and then start to issue statements.

Instead the wise idea was to issue a new launch date every quarter. This has turned into a joke now. They are just tarnishing their brand name even before launching the actual product.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:19   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
During the Aria Launch, Ratan Tata or some other senior official was asked about the US Launch and the reply was that the US Market is the toughest to get into and there are so many other markets that are easier to enter. I think this is the right strategy. Many global manufacturers including Hyundai/Kia/Peugot etc failed in their first attempts to crack into the US market. Only people who have lived in the USA and followed the market will understand what I am saying. The demand for small pick ups is so miniscule that most of the US majors don't really care about this segment. Even the Tacoma which was a small truck has now grown in size and bhp. Also Americans don't really care about diesels like we do. The highest selling trucks are the Ford F Series with the V8 engine despite a V6 option.
I beg to differ. I've been speaking to a lot of people out here and they all miss the ISUZU PUP which was a small diesel pickup. small diesel work trucks have a demand none have fulfilled. True all trucks have out grown their original size and thats one of the reason FORD has discontinued the ranger too. but then, the ranger's resale value increased after that coz its a small work truck.
Old 19th October 2010, 22:06   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
And Mr. Goenka certainly lived in the US.

But have to agree, this particular market in a tough nut to crack, and now they have this scam with the local distributor. And the signals from the southern hemisphere have n't been very encouraging either. A real real uphill task in front of then indeed!
Even Mahindra studied in US, Not sure how Mr Goenka convinced Anand that their current products in India can be sold in US?I am sure, MM lost lot of money in this, Hopefully this will have some positive impact on the quality of vehicles sold in India. Forget this partnership, is there any partnerships M&M was successful (Ford, Renault are examples).
Old 19th October 2010, 22:16   #165
Senior - BHPian

Went through this thread and I think Mahindra is starting off in the wrong foot. The option of trucks available in US from other brands like Ford, GMC, Chevy, Nissan etc are simply going to outclass a M&M vehicle in every way one can think about. I have never seen anyone drive a diesel pickup in US, and the smallest diesel vehicle that I have noticed is a schoolbus (diesel costs more than petrol here in US).
My 2 cents - Mahindra would do better if they harness the power of Reva and go in for a petrol-electric hybrid - thats the next generation of cars going to be launched - already we have civic hybrid, prius hybrid etc selling and have nissan leaf, chevy volt coming through.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks