Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 13:14   #46
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Trailhawk facelift launch expected in February 2022

Toyota has moved on to 50L on road levels almost. They keep encouraging each other, on price and on trail.
Old 28th February 2022, 13:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

While I am yet to do the full review, few impressions
  • I was expecting an all terrain tyre. What is of offer is Falken H/T. Anyway, the traditional tread pattern seemingly indicate a more durable tyre. Something that reminds be of JKs and CEATs.
  • Exterior look wise, the Trailhawk is closer to lower variants, than to the S, with the black skirting and black lower bumper plus 17 inch rims . I find S more appealing.
  • 20mm increase in ground clearance with better approach angle is a big plus. However, they have not repositioned the AdBlue tank, which still sits low, and an eyesore to look at.
  • We knew that they are holding the "Rock mode" for Trailhawk. So no surprises there.
  • Other than rock mode, the off-road hardware and software seem to be same with S.

So, it boils down to personal preference and thickness of one's purse.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 13:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is the price list for Bangalore. On road price is almost touching the 40L mark.

Attachment 2278180
It's almost 2L more than the Model S.

What is the additional hardware for the 2L? I am not able to figure out the mechanical changes other than smaller cheaper 17 inch rims and 1 inch ride height.

Shouldn't the Trailhawk be a cheaper version by 20-30K to the Model S with smaller rims, no body coloured side cladding etc.

Is the 1.5L ex showroom just for the badges and the reprofiled bumpers?
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:08   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

^ The primary draw for this vehicle is the looks and the Jeep badge. In that aspect, trailhawk is perhaps doing alright. The base sport variant diesel MT seems to be very VFM within the model range.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 18:08   #50
BHPian

Frankly, the trailhawk comes across more like an enhancement after a year of the Compass-S, and not a separate model. It is bound to eat into each other's market, as at this price bracket it has very few peers. Maybe it is to encourage Compass-s buyers to move to the trailhawk as 2L smells of better profit margin
Old 2nd March 2022, 13:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What is the additional hardware for the 2L? I am not able to figure out the mechanical changes other than smaller cheaper 17 inch rims and 1 inch ride height.
Do Model S 4x4 AT and Compass get exactly the same off-road hardware, viz. 4wd low (which is not actually low-range in the true sense), 4wd lock, and different off-road modes? If so, the only other changes are smaller rims, higher ride height (with same suspension setup, I guess), and better approach, break-over, and departure angles. Definitely does not warrant the 1.75 lac premium it currently commands, unless one considers the "Trail rated badge" as worth the same.

Edit: I guess "Rock mode" is something that the Model S 4x4 AT does not get. Not sure what it does, though, over and above the 4wd low.

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd March 2022 at 13:11.
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Do Model S 4x4 AT and Compass get exactly the same off-road hardware, viz. 4wd low (which is not actually low-range in the true sense), 4wd lock, and different off-road modes? If so, the only other changes are smaller rims, higher ride height (with same suspension setup, I guess), and better approach, break-over, and departure angles. Definitely does not warrant the 1.75 lac premium it currently commands, unless one considers the "Trail rated badge" as worth the same.

Edit: I guess "Rock mode" is something that the Model S 4x4 AT does not get. Not sure what it does, though, over and above the 4wd low.
Although I would not want to believe that the hardware is different (because I bought a 4x4 AT few months back ), having a rock mode might require a slightly different setting and response mechanism. If you engage the rock mode the car will ensure that you have enough traction to crawl over the rocks. So there is a possibility that the hardware was modified slightly. Just my guess.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd March 2022 at 15:50.
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Although I would not want to believe that the hardware is different (because I bought a 4x4 AT few months back ), having a rock mode might require a slightly different setting and response mechanism. If you engage the rock mode the car will ensure that you have enough traction to crawl over the rocks. So there is a possibility that the hardware was modified slightly. Just my guess.
This video articulates the difference between Model S and Trailhawk quite well:

From what I could gather, the key differences (vis-à-vis Model S) are:
  • Higher GC
  • Smaller rims with taller sidewalls for the tires
  • Better underbody protection
  • Better approach, departure, and break-over angles
  • Rock mode - essentially seems to be a software tweak (as opposed to a hardware change) which minimizes wheel-spin over rocky terrain by modulating throttle response appropriately, I believe
  • Rear tow-hook
  • Cosmetic bits
  • And of course, the "Trail Rated" badge

As summarized quite well at the end of the video, if you want a luxury mid-size SUV which is quite capable over varied terrain, get a regular Compass 4x4 but if you want to keep going when the regular Compass stops, go for the Trailhawk!

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd March 2022 at 16:34.
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 19:30   #54
BHPian

Glad to note that the highway handling is as good as the regular Compass. I thought with the added lift, it would have body roll and be bouncy but the review says otherwise.

Would it not be possible to fit the angled bumper and an underbody plate into the Compass S? If that's possible, then the only thing that would be missing is the rock mode.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 00:56   #55
BHPian

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...778551658.html

Jeep CEO says he is not happy with volumes in india.

But ironically FCA have not thought of launching some models which can be VFM even in premium segment like this. For instance, they should have offered model S with 4x2 MT with cruise control, Trailhawk version with manual transmission, replace steering wheel blanks on lower models with criuse control or atleast audio controls, etc. Who likes to buy a car close to 28-30 lacs and have blanks on steering wheel ? when you are asking such a high price, atleast give some proper features which are bare minimum.

I'm honestly in no position to teach business to company like Jeep but there are combinations they can do to satisfy average higher middle class Indian who definitely cross shop various segments and price ranges. For example, Seltos GT line is more value for money even though it is not as safe as Compass model S. 13-14 lacs on road difference is huge even with 2 ltr diesel engine and ZF gear box which don't provide comfort / sports mode for city drives. I see more and more GT line Seltos on roads so when so many buyers are spending 21-22 lacs for Seltos, I'm sure if the model and features mix is right, there could be lot of buyers who would prefer Jeep moniker for few more lacs.
Sachin V.W. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 08:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin V.W. View Post

But ironically FCA have not thought of launching some models which can be VFM even in premium segment like this. For instance, they should have offered model S with 4x2 MT with cruise control, Trailhawk version with manual transmission, replace steering wheel blanks on lower models with criuse control or atleast audio controls, etc. Who likes to buy a car close to 28-30 lacs and have blanks on steering wheel ? when you are asking such a high price, atleast give some proper features which are bare minimum.

I'm honestly in no position to teach business to company like Jeep but there are combinations they can do to satisfy average higher middle class Indian who definitely cross shop various segments and price ranges. For example, Seltos GT line is more value for money even though it is not as safe as Compass model S. 13-14 lacs on road difference is huge even with 2 ltr diesel engine and ZF gear box which don't provide comfort / sports mode for city drives. I see more and more GT line Seltos on roads so when so many buyers are spending 21-22 lacs for Seltos, I'm sure if the model and features mix is right, there could be lot of buyers who would prefer Jeep moniker for few more lacs.
Honestly if the current lineup for the Jeep compass was about 3-4l cheaper they would likely triple their volumes.
sid3091 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:

But ironically FCA have not thought of launching some models which can be VFM even in premium segment like this..
I think they need an entry level diesel automatic too! If I had one I wouldn’t have spent all my money on a model S. He can be unhappy with the volumes. Then what do they do? They keep comparing India to Brazil. The entire vehicle landscape in Brazil is very different. To maintain the aspiration quotient, Jeep definitely pushed the needle quite a bit when it came to price
sheelapratosh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I think they need an entry level diesel automatic too! If I had one I wouldn’t have spent all my money on a model S. He can be unhappy with the volumes. Then what do they do? They keep comparing India to Brazil. The entire vehicle landscape in Brazil is very different. To maintain the aspiration quotient, Jeep definitely pushed the needle quite a bit when it came to price
One quote that really stood out was:

"The automaker sells about 15,000 SUVs a month in the South American country across three models compared to India where it sells less than 1,000 SUVs a month"

While the comparison might not be apples to apples - those Indian sales numbers might just start becoming inconsequential from Jeep's perspective. At this rate we can expect another global car manufacturer to unceremoniously leave our shores. Something is just fundamentally wrong with the auto scene in this country.

I will not be surprised if in future we will only have a handful of car manufacturers remaining.
solaris007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 19:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Honestly if the current lineup for the Jeep compass was about 3-4l cheaper they would likely triple their volumes.
On the contrary I think the higher price of Compass is helping in its sales (just my assumption though). If the pricing is low more people will start comparing it with Hector, Harrier etc and complain about lack of space and other factors. A lot of Compass sales will be due to the Jeep brand image that some people have in their mind. If they price it in the range of Harrier, Hector or others the this will get diluted, and probably thats why Jeep kept the price higher- will bring in more sales / profit and also keep it as a desired product for some.

If you see the sales numbers, the facelift with higher price is bringing in more numbers than earlier- though the updated interiors would be the major contributor, but still...

Last edited by sunikkat : 4th March 2022 at 19:48.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 20:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jeep CEO says he is not happy with volumes in India.
Reading this statement, one would wonder if he has ever seen the price list of his products in India For all its quality (which did disappoint in the initial batches of the facelift, BTW) and superb driving dynamics, the Compass is a smallish 5-seater at the end of the day. In a country where size matters, especially when it comes to SUVs, it is unrealistic to expect high volumes for the Compass at current prices. Moreover, the variant lineup has significant gaps - for instance, if I want a 4x4 Compass, I'm forced to pick an AT, like it or not. Also, vice versa - if I am looking for a diesel AT, I have to pick the 4x4, which I may never use in the car's lifetime! C'mon Jeep! With all due respect, Mr. Meunier has a lot of homework to do when it comes to understanding Indian auto market before he can "expect volumes"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
On the contrary I think the higher price of Compass is helping in its sales
I would beg to disagree. At one point in time, I loved the Compass for the way it handles and that lovely 2.0 diesel but then the ghastly on-road prices forced me to shut it out of my purview. Only if I want a small, nimble 4x4 compact SUV, the Compass makes a compelling case. Otherwise, there are better VFM options in the market.

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th March 2022 at 21:13.
cool_dube is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks