Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2023, 22:33   #211
BHPian

Re: 2022 Toyota Camry launched at Rs. 41.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Planning to try a higher profile on our Lexus which has the same tyre size: 235/45R18.
So it will now be 235/50R18.
I verified the alternate tire sizes using tire calculator web app. It showed me the ideal change in view of ride comfort would be 235/50/17. But I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find it given the rare spec. Your upgrade to 245/45/18 would yield only a minuscule increase in sidewall height, hence I’m doubtful of the end result.
Old 19th September 2023, 22:41   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
I verified the alternate tire sizes using tire calculator web app. It showed me the ideal change in view of ride comfort would be 235/50/17. But I’m not sure if I’ll be able to find it given the rare spec. Your upgrade to 245/45/18 would yield only a minuscule increase in sidewall height, hence I’m doubtful of the end result.
Im looking at switching to 235/50R18, not 245/45R18.

For 17 inch, you can consider the 215/55R17 option which was standard on the Lexus ES base trim and also an option on the camry sold globally.
The car doesn't really require the 235 width tyres unless you see yourself doing hard launches frequently.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 23:50   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Im looking at switching to 235/50R18, not 245/45R18. .
Yes understood, but even 235/50/18 will yield a difference in tire diameter of 3.5%, it adds 25mm to ride height - it may cause speedo error as well as increase body roll.

My reply is based on calculation on the app. Real life results may vary.
Old 20th September 2023, 00:05   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Yes understood, but even 235/50/18 will yield a difference in tire diameter of 3.5%, it adds 25mm to ride height - it may cause speedo error as well as increase body roll.

My reply is based on calculation on the app. Real life results may vary.
The sidewall goes up by 9.5% to a fairly respectable amount - in fact this brings it down to 2-2.5% difference compared to 215/55R17, and is similar to the 235/50R17 size you are considering.
Another advantage is the increase in ground clearance as well, given both of these are fairly low cars which have a tendency to squat more under a heavier load.

In our case, I wasn't much interested in body roll since the car isn't really driven spiritedly so a marginal increase is fine but the ground clearance + ride quality improvement is what I am chasing after along with less damage prone profile, and if I can maintain the same look - nothing like it, because finding high quality and good looking alloys for the car is another expensive exercise - especially because in my case the Lexus alloys look beautiful and suit the car extremely well, just like in the case of the current camry.

Similarly for speedo reading - I will have to err on the side of caution.

Again - this is all in theory and based on what others have experienced - rather just Dhruv with his ES. I plan to change tyres in Oct/Nov once the car completes 4 years.

This is just a suggestion as if this works - you can swap it right out of the showroom and test it out - if still not satisfied, can sell these higher profile tyres and downsize to 17" but it saves the expensive and time to buy a set of good looking 17" alloys while addressing other issues like the ground clearance.

Do note - Suspension warranty would be void in either case - non OEM alloys / non OEM size.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 09:06   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do note - Suspension warranty would be void in either case - non OEM alloys / non OEM size.
Is the ground clearance and/or ride quality really so bad that one has to risk voiding suspension (and possibly transmission-related) warranty from day one? I have no personal experience but would not recommend taking such a drastic risk.

Does Toyota not sell any OEM 17" alloy to Camry owners which are in line with their warranty stipulations?

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th September 2023 at 09:17.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 11:37   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is the ground clearance and/or ride quality really so bad that one has to risk voiding suspension (and possibly transmission-related) warranty from day one? I have no personal experience but would not recommend taking such a drastic risk.

Does Toyota not sell any OEM 17" alloy to Camry owners which are in line with their warranty stipulations?
In India this generation of the Camry came with only 18" alloys, so even if you were able to import a pair of OEM Toyota alloys - you will have to see if they will allow a size of 235/50R17 as that isn't available globally or if Toyota India would even let OEM size in 17". Of course relations with dealer and all make a difference, but the risk is always there.

Regarding the ground clearance and ride quality: these tyres have one of the lowest sidewall heights in OEM manufacturers. Heck, I think the BMW 530i/530D come with more if not similar sidewall height! The E Class, A6 do with better sidewalls as well.

This makes the tyres fairly prone to damage on Indian roads, plus the low sidewall sees the car crash into potholes a lot more than absorb it - given the soft suspension is all about ride comfort it's a glaring oversight by Toyota.

As for ground clearance - it's an issue faced by many Lexus owners, though not as many Camry owners seem to highlight the issue - however the soft suspension + full load + not raised for India Suspension would see it scraping the odd speed breaker and maybe more if the driver isn't careful. While the underbody cladding would provide protection, for a car that is meant to be chauffeur driven and with a fill it, forget it attitude - this needs a little attention during service, routine checking for damages, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:24   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As for ground clearance - it's an issue faced by many Lexus owners, though not as many Camry owners seem to highlight the issue - however the soft suspension + full load + not raised for India Suspension would see it scraping the odd speed breaker and maybe more if the driver isn't careful. While the underbody cladding would provide protection, for a car that is meant to be chauffeur driven and with a fill it, forget it attitude - this needs a little attention during service, routine checking for damages, etc.
Agree on this. The suspension is on softer side and car bottoms out especially when folks occupy back seat. CKD might be the reason why Toyota has been lazy to tweak the suspension for Indian market.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2023, 14:27   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is the ground clearance and/or ride quality really so bad
Recollecting from my test drive a year back, the ground clearance by itself seems OK as long as you baby it 100% of the time and had just 2 people in it. But the suspension bottomed out quiet easily and scrapped 2 'Bangalore Normal' speed breakers when we rode with 4 people and no luggage in it.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:28   #219
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
The moment they hear the word Toyota, they immediately imagine the words “budget or SUV” but not the word “Luxury”. I doubt size defines luxury in India, else a Nissan Sunny that offers more leg room than the F10 5 series would be considered more luxurious.
In India - Toyota is low key a luxury brand . Probably due to the fact that Innova's & Fortuner's cost as much and a lot of the German luxury cars owners still buy them and travel in them for their comfort.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 21:18   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Where is the 'n'?
The way Toyota has been operating worldwide in the past few years and how their cars feel to drive, seems like Hyundai took it. Quite literally and figuratively.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 18:04   #221
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm considering purchasing the Camry and just wanted your opinion on the following:

1) How has the car held up so far? Any niggles to know of?

2) Is it possible to install Toyota's OEM Birds Eye View (360 Degree Camera) System? Has anyone tried installing any other 360 degree camera solution?

3) Do you guys think it is a good idea to purchase the car in 2024 - considering it is nearing the end of its life cycle (I find the interiors and exteriors of this generation to be much classier than the Ninth Generation - the dated Screen doesn't bother me as much - though 360 degree camera would be an essential and ADAS would be a nice to have feature.) - More so considering the offers available now with the expected increase in price in the 9th Generation Model when launched.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks