Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 08:34   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Getting here wasn't exactly easy for TATA. Now maintaining this position should be a priority for TATA. Hyundai and Kia positions are in threat by TATA and Mahindra if they don't stop selling lemons every now and then. I am keenly observing Mahindra XUV700 and awaiting its launch in Australia.

I got a 1.5 litre Ford Focus churning 188 BHP last week (ownership review coming soon), and a home grown SUV is what I would like to give a shot at - as long as there are no niggles and reliability issues.

Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India-d266fk4wwelg64xnv8bqr6n7v.jpg
Mr.Ogre is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 08:45   #107
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India

Wonderful job.

All Tata needs is a 4.3m SUV to rival Creta and a 4.3m mini MPV to rival ertiga based on the ALFA platform. They can simply use the Nexon power trains in the mini MPV. If they do this, I think Tata will permanantly stay at number 2 and 50k sales per month.

Also, it has become quite popular that Harrier is unreliable. My friend, a non car guy, liked the way Harrier looks, asked around and found that Harrier wasn't very reliable. He finally bought the Nexon home. One other friend bought an S Cross instead of the Harrier for the same reason.

If Tata fixes the Harrier issues, their sales will shoot up too.
Benoit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 08:56   #108
BHPian

Well done Tata! They have come a long way in the past 3-4 years.
However, staying in No.2 position or consistently selling 50k PVs every month is going to be tougher than they think.

I own a Zest since 2016, and I have experienced TASS in the past 6 years.
Tata needs to ramp up service center capacity, pronto. I see them completely overwhelmed by the crowd nowadays (not helped by the fact that newer models seem to have 6 months service intervals).
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:02   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Another 2nd for Tata Motors.

Tata Nexon becomes the second-best seller in India for May(dispatches).

Quote:
Nexon emerged as the best-selling Tata model and was also the best-selling SUV for May 2022. Creta was the sole Hyundai model to feature in the Top 10 list.

Tata Altroz and Tiago loses out in the race in its respective segments.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  63.7 KB

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd June 2022 at 10:09.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:55   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Another 2nd for Tata Motors.

Tata Nexon becomes the second-best seller in India for May(dispatches).
It’s an incredible feat that Tata achieved with Nexon. I must admit that I never liked Nexon before, but it is growing on me. On top of it Tata is adding so many additional variants like EV.
If only they had a CVT or TC gearbox on petrol, I would have got this over i20 for the city use. But then I guess AMT is bringing them more sales due to lesser cost.
Today if I have to buy an EV for city use, Nexon will be on top of my list. I would prefer this over ZS EV for the value.
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:59   #111
BHPian

They are consistently in the ballpark of 2nd spot for more than a quarter. Next is to consolidate the position and tick upwards.

Tata cars segment turn around (if and when it materializes) will be more like the Apple turnaround story - Starting as an underdog with the big monopolist controlling major market share, written off by the market multiple times, nose diving stock, but innovation and the right purchases and right products bringing them to the poll position.
warp_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:03   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramCS View Post

At the cost of oversimplifying here - Tata saw a gap is market, read Safety. They committed to safer products for Indians, had acquired better platforms to build better cars, designed their cars to at-least gather 4-stars initially (i remember, Nexon, when initially launched was 4-star), lead some brilliant campaigns to highlight their USP - lo & behold they are now on top of the charts.
I would like to add one more point here that has not been discussed and is also one of the reasons for Tata's success. The pricing of their cars is not based on the popularity of the product instead it's based on the market perception of the car. So they are having a very customer-centric approach here. The only grouse I have with them is that they should expand this approach to their other departments as well read after-sales.
AROO7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:24   #113
BHPian

Here's the list of table toppers (Top 25) for the month of May 2022.

Source https://www.rushlane.com/top-25-cars...-12437942.html

Nexon's numbers are wow . Eager to see how far it goes .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors dispatches beat Hyundai in December 2021 | Now the no.2 car maker in India-top25carsmay2022suvsnew2.jpg  

Sudarshan_N is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 23:25   #114
BHPian

Really happy to see Tata perform so well. They have put in a lot of work to understand the pulse of the market, bring out newer models and reach the No.2 position.
However, moving forward or even holding on to this position will not be easy. They need to quickly sort out all the quality control issues and service challenges their existing customers are facing. I was in the market last year and despite all my effort, I could not bring myself to buy the Harrier because of the poor quality of finish in the vehicle. Just like Hyundai has evolved from being a low cost small car maker to someone who can compete with Toyota, Tata needs to now evolve if it wishes to play with the big boys.
Old 4th June 2022, 03:08   #115

I'm really happy to see Tata performing so well!
My Nexon has treated me extremely well, carrying me and my family in comfort and safety without hurting the pocket, what else can I ask for! When we had bought the car I had plans of selling it in 3 years and upgrading to a bigger car. It's going to be 3 years in August and guess what, I have absolutely no intentions of selling this one, I wanna keep it as long as I can.

I would also like to share my personal unadulterated experience with TASS in one word - brilliant.
Only once I faced an issue that too because of a particular service advisor for a warranty claim of the ECU, escalated to Tata and lo and behold the higher ups of the service centre personally met me and promised a prompt TAT which they delivered on because Tata again reaches out to the Customer to confirm whether the service centre did the work in the stipulated time or not. A negative response from the customer can put a red mark on the service centre!
So if you ever face genuine problems with TASS don't hesitate to escalate, you'll be surprised by the response!
irajput is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 07:32   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan_N View Post
Here's the list of table toppers (Top 25) for the month of May 2022.
OT:
No kiger or Magnite in top 25. I wonder whats going on. These offerings had potential and were VFM and had seen ads about huge booking numbers.

Is it a similar issue as xuv700 that production is low .
Old 6th June 2022, 15:53   #117
BHPian

If there is no manufacturing constraints for Tata, with the help of Nexon EV Max bookings they can easily achieve 20,000 sales mark for Nexon anytime in coming months (ICE + EV).

Also it is time to launch Punch and Altroz EVs. I believe EV versions buzz will help Altroz brand image to improve.

I believe their Tigor brand Image had improved after launching EV version that also helped ICE version sales.
Old 6th June 2022, 16:14   #118
BHPian

Wow. Super Tata !!!

Honda seems to be wiped out totally, no amaze or city or even the jazz in the top 25. Dzire sells more than the amaze. Its going to be though for Honda to make a come back for sure. They so need a CSUV as well as a proper SUV.
Mumbaiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 21:07   #119
BHPian

What I am most surprised to see is that even the XUV7OO outsells the i20. Hyundai in its ever increasing thirst for profits have truly severed the reach of the product.

TATA has done a stellar job considering where they were a couple of years back. This shows that if you keep your head down and push, pick a theme and stick to it, one can crack the Indian market, no matter how bad an image one has. Shame on the American lot, who never really bent their back and later cried foul saying that the juice was not worth the squeeze.
Carma2017 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 22:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
What I am most surprised to see is that even the XUV7OO outsells the i20.
Had the Toyota plant not been closed for maintenance in May, the Innova would have easily clocked 6-7k units, thus displacing i20 from the top 25 list
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks