Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:48   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Query on Name change,

My surname is only a Single Letter in my DL, whereas it is in an expanded form in my aadhar. With this, I am unable to process anything related to DL online and the last time I submitted a name change request, the KA03 RTO made me run around and I lost patience and lost the money and just got the renewal done without name change. They ask for an affidavit, news paper clipping and some other documents for this simple task.

What is the easiest way to get this updated?
Old 24th May 2024, 04:33   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Query on Name change,
What is the easiest way to get this updated?
This is the only way to get a name change done.BTW,name change is not a simple task,dear sir.

Cheers

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 24th May 2024 at 04:34. Reason: Correction
Old 22nd July 2024, 23:35   #393
BHPian

Had to get DL backlog entry done (for licenses which are older and not visible on Parivahan website).

Visited KA02 in April. After being bumped from 1 counter to another, was told to fill up DL backlog form. I said where is it available. She said parivahan website. Opened the site on phone infront of her and asked me to guide. She says I have to search on own.

Fed up, went to the dozens of agent shops in the premises. None had the form except the last shop. Filled it, submitted (counter no.14) with application form and colour 'xerox' of DL and aadhaar.

After a month, no updates. Visited again, was told to check for SMS in few days.

After another month, no updates. Visited again. Counter 14 guy says I have to check with Counter 13 woman who comes late daily. So I waited. Finally at 11:40 AM she reported to duty. 10 minutes later I got to approach her desk, explained the situation. She asked me to pickup a bunch of around 150 forms tied together from a rack and asked me to find my application. With no saner option, searched through and found my application form, which now had few scribblings by 'case workers'. Counter 13 lady says "take this form to cyber center and ask them to scan these colour xerox of aadhaar and DL and ask them to upload online. Did that. Returned to Counter 13. Lady says I will get approval SMS in 4 days.

After a month, no updates. Visited again, counter 13 lady not reported to duty till 12 PM. Begged counter 14 guy. He asked his assistant to check online. He said something. Counter 14 guy asks me to go to counter 7 and get verification done.

Went to counter 7. After 15 minute long queue frequently jumped by ignorant f**ls and agents, my turn and explained to the lady. She was struggling with frequently crashing mozille firefox browser. IT guy came and did something. Then my turn. She typed things on the PC and said ok you go to counter 13. I got an SMS saying my application is verified.

Now 12:30 PM counter 13 lady yet to arrive. Stood at counter 14 queue. At 12:40, counter 13 lady reports to duty. By then my turn at counter 14 guy. I tell him counter 7 lady has verified, now what. He says I have to get RTO approval. I say thats why I am at RTO. He says, no no, the actual RTO - the RT Officer has to approve. I go and find the RTO regional transport officer's office. Tell the PA I was sent by counter 14 guy. Was asked to wait. various RTO inspectors in cabin. Then random guy walks in, i peek and still wait outside. Then the RTO officer tells PA "if any general public is waiting send them one by one". I go and tell my DL backlog entry is pending since April and request him to approve. He scribbles his signature on the form and ask me to to go counter 7 again.

I go to counter 7 and tell the lady madam you verified an hour ago, then counter 14 guy said to meet RTO. I met RTO who asked me to meet you and get the approval. She is obviously miffed now either by workload or lack of 'currency'. She keeps the form and tells she will meet RTO with other files and get clarity. I say what clarity my application for DL backlog (which is an issue because of RTO) is pending since 3 months. She says she cant help now. I am spent now. Just walk out.

Later in the evening I get an SMS that my DL backlog is approved.

Now, tomorrow, I have to visit KA50 to apply for DL renewal.

End of movie.
ashwinsid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 10:13   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Had to get DL backlog entry done (for licenses which are older and not visible on Parivahan website).

Later in the evening I get an SMS that my DL backlog is approved.

Now, tomorrow, I have to visit KA50 to apply for DL renewal.

End of movie.
Sorry to hear about the hassle you have had. This is an absolute disgrace but there doesn't seem to be any hope for change.

I too faced a major hassle getting this done for my wife at KA01 RTO as we live out of Bangalore. We physically visited the RTO once and submitted the backlog entry form, but this was not promising at all as they said the DL backlog entry is paused and the only thing possible is for her to reapply and get a new DL (which I am sure is not legal if you already have a DL!). In addition I also did the following:

1) Raised a complaint on the Karnataka Gov website
2) Tweeted the Transport Commissioner or equivalent with a complaint
3) Raised a complaint on PG Portal
4) Emailed the RTO requesting for it to be done
5) Got my wife to call up the RTO himself (number available online) and request respectfully in Kannada

I am not sure which of those worked but it was eventually done without us having to visit the RTO again after a couple of months.

However, even though it was showing as backlog entry completed, DL renewal online was not possible as it said 'backlog approval pending'. They said this required one more visit to the RTO in person for them to verify my wife was the same person as who was on the DL. However we were not able to go and with an agents help this was resolved (they literally have to click a button on their system twice and thats it).

All in all a good 4k (not including travel expenses) and countless hours went in getting this done but we had no choice as it would have been way more expensive to travel to Bangalore to keep following up. Also I was adamant for her to not simply apply for a new DL when there is a process in place to get the old one entered in the system.

RTO = Really Traumatic Operation!
Old 4th August 2024, 21:35   #395
BHPian

Answering my previous query (License Renewal): The license can be renewed one year prior to expiry. I got a confirmation from the helpdesk email, although the RTO person still thought it's one month prior. Secondly, the algorithm appears to consider the actual date of birth, rather than the year of birth only, to calculate if you are 40 years old or not. So as long as you aren't 40, there's no need of a medical certificate. The timeline from the time of application to the time of getting the DL is shown . Using the Aadhaar authentication option seemed better, as the eKYC is automatically done and you don't have to upload a photo. When stuck, you can file a grievance or write an email to the helpdesk, and things will move forward. There was no need to visit the RTO even once.
Old 4th August 2024, 21:48   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
Answering my previous query (License Renewal): The license can be renewed one year prior to expiry. I got a confirmation from the helpdesk email, although the RTO person still thought it's one month prior.
Licence can be renewed one year prior to expiry. But there's a slight catch here.

Let me explain. My birthday is in 2nd week of April and I had to renew my DL as I turned 60 this year.

I applied for DL renewal sometime in February thinking that it would take a month or two for the renewal process and I would receive the renewed DL sometime in April.

To my surprise, my DL got renewed and I received it in February 2024 itself.

Now the catch is the next expiry date has been brought forward by 2 months. So, when my birthday is in 2nd week of April, my next renewal is in mid February 2029. So, I stand to lose 2 months of validity there.

Not a big deal as the DL is renewed every 5 years, but I would have waited till April to get the renewal done instead of February had I known that the renewal process is quite quick (in a matter of couple of days. To be precise, it took 2 or 3 days for my DL renewal.

Other than the lost 2 months, it's good to renew the DL early to be safe (to be able to drive without any worry)

Last edited by ashkamath : 4th August 2024 at 21:49. Reason: Punctuation
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 12:12   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
...had I known that the renewal process is quite quick (in a matter of couple of days. To be precise, it took 2 or 3 days for my DL renewal. Other than the lost 2 months, it's good to renew the DL early to be safe (to be able to drive without any worry)
That's true. Even if the DL is not delivered immediately, after the endorsement is done, it's available on DigiLocker, so one can drive without an issue. However, DigiLocker doesn't get installed on older versions of some phones, so I wonder if a printout taken from the DL downloaded from DigiLocker would suffice as proof. There's also the option of going to the RTO and collecting the DL after it gets printed, instead of waiting for it to be delivered home (though I don't know how long it takes for it to be sent from the place where it's printed, to the RTO cupboard). Actually, the RTO could bring about a change in procedure, to allow renewal early, but keep the date of expiry such that we don't lose a month or two on it. There is a lot more about the renewal process that can be automated. I'm glad that at least this much has been done so far.
Old 5th August 2024, 13:07   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
Actually, the RTO could bring about a change in procedure, to allow renewal early, but keep the date of expiry such that we don't lose a month or two on it. There is a lot more about the renewal process that can be automated. I'm glad that at least this much has been done so far.
I have noticed that Insurance policy renewal happens that way. You can renew your insurance policy 2 months prior to the expiry date, and the renewed policy continues from the next day after expiry date of the earlier policy. In that way, we don't lose any days on validity for subsequent renewals.

It's simple to incorporate in RTO computers. The system should not accept any date prior to the expiry date of the existing licence and renewal date should mandatorily start after the expiry date of the existing licence.

Again it should not be automatic, because some may forget and renew their DL after expiry date. It happened with my cousin. He had forgotten to renew his DL and did so, after a month or so, after his earlier licence expired. For him the date of commencement of his renewed licence should be the new date.

Last edited by ashkamath : 5th August 2024 at 13:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks