Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2024, 21:53   #376
BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
My Indian driving license will be due for renewal next month, and I will be unable to renew it because I live abroad. Can I drive in India with a DL issued in an EU country when i visit next time?
You can renew the DL without visiting the RTO, by applying online, read earlier posts on the same.

You can drive in India with EU/USA driving license upto one year. But I am unable to find the official link on the same, incase if there is an issues you can show that link.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:35   #377
BHPian

Glad to report that I got the DL renewal done completely online, thanks to all the members who have posted all kinds of details in the earlier posts. It was super useful !

Only reason I had to go near RTO was to get the medical certificate. I didnt get clarity on whether a certificate by any local MBBS doctor or a local BBMP doctor would be valid. So didnt want to take a chance and went looking for a RTO recognized doctor as he would know the RTO process very well. As is the case, a well-oiled machinery works around RTO area, K R Puram RTO, in my case. Along with doctor's stamp, a hologram sticker was affixed which said RTO, not sure how authentic this was. Rs. 100 was the fees since I went directly and Rs. 50 for those coming via any driving school and there were stack of such papers.

In terms of timeline, it took around 7 weeks time from the date of submission to getting the smart card in hand, without any followups. My old licence was issued from KA02, 4-wheeler endorsed in KA03, now I applied in KA53 for renewal and address change due to my current address. All these records was showing up online correctly. Kudos to the digitization that has happened to preserve 20-years worth of records!

Last edited by mankuthimma : 3rd April 2024 at 14:42.
Old 12th April 2024, 22:58   #378
BHPian

Hello All,

I have(had) a driving license issued in 2003 from Rajajinagar Bangalore RTO. The DL number has a format something like this: KA02/0000/2003/04

When I type this in parivahan Karnataka website, it says "driving license not in central repository". If I check Parivahan central website it asks me to type 16 digit DL number.

Unfortunately the DL expired 5 months ago and I want to get it renewed.

Should I visit the same RTO (Rajajinagar) for this issue or can I visit any other RTO near my current home in same city (Bangalore)?

License Renewal-untitled.jpg
Old 12th April 2024, 23:10   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Hello All,

I have(had) a driving license issued in 2003 from Rajajinagar Bangalore RTO. The DL number has a format something like this: KA02/0000/2003/04

If I check Parivahan central website it asks me to type 16 digit DL number.

Attachment 2593945
You can covert your old DL no. into the new one in this manner: RTO followed by year and 7 digit no. Add zeroes if needed.

So your example would become KA02 20030000004.
Old 13th April 2024, 17:33   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
You can covert your old DL no. into the new one in this manner: RTO followed by year and 7 digit no. Add zeroes if needed
Tried every single combination possible but same error saying not found in repository
Old 13th April 2024, 18:40   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Tried every single combination possible but same error saying not found in repository
I couldn't do it online. I went to Jayanagar RTO, they said entry has to be created in the online database. I was asked to provide 3 copies of the license and PAN/ Aadhar and wait 6 weeks. Then medical tests, new photos, forms etc, as I am over 50. I was only in Bengaluru for a couple months, so I succumbed to get some agent to do it. ₹2k -license home in a week.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 13th April 2024 at 18:44.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 14:26   #382
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My driving license was going to expire this month, so I had set a reminder for last month, but got caught up with work commitments. With just 2 weeks left, I decided I will deviate from my standard operating procedure/do-it-myself and just get in touch with a reliable broker. During Covid, Wifey’s license had come up for renewal and we tried to do it online only to be asked to visit the RTO for signatures and photograph to be taken and though she submitted the application online, we had to use the brokers service to get the work at the RTO office done, and this time I decided to use the same broker.

Made a call to him and after confirming there were no changes in address, he said it can be done in 10 working days. I transferred money for his service which was Rs.1800 and 10 minutes later he was already submitting the application online! I had to tell him what my blood group was (for confirmation) followed by an Aadhaar OTP and in the next few minutes the application was submitted and soon I received the confirmation from Vaahan. He also shared the acknowledgement and application in pdf format on WhatsApp. Few minutes later he shared the medical form signed by the doctor.

He asked to drop off my original license card at his office directly or courier it. My OCD said I will take the trouble of doing it myself, so handed it over after 3 or 4 days.

A week later I received a message from Vaahan that my renewal license was approved and issued.

A day later, I made another visit to the brokers office and collected my license. Glad I used this route to avoid any hassles, not worth our time and effort visiting the RTO office for renewal.

Last edited by NPV : 6th May 2024 at 14:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:46   #383
BHPian

My DL renewal became due recently and I had a change of address and a change of state from Karnataka to Goa.

I approached the Vasco RTO and at the inquiry counter, was asked to fill a couple of forms (for change of address) and submit those forms and come after 10 days. I provided my Aadhaar and Election card ( as ID proof) both of which have Goa address.

After 10 days, I went to the RTO and I was asked to pay the following at the counter.

Renewal of DL Fee: Rs. 200
Change DL Address Fee: Rs. 200
Altr DL Photo : Rs. 200
Form 7 fee: Rs. 200
Processing Fee: Rs. 80

Total: Rs. 880

I received the printed Fee receipt for the above payment and I received the new DL at my home in less than a week.

I did not go the agent way, because I did not have a pleasant experience with the RTO agent for a scooter duplicate RC card. A few months ago, I had misplaced (located it later in the house) the RC card of my new Honda Dio and hence applied for a duplicate RC card through an agent. He charged me Rs. 1,700 for the same and it took almost 3-4 months and after repeated visit to his office, follow up etc that I got the duplicate RC. That was definitely not a pleasant experience after paying the hefty amount and hence when the DL renewal came, I directly visited the RTO. To my surprise, it was the easiest and most pleasant experience. Again, the Vasco RTO at Goa is not crowded and generally you can get your work done in 15-30 minutes max as there is not much of a que.

Now, my new Yamaha Aerox RC has not reached me yet even after 2 months of purchase and the paperwork was done by the dealer. I guess I will visit the local RTO one of these days and check it out. Again not taking agent assistance in this matter too.
Old 6th May 2024, 18:03   #384
BHPian

Few questions:
1. This website says "An application for renewal shall be entertained not more than one month before the date of expiry of the licence". But this website says "As per the latest amendment of CMV Act, renewal of a driving License could be done within one year prior to or after the expiry of the Driving License". So for a DL that expires on 1st September, can the renewal process be initiated only on 1st August, or can it be earlier than that?
2. If a person turns 40 years old on September 15th 2024, and their DL expires on 1st September 2024, and they start the renewal process on August 20th 2024, would they need to get a doctor's certificate or is a self-declaration of fitness sufficient? How does the RTO software calculate the need for the doctor's certificate? If it's based on the year, then 2024 - 1984 = 40. But if it's based on the actual date of birth at the time of application, it's 39. But at the time of the DL being printed, the person's age would be 40.
Old 9th May 2024, 11:36   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My driving license was going to expire this month,

A week later I received a message from Vaahan that my renewal license was approved and issued.

A day later, I made another visit to the brokers office and collected my license. Glad I used this route to avoid any hassles, not worth our time and effort visiting the RTO office for renewal.
Interesting. I applied on my own through their website and its been 4 months now and yet to see the DL delivered. Just 2-3 days back, I have received the SMS stating it has been dispatched, but I assume it would take another week or two to arrive at my home.

I paid Rs 460 online + Rs 50 for the doctor certificate overall for the renewal application (KA02 RTO).
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 12:25   #386
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I paid Rs 460 online + Rs 50 for the doctor certificate overall for the renewal application (KA02 RTO).
Did you have to visit the RTO office in person after online submission (for submitting the Doctors certificate or getting the approval with superintendent ‘s signature or getting your photograph taken)?

Last edited by NPV : 9th May 2024 at 12:27.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 18:41   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Did you have to visit the RTO office in person after online submission (for submitting the Doctors certificate or getting the approval with superintendent ‘s signature or getting your photograph taken)?
I submitted mine online from a shop near the RTO. Paid the shop owner Rs 200 for the scan/upload. He said there is no need to visit RTO. Still, I went up to the DL counter to be sure. Person at the counter took the application and checked something (probably, confirmed the payment) and gave it back to me saying I'm good. So, there was no need to visit RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Interesting. I applied on my own through their website and its been 4 months now and yet to see the DL delivered. Just 2-3 days back, I have received the SMS stating it has been dispatched, but I assume it would take another week or two to arrive at my home.
Good to know I"m not alone :-) Submitted mine around 2 months back and waiting for some status change on the portal (still shows approval pending) or an SMS.

Regards
Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
Few questions:
1. This website says "An application for renewal shall be entertained not more than one month before the date of expiry of the licence". But this website says "As per the latest amendment of CMV Act, renewal of a driving License could be done within one year prior to or after the expiry of the Driving License". So for a DL that expires on 1st September, can the renewal process be initiated only on 1st August, or can it be earlier than that?
2. If a person turns 40 years old on September 15th 2024, and their DL expires on 1st September 2024, and they start the renewal process on August 20th 2024, would they need to get a doctor's certificate or is a self-declaration of fitness sufficient? How does the RTO software calculate the need for the doctor's certificate? If it's based on the year, then 2024 - 1984 = 40. But if it's based on the actual date of birth at the time of application, it's 39. But at the time of the DL being printed, the person's age would be 40.
When you login to DL services section, if your DL is due/expired you'll see this pop-up:

"
Dear DL holder, as your DL is due for Renewal and you are above 40 years of age, Form 1-A duly signed by registered medical practitioner needs to be submitted
"

Regards
Rex

Last edited by Sheel : 19th May 2024 at 19:25. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 22:09   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
When you login to DL services section, if your DL is due/expired you'll see this pop-up:
"Dear DL holder, as your DL is due for Renewal and you are above 40 years of age, Form 1-A duly signed by registered medical practitioner needs to be submitted"
Thanks, but when I visited the DL section in Parivahan and entered my DL number and date of birth, it didn't show any such message. It showed
So is the message shown only after the expiry date? How many months before DL expiry did you apply for renewal? I called up the RTO, and a lady there said I can apply for renewal 1 month prior to expiry. As I mentioned before, this page says it's 1 month, and this page says it's 1 year. Once I had entered my DL number in the Parivahan website, it first showed a message "Data retrieved from NR database / ported data. Please confirm the address details by entering the address details in the prescribed format" and then showed me a page where I was expected to enter the district and taluk details of my address. I was left wondering if I make any changes to address, whether I'd have to pay an additional fee for address change. I wish these software were designed by people who made things clearer and simpler.
Old 21st May 2024, 07:49   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for late reply. I did everything online. Tried to get the medical certificate signed from a local BBMP PHC, but wasn't successful and had to visit the doctor in the RTO complex. Scanned the signed medical certificate & uploaded it.

Tip: Ask local security guards / parking attendants about the doctor's location & timings in the RTO complex. Asking the shops (agents) won't help.

And finally, the registered post containing the DL has been submitted to the post office (from checking the tracking) and hope to recieve it today or tomorrow. SMS sent on 6th May, actually posted on 20th May.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 17:55   #390
Senior - BHPian

How soon can I renew my driver's license after attaining the age of 50? I recall it used to be 1 month before the expiration date. Has this timeline changed recently?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks