Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2021?
Maruti Celerio 11 0.55%
Tata Punch 194 9.62%
Renault Kiger 37 1.84%
MG Astor 54 2.68%
Volkswagen Taigun 60 2.98%
Skoda Kushaq 66 3.27%
Tata Tigor EV 25 1.24%
Mahindra XUV700 1267 62.85%
Force Gurkha 69 3.42%
Tata Safari 116 5.75%
Hyundai Alcazar 12 0.60%
Skoda Octavia 41 2.03%
Citroen C5 Aircross 30 1.49%
BYD E6 9 0.45%
Mercedes A-Class Limousine 2 0.10%
Mercedes GLA-Class 7 0.35%
Volvo S60 16 0.79%
Voters: 2016. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 22:08   #121
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2021 | EDIT, it's the Mahindra XUV700

My vote goes to XUV700

These are the 4 cars which comes into my mind which are eligible for COTY

1. Tata Punch - Dropped, Weak engine
2. Force Gurkha - Dropped, Automatic missing
3. Tata Safari - Dropped, GNCAP missing
4. Mahindra XUV700 - Ticks all boxes, Engine/Safety/Price Range/Features
kozhissery is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 22:43   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

I HAD to vote for the M&M SUV700 even though I prefer the looks of the Safari/Harrier siblings.

I mean, just look at the car, it's pretty well made, relatively spacious, tickles a desi's paisa-vasool loving palate when it comes to toughness, performance and looks..all rolled into one really attractive offering at an unbeatable price. Of course, teething problems are to be expected but M&M truly listen to customers and their after sales service is said to have improved. So here's wishing the XUV700 all the best.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 23:54   #123
BHPian

I vote for the Force Gurkha 2021 for the following reasons
1) a great looking vehicle which you would like to see each day in your garage
2) the most enjoyable driving position, space inside and view out for touring
3) very good suspension and ride quality
4) complete mechanical features like 4WD with H and L, locking diffs and ABS
5) good build quality with a metallic hard top
6) encourages you to go anywhere and for as long as you want and can tackle all terrains
7)a good driving enthusiasts car with easy clutch and gear shifts and comfortable safari seats and ease of driving on both city roads and country roads
8)rugged looking accessories that enhance the appeal of the vehicle
9)value for money and a sincere attempt to satisfy the enthusiasm of the Indian customer
10) promise of reasonable maintenance costs and trouble free running with pan India support
Shekhar Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 01:20   #124
BHPian

Unpopular opinion but my vote goes for the lone warrior, the last 'man' standing Skoda Octavia.

Hate to see the dying breed of premium sedans and have to give it to the Czech brand for trying to revive it where the mighty Koreans and the Japs have failed.
mufeez1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 02:23   #125
BHPian

My vote goes to XUV700 because:

1. XUV700 has redefined the value standards for the automobile industry in India.

We are all aware of the heavy taxation on cars in our country and this fact serves as an excuse for most of the car companies active in India to serve substandard or poorly specced cars here. XUV700 redefines those rules and shows that the car can be complete on all the parameters and still it can be priced reasonably well. All it takes to achieve that is to manufacture the car here instead of making it CKD or CBU product.

It proves that we need not pay Volvo levels of money to get ADAS

It proves that we need not settle for cars without features for that kind of money (Toyota, pay attention)

It proves that we need not settle for poor safety standards to get the desired features (Kia/Hyundai, pay attention)

It proves that we need not settle for poor specifications like front wheel drive SUVs in that price bracket (this one is for you Tata)

2. Success of XUV700 proves strongly that our market is Value sensitive and not much Price sensitive and if any manufacturer takes efforts to launch a locally manufactured high quality, well specced product (which automatically makes it a good value also), it can find buyers in any price bracket. Global companies like Honda, Toyota need to take notice of this and provide their first world products here by manufacturing them here instead of providing us some compromised emerging market products.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 10th December 2021 at 02:26.
46TheDoctor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 11:58   #126
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I don't think the COTY 2021 even requires a poll here. It has got to be the M&M's XUV700!!

Mahindra has simply hit it out of the park with this one.

Job well done M&M!

P. S.: I only hope that they sort out their booking & delivery fiasco soon and let people enjoy their rides ASAP.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:05   #127
BHPian

Very interesting to see the top 5 spots thus far all are of the SUV / mini-SUV genre, and more importantly, impressed to see top 4 cars are all Indian cars! Way to go Atmanirbhar!

For me it was a tight choice between the XUV 700 and Tata Punch. Voted for the Tata Punch as it is a mass market 5 Star Global NCAP offering. The XUV 700 is nevertheless an equally safe, if not more, and superbly engineered trend-setting product. Would I buy the Punch? Not really. Have owned two Tata cars already and life is too small not to try something else next - God willing the XUV 700 maybe.

By the way, who would have thought a Force Gurkha would one day capture so many hearts. It sure has captured mine!
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:06   #128
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tata Safari. If we line up all cars in that price range and I had to point my finger to one, it would be Tata Safari.
The way it looks, inside out, road presence, the overall value it offers and of course The SAFARI moniker ("backpan Ka Pyaar" ). Irresistible if you go by your heart or brain.

Close second would be Skoda Octavia. I love the way it looks. I love the 'cockpit' design and layout. The only thing kept me away from voting it instead of Tata Safari is the price, especially the L&K variant. Features wise I was expecting it to be equivalent to Skoda Superb L&K.

Mahindra XUV 700 - While on the inside it looks great but overall design was a miss for me. Yes I have seen one in person and on road.

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th December 2021 at 13:09.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 13:10   #129

Being a Newbie, I can't vote officially but if I could, it would have been XUV700 for the impact and disruption it has created in the market. And obviously coming from an Indian carmaker, makes us more proud.

Going through the contenders, I was wondering if it's truly the end of sedans in India for some foreseeable future. Last year we had atleast Aura and City in the contention, but this time I find first sedan in the form of Octavia and that is not really a volume segment or car as well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th December 2021 at 13:19. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 10th December 2021, 14:10   #130

Unable to vote here but my vote would have gone to XUV 700 for sure.
Perfect car for the Indians. Mix of style, safety and equipment.

Engine is fun to drive and always eager to take off !

If we keep aside the delivery chaos due to global shortage of chips, this car deserves to be the car of the year !
Old 10th December 2021, 15:12   #131
BHPian

I'm not a fan of Mahindra cars. Hate the looks of XUV. Yet voted for it - XUV700. I'm yet to feel or drive it. My vote is purely based on the reviews, value for money, and based on a video I recollect watching of how Mahindra approached making of the car, with focus on safety. What they have delivered at the price should put to shame VW/Skoda (for ambitious pricing for a stripped down product) and Hyundai/KIA (overpriced tin cans). If I was to look for a car within the price range at which XUV sells, I would surely test drive one this time; earlier would not even shortlist a Mahindra, I hated the looks and jiggly ride. That's how much value Mahindra seems to have added.
Old 10th December 2021, 15:57   #132
BHPian

Voted for the TATA PUNCH. My views on the cars which liked
  • Tata Punch : Loved the design, the tall boy stance, has good build quality, good interiors, the engine has acceptable performance upto 90 Km/hr. Definitely going to be a popular product like the Nexon.
  • XUV 7OO : A great product, XUV 5OO itself was a game changer and this is a major update, their pricing was amazing and it allows it to compete every car fron Rs.12.5 to Rs.23 Lakh spectrum, good build quality and amazing features.
  • Volkswagen Taigun / Skoda Kushaq : Finally a product to compete against the Korean twins, good engine options, good driving dynamics and good automatic options, though the build and interior quality isn't top notch its decent.
  • Tata Safari : Good design - doesn't feel like an elongated version, good build, VFM product, has helped Tata sell around 4k units along with Harrier
  • Force Gurkha : A decent competitor to the only Thar though Thar has gone long way ahead, has improved its interior quality compared to its predecessor, good stance and looks.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 16:31   #133
Senior - BHPian

Voted for XUV-700 - I guess needs no explanation. I would have voted for the MG Astor as the next choice for bringing in advanced technologies at an even lower price point.

Tata Punch: Well, yeah the 5 Star Safety is good, but I will not trade my Ignis with the butter smooth K12M for a Tata Punch with that 3 cylinder weak heart. So until Tata gives it a better engine or brings a Punch EV, I am not going near it.
Old 10th December 2021, 19:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Voted XUV700.

Those engines, petrol and diesel, AT and MT, those interiors, ADAS and those prices. They have a 700 for everyone in the 14-28 lakh price point.

A worthy recipient of the honour.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 20:45   #135
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Obviously voted for XUV 700. Perhaps XUV500 can give Crysta a run for the money.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks