Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2021?
Maruti Celerio 11 0.55%
Tata Punch 194 9.62%
Renault Kiger 37 1.84%
MG Astor 54 2.68%
Volkswagen Taigun 60 2.98%
Skoda Kushaq 66 3.27%
Tata Tigor EV 25 1.24%
Mahindra XUV700 1267 62.85%
Force Gurkha 69 3.42%
Tata Safari 116 5.75%
Hyundai Alcazar 12 0.60%
Skoda Octavia 41 2.03%
Citroen C5 Aircross 30 1.49%
BYD E6 9 0.45%
Mercedes A-Class Limousine 2 0.10%
Mercedes GLA-Class 7 0.35%
Volvo S60 16 0.79%
Voters: 2016. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 15:38   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2021 | EDIT, it's the Mahindra XUV700

To vote from the head and with proper fairness, I'd need to drive each of the vehicles. Without that the head still takes me to XUV 700, especially for it being amongst the few mainstream vehicles to provide a good independent multilink rear suspension under 20L. Heck, it even privides it under 13L (ex-). Mated with torquey engines, it makes for a good combination, at least on paper - availability is another matter.

From the heart, the Force Gurkha it is. For this manufacturer to still keep making the vehicle and standing firm despite tiny sales, to comply with BS6 and other regulations and not give up. For it to invest in research and design. For it to arouse the kind of passion it does - manuuj's thread (Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins) is a testimony to it. Also for the company support it provided - please read @Manuuj 's report for how his alloy change was handled.

The really interesting design, which stands out despite it's overall traditional form is appreciable.

Despite not being in to 4x4, I still follow my heart and vote for the Force Gurkha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The idea is appealing for me too. Maybe cars launched in the current and previous year should be accommodated (as otherwise some cars would be left out; XUV 700,for eg) and to account for two years we should have:
Car of Dous Years
(CODY)

T-Bhp can start the trend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
But what does Dous mean?
Two.
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2021 | EDIT, it's the Mahindra XUV700-dous.jpg

One could call it Dos (Spanish for two, but might sound like Disk Operating System to some ), do/dou (Hindi for two) or any other name.

The name not being the focus, the idea was to include the cars having had some significant usage with a fair number of users, to form better and surer opinions about it.

Last edited by Poitive : 9th December 2021 at 15:41. Reason: Typo
Old 9th December 2021, 15:43   #92
BHPian

I voted for the Tata Safari over the XUV700 for two reasons - one its in the market unlike the XUV which has almost negligible deliveries.

Second, the Safari has shown good sales month on month post launch which shows how good the response has.

If it was only specs, I would have voted for the Citroen but wont, since it wasnt a success.
Pseud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:46   #93

Hi. While I would love to vote for XUV 700. I am unable to sadly.
Old 9th December 2021, 15:55   #94
BHPian

Voted XUV700, simply because it's got almost everything that's spread across people who are looking for 5 seat or 7 seat configuration (Not like Creta / Alcazar) , Petrol MT AT or Diesel MT AT (Not like Kushaq / Taigun), Better safety ratings, plus i feel Mahindra is offering above par features for the price point.

Cherry on top is, it's coming from an Indian Manufacturer (but not a deciding factory)

PS : Apologies to Creta, Alcazar, Kushaq & Taigun owners and they are unique products in their own way. It's just my opinion despite XUV700 is not from same category.
Old 9th December 2021, 16:01   #95
BHPian

This year it's a wave election in favour of the XUV. All other contenders from other manufacturing parties will loose their deposits.

If only I had know about this a few months back, I would have gotten this over the Innova Crysta.
krishnakarthik1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:11   #96
BHPian

I have voted for the XUV 700. The reasons for me are the great overall package.
Mahindra has managed to put together.
- Great Looks
- Great Engine options - especially the petrol
- Great Features
- Great Price
All the above with a 5* rating !!

Also, would like to mention if it were not for the XUV700, I would have voted for the Tata Punch. Its a great looking car, definitely the best in its segment (and 1 above). It also ticks the points which the XUV 700 does.

Really want to highlight that, Mahindra and Tata have really turned on the heat, on the incumbents in the last year. That these 2 car makers have gained market share for the great cars they make, truly indicates that Indian masses have "re-rated" their brands and are asking for Safety ratings while car shopping instead of purely "kitna deti hai".
Old 9th December 2021, 16:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

The XUV 7oo seems to be the outright winner in this thread but that's not what I voted for.

Instead I voted for the Safari.

If a car has so much grandiose promise (the XUV7oo blows everything away in its path ) but little to deliver (~1 year waiting period ) right away, then the overall promise tends to get eroded in my books.

On the other hand, the Safari has pleasantly surprised many a people, incl the car pundits and customers alike, and has managed to carve out a nice place for itself in 2021.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:44   #98
BANNED

Voted: MG Astor

Reason: Just check out its base variant and you'll know how good value it is. Then the higher variants have ADAS to justify the premium.

It's unfortunate that they're trying to upsell the higher variants.
MaheshY1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:46   #99
BHPian

Voted for XUV 7OO, simply because of the safety ratings.
The features available are simply amazing for the price at it is being offered.
Ritesh_Dogar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:55   #100
BHPian

Voted for the XUV 700.. This is by far the most significant launch this year with a queue literally mile long.

Almost all aspects of this car stand out, Safety, Design, Variant spread, Automatic Availability, tech features, VFM. The only issue as far as I can see is availability due to the supply constraints.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:07   #101
BHPian

I'm among a very miniscule section who have voted for this car. The reason is- out of all the cars mentioned in the list, the only one which strikes a chord and appeals more to the heart than mind despite lacking some essential features, everytime I visit the dealer the car says- Buy me! Buy me! Is none other than Skoda Octavia. For me, it is the one which is offering global level quality in Indian market and a step into luxury segment without robbing my bank account. I know it is expensive but when you look at the competition you realize that it has none. My ideal upgrade would be a Black Skoda Octavia L&K with de-chromed front grill and those sudarshan chakras replaced with BBS SR alloys (the ones which BHPian Nikhil has in his VRS).

It was a tough call between XUV700 and Octavia, so why not the Mahindra? It's an amazingly engineered car no doubts about it but when the initial euphoria died and I saw the interiors in person, apart from the screens I did feel that interior quality could have been slightly more upmarket with better materials and I could not justify if I would want to spend 25L on it.

So, the Czech beauty it is for me.

For reference to the blacked out grill, I'm attaching pictures of Vrs-

Name:  images 15.jpeg
Views: 211
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  images 16.jpeg
Views: 214
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  images 17.jpeg
Views: 200
Size:  56.0 KB
sachin_cs is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:17   #102
BHPian

Going against the tide, I actually voted for the MG Astor this year, primarily because it has changed the minds of those people who viewing EVs as puny or boring to drive. I see a lot of BHPians slowly changing their mindsets about EVs and can also envision many of them slowly transitioning from "considering an EV as a second car" to "buying an EV as a second car" in the near future.

The Astor EV has clearly laid down the platform for growth in interest in EVs among the indian masses and that along with sky rocketing fuel prices makes me really believe that the market for EVs holds a great potential in the near future (i.e, as less as 5 years down the line).
karthi.stark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:20   #103
BHPian

Voted for XUV 7-double-O. Though no plan of buying or considering in near or distant future for me.

mainly two reasons
- Features - I like tech, knowing that they are more prone to failure, still robust tech is possible, hoping Mahindra can do that after fixing initial issues.

- Safety - Such a SUV scoring 5* is not child's play.

Though I am advocating for Tata Safari to everyone for current purchases. Just because to save from initial niggles and the unimaginable waiting period. Unless you are madly in love with it, you ought to get frustrated even with a small niggle on your brand new car.

Also couldn't get a proper test drive for XUV700 as time and distance is limited by dealership; but in other hand, did more than 20-30Km of test drive in different times on different roads in Bangalore and highway in a Safari (also Innova). It is most comfortable 7 seater in that price range. In back to back test drive, Safari, in my opinion more comfortable than Innova Crysta.
Old 9th December 2021, 17:35   #104
BHPian

Frankly speaking XUV700 has exceeded our expectations, be it price, safety , design, quality etc. Vote goes to XUV700 without doubt.
Old 9th December 2021, 17:53   #105
BHPian

Force Gurkha. A Class Apart!
Simply because there's nothing like it in the list. My choice for the Car of the Year should be an aspirational product. Something that you would drool for but should also be well-engineered and well-designed. Gurkha ticks all the boxes. A practical car like XUV700 also makes it to the list but then, it does not have that x-factor that could take it leaps and bounds ahead of its competitors. Well, it has a 5-star safety rating which took it straight to my final list. Kudos and Respect for that! But it stays there.

Last edited by VinsWagen : 9th December 2021 at 17:55. Reason: Grammar
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks