Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2021?
Maruti Celerio 11 0.55%
Tata Punch 194 9.62%
Renault Kiger 37 1.84%
MG Astor 54 2.68%
Volkswagen Taigun 60 2.98%
Skoda Kushaq 66 3.27%
Tata Tigor EV 25 1.24%
Mahindra XUV700 1267 62.85%
Force Gurkha 69 3.42%
Tata Safari 116 5.75%
Hyundai Alcazar 12 0.60%
Skoda Octavia 41 2.03%
Citroen C5 Aircross 30 1.49%
BYD E6 9 0.45%
Mercedes A-Class Limousine 2 0.10%
Mercedes GLA-Class 7 0.35%
Volvo S60 16 0.79%
Voters: 2016. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 18:47   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2021 | EDIT, it's the Mahindra XUV700

Despite the potential niggles of a newly baked Mahindra, the XUV 700 is coming out as a winner unless some other car is able to garner more votes till the day the poll closes.

This is despite the fact that Mahindra has been relegated to the # 4 space as a car maker. Tata Motors has overtaken it saleswise. Tata Motors have three entries Nexon, Punch and Tiago in the Top 20 best selling cars list of November 2021. Mahindra has only the Bolero here.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Mahindra XUV700 for various reasons:

- Only car to include a laundry list of features in the 20L-30L price bracket, Hyundai - Kia are yet to play catch up in the features department.
- Brought in the segment-first ADAS in the segment.
- 5 star safety rating to back it!
- An excellent set of engines pushing power figures from the next higher segment.
- Well appointed and good quality interior.
- Improved ride and handling compared to the XUV500, and benchmarked against the Skoda Kodiaq.

In my books, for the kind of innovation, technology, safety, performance that the XUV700 is providing for the price is unmatched by cars from even 2 segments above! And the kind of effort Mahindra spent on testing the car for 2 years, they absolutely deserve the success.

It's going to be a landslide win for the XUV700, the Punch following a distant second.

Everyone seems to have forgotten the Tata Safari!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 8th December 2021 at 19:29.
Old 8th December 2021, 19:36   #48
BHPian

Voted for the Mahindra XUV 700.

What an all-round offering by Mahindra and that too at a mouth-watering price! This one car has decimated it's competition. Creta, Seltos, Harrier, Safari will all bear the brunt of the XUV 700 onslaught.

Double delight for Mahindra after the spectacular success of the Thar; the Scorpio is coming-up next year which is sure to give Mahindra bragging rights for a hitherto unseen hattrick in the automotive industry in India!
Old 8th December 2021, 19:38   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Think this year’s poll result was a foregone conclusion even before GTO set things in motion by voting for the XUV700. On paper, and perhaps one day, on the road, the XUV700 is a tremendous engineering achievement by an Indian company - a fantastic Petrol that outperforms similar sized engines from BMW, Mercedes and VAG; a very credible BS6 diesel; ADAS features from an Indian brand; the 5 star GNCAP rating; and of course potential massive commercial success if the bookings turn into sales. Despite the fantastic line up of cars this year, the Safari, the Punch, the Taigun, the Astor, the Tigor EV - each of which could have been strong contenders, I am not surprised that the vast majority of Team BHPians have voted for this car.

But to my mind, for a car to be Car of The Year, it should not just have been launched, but should have reached customers. And based on my decidedly non scientific assessment of the newly launched cars I have seen between Regal Circle and BKC in Bombay, I have to say that the XUV700 has been missing in action where it counts the most - viz on the road.

The Taigun and Astor were launched after the XUV700 - and I have seen several examples of both. The Safari is almost ubiquitous. Hell, I even see Tiguan Allspaces (other than the one that belongs to me). But to this date, I have not seen an XUV700 on the road other than the test drive cars belonging to the Chowpatty dealer. Why? Is M&M not supplying cars to Bombay? Are people on Bombay not booking the cars? I don’t know. But this was enough to sway me away from voting for the surefire winner in this poll. The XUV700 probably deserves to sweep Team BHP Car of the Year 2022. But in 2021, it is not visible enough to deserve my vote.

So whom did I vote for? Of course, the Safari, which would have almost certainly swept this poll if the XUV700 had not been launched - but is currently languishing in 4th place behind even the Force Gurkha. Why? The Safari is spacious (more spacious in the third row than the XUV - large enough for me to fit there despite my paunch and long legs), extremely good looking (the best looking volume car on Indian roads in my view), drives well, is reasonably well priced, and available with a reasonable waiting period. Tata may have combined a Fiat engine with a Hyundai transmission and a Land Rover platform (when put like that, it sounds like a Premier 118 NE), but they have mated these together fantastically. Despite several cars being on the road, one does not hear about egregious problems - the few one has heard of seem to have been handled much better than by other manufacturers. This is truly a deserving Team BHP Car of the Year 2021.
Hayek is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:55   #50
BHPian

Personally, "THE" Car of the Year should meet all the following criterias.
1. Disrupting the market/segment
2. Catering to multiple segments of buyers
3. Mechanically, electronically, technologically, ergonomically well done
4. Safety, Build, driving dynamics, comfort, space, looks.
5. Brand experience - buying experience, ASS experience, and other assistance.
6. Finally, the weight on the wallet, to own as well as to maintain.

I voted for XUV700.
10/10 for 1 - Totally disrupted the market
10/10 for 2 - On-Road from 15.51L to 28.17L (Carwale which is almost 98%-99% correct)
8/10 for 3 - Comes with almost all the bells and whistles except for features like ventilated seats. Mechanically sound but could have been slightly better off on the NVH part.
9/10 for 4 - Safety of 5* which is proof for the build quality, the suspension could have been slightly more confident giving, excellent space, seat comfort could have been slightly better.
7/10 for 5 - There is enough room for improvement in spite of a significant uplift from the XUV500 days (2011).
10/10 for 6 - Definitely a market disrupter here.

Finally, an INDIAN car with true global standards.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 8th December 2021 at 19:56.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Voted for XUV700.

This year's choice is much easier. XUV700 is a complete package at a reasonable price. Had not I been worried for initial niggles of a freshly baked Mahindra vehicle (something I personally learnt from my experience with TUV300), I would have already been in the queue to buy an XUV700

Last edited by airbus : 8th December 2021 at 20:11. Reason: Grammar.
Old 8th December 2021, 20:46   #52
Team-BHP Support

The XUV700 is a clear winner this year for sure but I am not going to vote for it. The car has to be available to buy not be delivered after 1 year. Just putting a handful of cars on the road is not the same.

We don't know of any major niggles, any early problems.

I haven't voted yet but most likely my vote will go to the Taigun.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:53   #53
Senior - BHPian

It’s no Surprise to see the XUV700 leading with nearly 70% of the votes polled in so far! And my vote goes to the XUV700 too! I think it’s one of those rare years where the car of the year votes are so skewed towards one car!

In my personal view, I have always upheld this belief that the car of the year should be a car that sort of redefines its segment and creates new benchmarks for the competition to look up to!

And the XUV700 does this with ease! Initial niggles, potential small issues, delivery timelines aside, the product is one comprehensive package! Safety, futuristic technology, features, powerful engines, space, ergonomics, well and much more, it’s got everything spot on! And most importantly it’s well priced too, which is also rare these days! Obviously one year down the line the prices would be way higher, but that’s a given with any super successful product! And I believe the introductory pricing was to create shock waves across the board, make everyone take notice, and Mahindra have done that quite well.

Although when I looked at the car in person, the car did not tug my heart emotionally, maybe because the looks aren’t its best talking point. But the design is cohesive, unlike the new Creta, Aura etc.

Anyway, this is a lesson for all automobile companies in India, as to how to get a product right in almost all aspects including the price. I hope Tata and Hyundai sit up, take notice and learn ( I trust only these two companies in India to really make an effort in any aspect, unlike Maruti, Honda and Toyota who just don’t seem to care ).

Congratulations Mahindra!
Old 8th December 2021, 20:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Think this year’s poll result was a foregone conclusion even before GTO set things in motion by voting for the XUV700.
--snip--

But to my mind, for a car to be Car of The Year, it should not just have been launched, but should have reached customers.

--snip--

So whom did I vote for? Of course, the Safari, which would have almost certainly swept this poll if the XUV700 had not been launched - but is currently languishing in 4th place behind even the Force Gurkha.
I certainly laud your valiant attempt in swimming against the deluge that is XUV700 this year. And likely to continue the same way for most of the next.

Multiple posts have already explained the reasons. What I find striking additionally is that an Indian company can challenge Hyundai and Kia at the feature & price game, which is how the siblings made their name the world over.
Old 8th December 2021, 21:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
But to my mind, for a car to be Car of The Year, it should not just have been launched, but should have reached customers.
The idea is appealing for me too. Maybe cars launched in the current and previous year should be accommodated (as otherwise some cars would be left out; XUV 700,for eg) and to account for two years we should have:
Car of Dous Years
(CODY)

T-Bhp can start the trend.

Last edited by Poitive : 8th December 2021 at 21:33. Reason: Correcting formatting, adding "CODY"
Old 8th December 2021, 22:12   #56
BHPian

For the year, 2021, Mahindra XUV700 is a clear winner in my book.
Good Engine and Gearbox combination, 5 seater or 7 seater configurations, Different variants, ADAS, FSD, even option for AWD.

Just a few more features that should have been considered are, Ventilated seats, Auto dimming IRVM, Captain seat option etc.
Old 9th December 2021, 07:44   #57
BHPian

Own a safari but voted for the xuv700! I am a fan for sure, kudos to mahindra! Do I regret not waiting 6 months for it? No, definitely not with the now extended waiting period. Happy with the safari but the xuv700 is the better car, in terms of safety, performance and features!

I also absolutely love and have much respect for the kushaq! Had a very different set of requirements for a car this time around else would have been driving around in it!

Last edited by raamki : 9th December 2021 at 08:10. Reason: Typo
Old 9th December 2021, 08:22   #58
BHPian

Voted for the Octavia for the sheer quality of interiors. I know it is overpriced but that will not takeaway the brilliance of the car.

I would have loved to vote for Xuv700 but I am yet to get to terms with its design. I wouldn't call it ugly but it is not to my taste.
DonHyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 08:33   #59
BHPian

I voted for XUV700. They have absolutely hit it out of the park with the features and pricing. My heart was with the Safari till the XUV was launched.

From launch perspective it has been a lean year for all the OEMs. Covid closures and chip shortages have impacted product launches both in 2020 and 2021. Hopefully 2022 will see more launches and interesting cars.
Old 9th December 2021, 08:52   #60
BHPian

Voted for XUV700 but booked Innova Crysta in reality
sudharshan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks