Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2021, 07:47   #1
BHPian

Indian cars with the worst horns and lock/unlock sounds

I was woken up yesterday night at 2 AM by the loud and jarring lock/unlock sound of my neighbour's Grand i10 Nios. To save costs, Hyundai has connected the main horn to the central locking system in the Nios and Aura instead of equipping them with a smaller auxiliary beeper.

On top of this, these car horns themselves sound more like a cheap autorickshaw's. Also, there seems to be no easy way for car owners to disable the car horn honking with the remote locking system:

In Europe, car manufacturers are mandatorily required to include silent locking options so as to not cause noise pollution but sadly such regulation is absent in India. Are there any other cars with such badly designed horns in India? Should we have laws regulating it?
Gotcha is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Indian cars with the worst horns and lock/unlock sounds

VW cars also have the same system. But I personally feel they aren't as irritating as the one on Hyundai's.
saikishor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seriously hate that horn sound while locking and unlocking. Have booked an i20 and waiting for delivery. Was thinking there is an option to mute this - are we saying we need to live with that irritating sound? Need to check for a solution.
On other note my Octavia just have the blinkers and sound of locking / unlocking. No added noise
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

My Verna's lock-unlock sound is also really cheap. It sounds like one of those horns that come in mopeds. I have permanently disconnected the beeper because of this. I know I will be missing the intrusion alarm feature, but the lock-unlock sound was so embarrassing.
clevermax is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:29   #5
BHPian

In Hyundai cars, you can disable/enable honking during lock and unlock actions by -

Quote:
Pressing and holding the lock + unlock buttons together on the key until the indicators blink (may be for 10 seconds).
I have tested this in Creta and Venue (both BS6). Hopefully same should work in other latest Hyundai cars too. This procedure seems generic and may work for other brands as well.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The lower variants of the B segment (Eon now defunct to i20 (anything prefixed after that)) Hyundais have a less audible single horn that appears to be an "intelligent" cost saving by HMIL to pass on the benefit of a few hundred bucks to their "valued" customers. The driver feels lost amidst the honks by other cars. Though honking is not desired, whenever one blows the horn it needs to be doing the duty it is meant for.

These customers spend several lakhs to buy their prized possessions though !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th December 2021 at 13:55.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 14:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The lower variants of the B segment (Eon now defunct to i20 (anything prefixed after that)) Hyundais have a less audible single horn that appears to be an "intelligent" cost saving by HMIL to pass on the benefit of a few hundred bucks to their "valued" customers.
I'd still take these current gen ones over the non trumpet type (i.e. beep beep) dual horn that the previous gen i20, Verna used to carry. It sounded literally anemic right from the day 1. So poor was it, that for many months I kept thinking I was coming across a remarkably high proportion of Hyundai cars with malfunctioning horns with poor current supply. Turned out - that's how they all were! It was further glaring given at the same time the Creta had (and has) a very premium and powerful sounding horn!
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 15:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have to appreciate your eye for detail or rather ear for detail. My brother has a Hyundai and trust me, the lock/unlock sound is horrible. My XUV has a very small beep which is hardly audible. Not that I am complaining but when we live in apartments, these can be quite irritating.
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
In Hyundai cars, you can disable/enable honking during lock and unlock actions by -

I have a Kia Seltos and find the loud horn sound while locking/unlocking really annoying! Especially when you come home late at night. Will this trick work on the Seltos too?

At the time of taking delivery, I had asked the dealer if it could be turned off, but he said it was not possible.
manishk123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:52   #10

I own a 2015 Verna (4s), it doesn't have lock/unlock sound. Will try the 10 second feature, though. However, I am happy with the blinkers and don't require such noise to tell neighbours/surrounding people about my presence.
MangoMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I have a Kia Seltos and find the loud horn sound while locking/unlocking really annoying! Especially when you come home late at night. Will this trick work on the Seltos too?

At the time of taking delivery, I had asked the dealer if it could be turned off, but he said it was not possible.
Yes it does.
I did it for my Sonet at time of delivery and this works for Seltos too as seen in this video.

harry10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:20   #12
BHPian

Hyundai - KIA - VW is the worst of the lot. Especially in underground parking where the sound just echoes.

Also, not sure if it's just my observation, I have seen Hyundai - KIA - VW people honking the most. (maybe it is since the horn is so LOUD)

Wish the manufacturers try to tackle the problem of noise pollution a bit more seriously.

Also, I have seen people on the forum wanting to change their horn to a louder one or dual-tone or something. Please do not do that. It's very difficult for old people since they get alarmed at such loud noises.
vishegde is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am the odd man out. For my grand i10, horn is so weak that I myself do not hear the sound when I press the horn.

I always think the horn has sour throat and hence never blow.

However, remote central locking is no nonsense function. Just works silently
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 20:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

More than the just the sound of the Horn, I have found that in some of these cars you actually feel as if the Horn is inside the cabin! My wife had a Brio earlier and first thing the OEM was an extremely cheap sounding horn, not in terms of the volume or anything, but it just sounded cheap, second thing is that one would literally feel as if the Horn was inside the car, rather then in the engine bay!

My current car, a 1st Gen Creta has a wonderful Horn, just loud enough, but also not annoying. Also contradictory to most statements here, I find Hyundais to have decent horns. My wife has the Elite i20, and it has a decent horn. I have been checking with the Hyundai dealer if I can switch it to the same one as in my Creta, but these service guys just don’t budge. They simply state it’s not compatible.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 10:00   #15
BHPian

My Hyundai Venue SX Plus DCT's lock/unlock sound isnt connected to main horn , its a low pitch beep sound (I believe it doubles up as burglar alarm).

The sound is pathetic but not irritating.

I find Maruti's high pitch beep lock/unlock sound to be most decent among all.
AjinkyaP is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks