Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2022, 20:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Shortage of smart cards from RTOs in some states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
I see Kerala provides similar printouts, but they are laminated by default.
In case of Kerala that is how stupid original RC looks like . I had smart card for the KA registered car in 2009.
Old 19th April 2022, 22:35   #47

Took delivery of CB350RS on 18th Feb 2022. I wanted to get it registered at Electronic City RTO (KA51) which is hardly 5mins from my place but the BigWing guys seemed to be uncomfortable with that RTO and pushed me to get it registered at Jayanagar RTO(KA05). Was promised to get the RC card within one month but still no sign of it.
Personally visited the RTO to collect the card a month ago. All they said was RC card printing of the series(KA 05 LH XXXX) my bike is registered with hasn't started yet and I had to wait for god knows how long
Any one with that series received the smart card or atleast the printout?

Regards,
advaithraju
advaithraju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 08:13   #48
BHPian

Is this chip shortage only affecting RC Cards ??? We got my dad’s DL renewed and in 30 days we got the DL Smart card by post.

Whereas my new car’s RC (KA05), there is absolutely no sign of it.
Old 20th April 2022, 14:51   #49
BHPian

They might as well do away with this stupidity and ask people to download a copy of the RC from the vahan website. I think they are keeping up this charade just to keep the well oiled machine of RTO bribes / selling those nifty pouches and self addressed envelopes going. Cops accept e-copy of the documents these days, so why bother running around for a piece of paper you can download from the web.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 15:32   #50
BHPian

It is not because of the semiconductor shortage. It is mainly due to the tussle between the Transport Department and the agency that issues the smart cards. Even I got FC renewed for my bike, and the agent just handed over this paper card.

Going by the tussle, just like the HSRP tender process, it may take months for them to revert to smart cards.

Also, even the agency which was issuing the smart card used to take a bribe of Rs. 60 (as cash) without receipt for the license, which is common in Jayanagar RTO.
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:00   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaithraju View Post
Any one with that series received the smart card or atleast the printout?
advaithraju
A few months ago even I had to wait for my KA51 HRxxxx number for more than 6 weeks. I would recommend you download DigiLocker and mParivahan app. In my experience both apps have been excellent and provide all the details in e-copy. As you might already know, cops accept copies from both of those apps. You can even take a printout of e-copy from mParivahan (just in case if you are worried about spotty internet where you travel).
nakribha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 08:04   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakribha View Post
In my experience both apps have been excellent and provide all the details in e-copy.
I never carry any physical copy of documents with me, be it original or a duplicate. As u said the DigiLocker and mParivahan does the job. I have been stopped by the cops a couple of times in and around Bangalore but they promptly agree to see the e-copy.
The ownership of a new vehicle isn't complete with an RC card in hand in my opinion

Regards,
advaithraju
advaithraju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

RTOs across Karnataka have stopped issuing Registration Certificate Slips and now it's back to Smart Cards. My Agent said this yesterday.

My dad has applied for his DL Renewal, while my recently acquired Tata Punch is due for Permanent Registration.

Will get to know the reality in coming days.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 16:35   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Guys,

RTOs across Karnataka have stopped issuing Registration Certificate Slips and now it's back to Smart Cards. My Agent said this yesterday.
A good riddance and a saving of Rs 300-400 by every motor vehicle owner/driver on his RC/licence as applicable.

These smart cards are barely readable in a majority of cases by portable devices to decode the data by law enforcers if need be. They were intended to be compatible for decoding by portable devices when launched more than a decade ago by most states. With the accessible Parivahan portal, any motor vehicle's or driving licensee's credentials can be well verified.

The paper receipt is quite valid and OK. Only a point that the original needs to be kept securely and a copy of the same could be carried or if feasible a soft copy could be stored in the digilocker.

The reason is that the old smart card vendor's contract has expired and a new tender will have to be floated to award a new contract to someone who usually is the state government's favourite.
Old 1st June 2022, 19:42   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
I think this is a good thing and there is another angle to it. Because in the paper thing, there is no concept of "original". Any colour printout will look like original.

Imagine if someone unscrupulous got hold of a mere copy of your paper RC and a copy of your ID, it seems to me that he can have your vehicle ownership transferred to anyone he wishes. Yes, the transfer requires a signature on forms, but who can even tell if a signature is correct or not? (unless I am missing something)
Old 18th July 2022, 19:06   #56
BHPian

I can confirm that the RC Cards are back. Received my bikes RC card 3 days back. The major reason I love cards instead of paper is that they are easy to carry(as its a credit card size) and have always been very durable. On the other hand, the paper ones which KL govt gave me for my car and license is not durable and one accidental wash or a rain ride is all it takes to destroy them.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:15   #57

RC Smart Cards are back. Registered my car on 16th June and got RC smart card on 22nd Aug'2022 in Bangalore. KA50 registration.
Old 24th August 2022, 22:35   #58
BHPian

Any idea if the paper RC can be converted to smart card RC now?

I received my Carens paper RC exactly 90 days after registration from KA05
Old 24th August 2022, 23:10   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItGuyTravel View Post
RC Smart Cards are back. Registered my car on 16th June and got RC smart card on 22nd Aug'2022 in Bangalore. KA50 registration.
Indeed. Smart cards are back. I sold my old car and the new owner got a RC smart card. Cars24 sent me the proof and my new car i still haven’t got an RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
I received my Carens paper RC exactly 90 days after registration from KA05
On the other hand, I bought a new car, registered on 29th March and I still haven’t recieved my RC smart card or paper RC. Car is registered in KA05 RTO.
drhoneycake is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 23:53   #60
BHPian

I bought a XL6 on 27 July 22. It’s a KA05 number. As per the dealer the waiting time for the registration card is between 90 to 120 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks