Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 20:30   #91
BHPian

Re: Tell us about your automotive regrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Below are my automotive regrets:
My dear friend, you’re a good RegretCeption
sangam_mm93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 21:41   #92
BHPian

I was India in 2020 and we never properly owned a car. Pandemic forced us to get a car to run errands as well as trips to home town. Since my parents cannot drive, in my absence the car will be a garage queen. Once in a while if necessary my parents will hire a driver so AT was out of consideration.

I wanted to buy Skoda Rapid Rider and my dad wanted a Swift and because of the poor crash test results ended up buying Ignis (Not that it’s great but a little more confidence inspiring over Swift imho).

Two regrets now:
Should have bought Rapid Rider
Should have at least bought Ignis AT.

When I visit my parents in 2022, I am planning to get them Slavia/Xuv700 for my parents and shift Ignis to my hometown
FiestaST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 22:24   #93
BHPian

My automotive regrets:

1. Letting go off our 2009 M800 in 2012 to buy the Alto 800 which was newly launched back then.

2. Letting go off our Alto 800 in 2018 to buy the Alto K10 AMT (this decision was taken by my family members when I was away from my home).

3. Buying a Wagonr in 2018 (not much of a regret, but still...)

Reasons for buying the Wagonr:

We already own a Stingray and we love it. When we were looking for a replacement of the Alto K10 AMT (had to sell because I had lower back problem and I hated AMT), I considered Tiago and Wagonr.

Rejected Tiago because the base optional variant XE (O) came only with dual airbags and no ABS, and I was also not so sure about TASS.

I came across the news of the next gen Wagonr in 2019 which I knew, would be based on the Heartect platform. It was a strict no for me.

As our Stingray had no major complaints, I thought we could buy a Wagonr 2018 model which, at that time, came with dual airbags and ABS in the LXi optional variant, but we finally ended up buying the LXi variant. For more details: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4688506 (Is Maruti's announcement of Optional ABS & Airbags just on paper?). Also, planned to keep this Wagonr as a replacement for the Stingray as the Stingray had some issues, which were later rectified.

Thank God we didn't sell our Stingray, and we won't be selling it in the near future.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 19th November 2021 at 22:25.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 00:47   #94
BHPian

Regret:
Not buying the last batch RX-135.

Was looking to upgrade from the Bajaj Caliber. So started scouting for a new bike. Went to Farid Motors on Lalbagh road. The sales people were literally begging me to go for it and they would deliver the registered vehicle by that evening with complete paper work as the 2 strokes were being phased out. I, being the jackass told them I would be back in a moment. Got out, crossed the road, went into Prakash Motors and booked the HH Ambition. The worst decision of my life. The bike was terrible, got mileage similar to the 2 strokes and when I traded it in for RE Thunderbird(another stupid decision) got offered less money than a older HH Splendor.
My regret was lessened a bit when finally I bought a used RX135 in 2018. Was in good condition, but built it back to immaculate condition. Was a weekend showoff. Strangers offered to buy it at premium but I always nodded NO. Alas that sense of satisfaction did not last long either since the bike was stolen from my ground floor parking. Was parked in between the wall and an older scooter, chained down and locked. The bike craze truly left me that day.
AJITHAAA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 04:57   #95
BANNED

My regrets
1. Letting go of my Yamaha RX135 as I was not using it and it was sitting idle. Then purchased Honda unicorn after few months but missing the raw power of Yamaha.
2. I met with an accident with my Honda City and the car was totally mangled beyond repair. Have to let it go.
3. After the loss of Honda City car, bought Santro due to budget constraints. I should have waited for few months in order cope up with the loss of Honda City as it has make a big dent in my pocket. Family pressure compelled me to bring Santro but not happy with the car.
Somz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 08:54   #96
BHPian

Buying Nexon petrol xm over top varient in diesel remains my top automotive regret till now. At that time price difference over 2 lakh over xm didnt made any sense also staff at tata motors didnt care as well( this was in early 2018 when tata had miniscule sales). After experiencing the awesome TASS I won't be looking at a Tata car no matter how good it is.
JJ1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 09:52   #97
BHPian

Bought a Ritz VDI in the year 2011. It was the last batch of the original DDIS engines(without the cost cutting and with excellent build quality) and the turbo boost was addictive. It was fuel efficient and fast as well. Drove it for 85000 clicks till 2020. Due to the draconian rule of 10 years for a diesel car, had to sell it off. The pollution levels were really low even with longish service interval. Someone in Punjab is driving it now with a PB number plate.

Second regret was Ford leaving india. Had bought a Ford freestyle titanium+ petrol in 2019. The car is excellent and the service cost is really low. It is fuel efficient as well. Whenever i go for service now to the service center, i somehow feel that all the ford vehicles are sad. They feel like a kid whose parents have got separated and they have been left abandoned on the road for no fault of theirs.
su1978 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 11:46   #98
BHPian

I bought a Tata Nexon XM S D last month. Though I love the car there is one heavy regret.

I should have opted for the AMT.

After having used a Honda City ZX CVT for 50k kms. I decided on buying a new car as the City had terrible leakage issues and had neared 15 years in age. However the comfort it provided was unparalleled.

I had initially booked the Ecosport TDCi manual as there was no auto on offer. That fell apart with the Ford fiasco. This is when I got too smart. The Nexon had a better clutch action than the Ecosport. It is light and the travel range is short. Having driven my father in laws Kwid AMT extensively, I was aware of the nature of AMTs. It would be nowhere close to the smooth CVT which I am so used to. I though what's the use of paying 80k more for a jerky transmission? Right?

Wrong! Wrongzilla!

I quote distinguished bhpian Reinhards wise words which dawned very late on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If we look at the sales number break-ups - I'm sure AMT versions of all cars that do offer it - will show sufficient numbers to justify the technology.

Being an AMT owner myself (in my city hatch) - I find it absolutely fine as long as I know how it behaves AND I know what my requirements are. Its an improvement over an MT in terms of convenience. Absolutely everything else - is like an MT! People complain a lot about the slow shifts of an AMT - I'd like to see these people shift a lot faster and efficiently than the AMT without damaging the clutch or getting abysmal FE figures. Maybe a few true enthusiasts and experts. How many real world drivers are like that? If we look at the accidents & traffic discipline of drivers on our roads - they are below average. AMT is just fine.
Yes that person is me. I realised I am a bad shifter. Especially on a six speed diesel. The ratios are tall and I'm constantly fiddling to keep the car in the correct gear. Though I'm getting better at it post 1700 kms I could have avoided the hassle altogether. Add to it, my 90kms daily commute to office In peak Mumbai traffic.

In the first week the regret was so high that I considered exchanging the car for an AMT. But now I've decided to live with it.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 11:53   #99
BHPian

Back in 2009, we were looking to replace our then 7 year old WagonR. The cars we considered were the Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Aveo and Maruti SX4. After test drives we absolutely fell in love with the Fiesta but we were hesitant because of the horror stories we had heard about Ford ASS and the supposedly exorbitant maintenance costs. Ended up going with an Aveo 1.4 which was mechanically a good car but proved to be underpowered, unreliable and troublesome. Till this day we regret not getting a Fiesta 1.6 SXI. Ended up selling the Aveo in just 4 years and replaced it with a 3rd gen city. And owning an Ecosport now just makes the Fiesta seem like an even bigger missed opportunity because this has been by far the best ownership experience we have had with a car.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:05   #100
BHPian

We bought home our current steed Elite i20 Asta 1.2 VTVT in 2016. Though I love my car to the core, at times the lethargic 1.2 engine makes me regret the decision. I should have gone for the diesel 1.4 engine or waited for Baleno. The quoted 6 month waiting period for Baleno at that time made us choose the i20 instead.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:45   #101
BHPian

The biggest regret till now is selling our beloved 2010 Ritz ZXI two years ago. It was more or less a part of our family and everyone were attached to it as it was dad's first car. It had close to 170k on the odo but still used to drive like a charm with zero issues and breakdowns.

This regret intensified when we found the same Ritz for sale on OLX for a much higher price than what we sold it for and the odo was tampered to 87k!

We still have hopes of buying it back one day and I wish that day will come soon
DIV17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 14:04   #102
BANNED

Biggest Regret:- Selling off my immaculately maintained Fiesta SXI to a person who is least interested in maintaining a car. Now the worst regret in my life is seeing my beloved fiesta in such a pathetic condition.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 14:41   #103
BHPian

This is regret which I have at times, but I'm the only one who has it in my family.
We got the i20 Active SX petrol in 2017. While it grew on me and I like driving it a lot more than the regular i20 Elite, I can't shake off this regret that I could have gone for the CRDi instead.
But the car does only around 10k kms or less a year, so I've kind of made my peace with it now.
Given a chance to go back in time, I would have insisted that we get the diesel engine instead, and ensured that our usage matches it.
Small Bot is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 15:05   #104
BHPian

So many regrets, and still counting!

Regret 1:

Going for Mercedes B Class: Cometh 2014, and my parents were quite convinced with the B class, the C was just 3.5Lakhs higher than the B, and I tried my best to convince them for the C but they just did not want a sedan. Though the B has served us well, has been driven for over 92k in 7+ years of ownership, But I've always thought about C having better resale value and a much better offering.

Regret 2:

Letting go off VW Polo GT (DSG): Bought this rocket in 2019 March, and had to upgrade to a bigger vehicle in 2020. Replaced this with the Seltos, but Literally I miss the DSG and the excellent handling capabilities of the VW. Had heavily modded this beast but just lost this gem!

Regret 3:

Getting the Civic 2019: Bought this vehicle in August 2019, have sparingly driven it to only 15k in 2+ Years... Should have bought the Octavia with the DSG instead... CVT is too boring IMO.

And the list goes on.. and on..
aamishdhingra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 16:33   #105
BHPian

My biggest regret is selling off my XUV-500 in 2018, It was immaculately maintained and only done 45000 Kms in 2 and half years. It was a mean machine and served me very well on the long and short drives of life.

I still remember when it started in one shot in freezing cold/snow of Shimla.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20170310_105920.jpg  

Last edited by ShivrajG : 20th November 2021 at 16:34.
ShivrajG is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks