Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 15:34   #76
BHPian

Re: Tell us about your automotive regrets!

After Ritz I bought Verna, Kwid, Hexa and now the Innova Crysta.

Looking back I should have gone from the Ritz to an Etios and then to the Innova. Would have saved lot of money which could have been invested on land, which in turn would have quadrupled by now. But if we folks were that sensible we wouldn't be here in the first place!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 16:02   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

I currently have 0 regrets. I did have temporary regrets that soon go away with consecutive car purchases.

1. I regretted selling away my Safari Dicor. It was short-lived as I picked up a Storme Varicor 400 soon after.

2. I heavily regretted not buying the Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI when it was on sale in December 2019, with a 2 lakh discount. That regret was over me for over a year and a half. I bought an Altroz 1.5 diesel a few days back and it absolutely fills that lust I had for the Rapid. Though the Tata isn't as powerful outright, it's equally fun to drive and is more than adequately fast.

Bikes though, I have one big regret. I loved the CBZ but couldn't buy one (was a school kid then). I made for it by getting the Karizma R later. I still look twice when ever I see a well maintained CBZ on road.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th November 2021 at 16:06.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 16:05   #78
BHPian

Year 2013. Looking to buy my first car with a very tight budget. Punto and Figo diesels were out of my budget and I didn't try hard enough for a Swift. Decided on a WagonR but at the very last minute changed to Ritz VXi. I regret not buying Punto but very happy that I got Ritz instead of the WagonR.

Year 2016. Bought a Classic 350. I knew it was going to be a downgrade from Classic 500 that I had owned a couple of years earlier but tried to convince myself that a 350 was more practical for office commutes. It was boring from day one. I preferred riding my scooter than the 350. Finally sold off after 2 years.

Next car purchase is due in 2-3 years. I'm not confident that I'll not regret the next purchase in the years to come
Biker Ram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 16:46   #79
BHPian

Till 2018 I was using a 2 wheeler as a primary commute vehicle and have used a good 7~ two wheelers. Biggest regret was to sell TVS Apache 160 not that the vehicle had any problems, but due to its riding stance/posture my left shoulder started paining. I simply did not use the bike for about 3 months and later decided to part ways with it, nowadays my primary ride is Tata Tiago.
SulemanP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 16:48   #80
BHPian

This thread just digs up old wounds !

Here goes my list:

IN INDIA

REGRET 1:
Back in 2011 when the second generation swift launched, my dad stubbornly booked the VDi spec instead of ZDi, later on regretted having to spend more to get the car fitted with alloys and a music system. Biggest regret was the lack of ABS and an airbag, of which the former could have saved me from an accident in 2013. Anyways, passed it on to my brother and sold it for a decent sum in 2017.

REGRET 2:Cheaped out on buying a Vento 1.5 TDi DSG highline plus and settled for an Ameo TDi DSG highline in 2017. Still have the Ameo and every time I see the rear space, regrets kick in.

ABROAD

REGRET 1:
Buying a Honda HRV hybrid in 2015 without even a TD and regretting every time I sat in the driver's seat. Held on to it for 1.5 years and sold it to a friend.

REGRET 2: Opting for the naturally aspirated engine model of the Toyota Harrier over the turbocharged 235bhp just because I loved the tan interior on the NA version that wasn't available on the turbo version. Still got the car, very reliable, high on passenger comfort but driving pleasure is non existent.

REGRET 3: Opted to buy a W205 C200 1.5 EQ boost over a 10th Gen Accord 1.5 T just for the brand value of a Mercedes. Same performance, but the Accord was more comfortable, big on space and somehow feels more luxurious than a Mercedes. But most of all the A7 like swooping looks on the Accord still makes me regret cancelling my booking to this very day. Seeing one on the road in my favorite color adds salt to my wounds every time. Must be the first time someone regrets getting a Mercedes over a Honda
RajeevMD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 17:09   #81
BHPian

[quote=amol4184;5197532]There are multiple other mentions of AMTs being bad in this thread and I am glad I did not add one more to my regret list. I was this close to getting Nexon AMT.

Have a Nexon P AMT (2021) and driven close to 11K already. Am absolutely fine with its performance and totally satisfied so far. But, having ready so many posts about AMT, keeping my fingers crossed and hope it holds good for few more years. I did speak with many AMT owners before buying. Never heard any negative feedback at all.
NvrGivUp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 17:21   #82
BHPian

This one surely opens up old wounds.

Mine - Buying a Hyundai i10, in 2010, while I loved both Fiat Punto and Suzuki Swift.

I convinced one of my close friends to take a test drive for Punto Diesel and he immediately paid the booking amount. Did not go for punto because it was over budget.

Dad did not like the round curves of Swift and I also gave in since I desperately wanted to own a car, since I was newly married

I still own the i10, 45k driven, the engine is super smooth, clutch on the last leg hence I am going to sell it by end of this year to buy another hatchback or a CSUV, the one I like.
vivek.ks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 17:33   #83
BHPian

We have had our share of regrets in the past few years or i can say not regrets, more like missed opportunities, but they feel like regrets in hindsight.

Not buying Safari Storme

When we purchased our Ertiga ZXi in 2014, my father and i went to check out the Zest which was newly launched at that time. There was a Safari Storme on display there and it looked absolutely smashing and it would give us peace of mind traveling in Hills in it's 4x4 avatar as well. We didn't care about the FE, resale value etc.

BUT! Us being a family of 3 (4 actually, but sister lives abroad) found the vehicle a tad too big and it would be a hassle to drive in the city without a driver. Tata never made a test drive vehicle available either in multiple visits which resulted in our enthusiasm dying for the car as well.

To this day, both me and my dad still envy any Storme passing by

Not Replacing our Ertiga during GST introduction

It was in 2017 when i pestered my family to buy an Hexa or XUV500 as the GST tax reduction (from 53% to 28% ?) made the prices mouthwatering. But as luck would have it, we needed the cash elsewhere at that time and couldn't make our decision concrete on buying a car.

Not buying a 2 wheeler during BS4 phase out

We contemplated about buying an Activa125 BS4 as the discounts were good enough when there aren't usually any on such high selling model and it was the last remaining stock with the dealer. But in the end we decided not to, thinking the price hike wouldn't be much.
Since we already have an Ntorq125, I decided to buy a bicycle for my short commutes as it's easy on the pocket as well as the environment.
Doonite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 17:38   #84
BHPian

My regret is selling my perfectly well maintained Getz1.3, that too for a paltry 1.25 lakhs,
It's not much about money, my quandary was maintaining 2 cars, lack of parking space.

Its been 7 years now but, It still hurts badly, should have kept it.
Hemant_Joshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 17:53   #85
BHPian

My big automotive regret so far :
It was 2019 and I was using my bonkers Duke 390 as the daily, I do not know what planted this obnoxious seed of "oh this overheats in traffic" "oh it is a ruckus" in my head which got me thinking that I need a "smoother" bike as my daily runner and not this brash hooligan. Alas, I ended up selling it in late 2019.

The regret reaches its crescendo whenever I see a black 390 ripping past.

I did get a pre owned CBR250R owing to my "sensible" decision, to be honest the CBR is a good daily runner. Does its job smoothly without any fuss. But there are those moments when I get to those empty stretches and my favorite parts in the city where I used to just be grinning ear to ear in my old hooligan, those moments are not there at all now and again the regret reaches its crescendo.
skarface is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
This is my parent's regret but I feel like I should've tired to stop them and that is selling our 2005 WagonR 1.1L in Silky Silver, maybe I'm looking at through rose tinted glasses but as far as I remember the WagonR was a car that never complained, never gave us any problems, never asked for anything except the usual stuff (new tyres and brake pads, general maintenance and petrol in the tank) and always did it's job very well.

My parents still joke about how they should have kept it for a few more years so I could use it after I got my Drivers License.

Nobody in the family gave the WagonR a name but I used to call her Nora, our trusty WagonR 1.1L "Nora" was with us for 12 years (2005-2017) and ferried us around for almost 180,000km before we said goodbye to her to make way for our 2017 Honda City ZX CVT.

Just typing this reply has made me all teary eyed , last I heard about "Nora" was in Jan 2021, she's in Mysore with only the second owner and had now clocked over 220,000km as of the end of 2020 and was doing well.

And now with me being just a few months away from being eligible for a Driver's License, maybe I can look at buying a used Gen 1 pre facelift WagonR a couple of years down the line?
This, my parents also sold off an immaculately maintained 2004 Alto LXI(top variant back then) due to lack of parking space in our house as the 2014 ecosport has been brought home. Till this day my father complains of low mileage on the ecosport( hardly 9-10 kmpl- it's the 1.5 petrol), and now that me and my mom have learnt driving, we don't have a small car for short trips and errands. We sold it off at a paltry 1.3 lakh, and it had 1 lakh kilometres on the odo without any scratches and had recently been serviced too( major service including replacement of tires and suspension), to top it all off.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 19:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
Replacing an ageing car was certainly a need that I had ignored and this leads me to stick to my present car, at a time where I had expected to upgrade from my car. This may be my automotive regret, other than that I have not regretted any vehicular purchase or any other automotive-related issue.
What if I tell you that there is one car, a sedan which would qualify as an upgrade but would still be costing under 11 lacs on road i.e. less that 2 times of 5.5 lacs?

What if I tell you that this car comes loaded with ABS with EBD, dual front airbags, automatic climate control, rear seat AC vents, cruise control, tilt adjustable steering, all 4 door power windows, remote central lock, 15" alloy wheels, rear defogger, electric adjustable ORVM, integrated 3.5 Inch 2 din music system with USB, Aux, Bluetooth and 4 Speakers, steering mounted controls, LED DRL lights, dual tone upholstry, center seat armrest in front & rear, speed sensing auto door lock, height adjustable driver seat, body colored door handles & ORVM, rear Isofix to install child seats, anti theft security alarm system, and a whole lot more?

The car I am talking of is the 4th Gen Honda City SV which retails at around 10.2 lacs on-road Delhi without any discounts. Do check out with your nearest dealer and you may even be able to get this proper 3 box sedan in under 10 lacs.
Herschey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 20:18   #88
BHPian

My automotive regret = Buying a TATA, not once but twice

Back in 2011, we upgraded from a 9 year old preworshipped Hyundai Santro to a brand new Tata Manza Aura ABS (Quadrajet). Within 45 days of ownership (and 2000 kilometer on the odometer), turbo failed. After 2 month, of the car standing in ASC, during delivery got to know bumper and left fender was replaced, in short my new car was involved in an accident with the stunts of the ASC. This was just a start, the same car has given us another turbo expense in 4th year (and ~22,000 km), we have paid ₹2,00,000 bills twice. Happily sold vehicle at a huge loss in fifth year (and ~28,000 km).

I do follow, “Everyone should be given second chance”. With this mantra, we purchased Tata Tiago XZ (Revotroq) in 2016. Owned it for 33 months (and ~23,000 km) and happily sold it for a good price, thanks to fanboys and improvements in market image. Reasons for selling :-
  • Visit to ASC after every 2 weeks (on an average) was a pain.
  • 6 Engine A-Mount replacement, and later on after every 3,000 kilometer it was failing.
  • 3 Engine B-Mount replacement.
  • 2 Gearbox (or Engine?) C-Mount replacement.
  • Front struts replaced at 11,000 km.
  • 33 months of ownership = 33 official visits to ASC. I don’t even remember unofficial visits.
  • Rear Left wheel bearing replaced under warranty.
  • Brake failure, fortunately was able to avoid accident with use of engine braking and handbrake.
  • The clutch failed to get back in place, and remained depressed while shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear.
  • Being blocked by Pratap Bose on social media, when I started voicing the issues. Got to know it is an old practice.
All-in-all car was highly unreliable and safety was a concern, hence replaced it with Ford EcoSport.

Last edited by GautamJ : 19th November 2021 at 20:20.
GautamJ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 20:20   #89
BHPian

Biggest automotive regret - Opting for City 1.5 V MT in 2012. Auto transmission and sunroof are the only things me and my family miss in this otherwise wonderful car. Should have gone for 1.5 V AT (Sunroof).
mayank0782 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 20:30   #90
BHPian

This thread shouldn't have come up at all.. It just brought out all the pain that was buried and hidden away.

2005 - Sold my dad's Splendor which was in immaculate condition since he was no more and the Splendor was too small for me, and bought a used Bullet 350CI from a dealer in Bells Rd, Chennai. I was young and I was a noob, other than bragging about automobiles to friends who knew lesser than me, I didn't really have any knowledge. The bullet bit me hard, literally had to replace everything, half of which I don't even know if they were needed to be replaced. and yet it was troublesome! frequent breakdowns and more expenses. Luckily for me, the exteriors were excellent, and I also realized I was a better salesman than a consumer, I managed to sell it to someone and almost break even. But I would go on in my life and buy 3 more Royal Enfields, of which I still have one a TB500.

2015 - Bought a Punto 75MJD, avoided the 90hp simply because the discounts were lesser and its allegedly bad turbo lag at low speed. But after buying it I just loved the Punto so much on the highways, I was driving it everywhere. I missed the 90Hp so much on the flat open 4 lane roads. The Wolf remap made up for it a bit, but then remap on the 90 HP would have made it even more fun, it was just a 50K difference. Pennywise, pound foolish.

2017 - I picked up a used CBR250R ABS at dirt cheap price since the owner was rushing. A friend suggested that I try posting it on Olx for a higher price, it worked, I made a decent profit on it, the thrill of making a profit made me close the deal. But then I quickly realized it was not worth the profit, I had to shell out more to get a similar bike. And finding genuine bikes were tough.

2021 - Sold my Punto, at around 6years and 85k+ kms things, I dint want to drag it further with parts getting scarce by the day. If only Fiat was still around I would have happily kept the car for another 4-5 years, it was that solid. I bought the S-Cross after selling the Punto, instantly realized how Solid the little Fiat was. Be it the excellent sound insulation, rock-solid stability on highway speeds, arrow sharp steering are hard to match.

2021 - I bought the SCross, though I'm happy with the car and purchase itself, recently a friend of mine ended up selling his Polo to buy a Pajero GLX and he has been having fun last many months off-roading and tripping, and it got me thinking. Pajero was one of my all-time favorites, I could have got one for half the cost of the Scross, and with the WFH still in progress, last 3 months I've been in Idukki KL, I could have explored every nook and corner of the western ghats! This isn't really regret but a missed opportunity.

There are a few more, but I'll stop here and not risk people thinking I'm a complete idiot.
anand.shankar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks