Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 11:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Tell us about your automotive regrets!

I love my Swift, but my regret is not buying an automatic car in 2015. Our family had trust in the Maruti brand and none of us wanted to try something else at that point so we just went with the top variant of Swift petrol. Somewhat unbelievable that the automatic option was unavailable just six years ago for a premium hatch.

Baleno was available at the time with automatic as an option if I remember correctly, but we didn’t want to buy a new car that had just launched either. Conservatism and a fear of taking a risk left us stuck with a manual.

My Swift is finally being used well with 90% running on highways in the last two years. But every time I return to Mumbai, my left knee hurts thanks to the hard clutch. It’s become hard partly due to my poor driving habits in the first couple years of ownership and partly due to Mumbai traffic. I’ve been stuck in multiple jams here. Have frequently taken 2-4 hours to cover 10-15km in the city. Over a period of time it had a negative impact on the clutch and my knee.

I’m still in two minds about getting the pressure plate fixed. Sometimes I feel I should do it immediately for my knee but then my ego gets in the way and taunts me for requiring a clutch repair at just 30k kms. I may go for some more long highway and get it fixed at 45-50k kms. Not sure.

Other than that the Swift is amazing for me. Sure, I wish it had a better safety rating too but I’m going to keep that in mind for the next car, which is a few years away at this point.
Crow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:32   #47
BHPian

Below are my automotive regrets:

Letting go off Swift Diesel (45k kms) for a good exchange to Scorpio Diesel
Letting go off Scorpio Diesel (40K kms) due to financial crunch
Letting go off Punto Diesel with Code 6 Remapped (70K kms) to pick used Figo Diesel but missed the chance to buy Punto Diesel again.

Biggest regret is letting go of Punto Diesel Wolfmoto remapped (65k kms) to again buy used Figo Diesel and ended up buying SWIFT Petrol AMT due to more city usage & need of autobox. Still now I regret when i drive it. Just holding off so that my college going daughter would use it in near future.
blackstallion76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:46   #48

My biggest regret is selling off my Vista Quadrajet just when it crossed 1 lac km. It is still running well after 2 lac on the odo (sold to one of my relatives, so know he is really enjoying the car). The car was a complete VFM unlike the big name hatchbacks that cost double the price.
gotiyaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:41   #49
BHPian

My Car journey has been not so eventful as I keep things until they are broken. That would mean I may only own a few cars in lifetime with each car expected to last 10+ years. Also highly possible that I may have already bought the last ICE car in my garage.

With that in mind, my regret is to not buy a car with a large diesel engine (e.g. Compass, Tucson) while buying in 2019. I wanted to upgrade from a good diesel (Logan) to a larger diesel but these options were ~10L above my mental budget plus all the noise around diesel ban confused things as well. Tucson also had below average interiors for such a pricey car.

With a rather heavy heart I switched to Petrol and bought Seltos Turbo Petrol + DCT. Its a fantastic engine + GB combination but every time I see a Tucson I remember that I really wanted to get one. Family was OK with all options too.
Logan2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:46   #50
BHPian

My automotive regret: Buying Honda Hornet 2.0

I had a classic 350 since 2016, the bike was sparingly used between 2018-2020 as I was away from home. I started using it extensively once I came back home due to pandemic. Soon thereafter, the bike started having numerous electrical issues, got frustrated and sold that off.

Bought the Hornet without much test drive because I was frustrated with RE and was looking for a reliable and fuss free bike. But boy oh boy I was wrong, there is nothing wrong in the bike but it just not my cup of tea. Initial pick up is good and it is very flick able but that’s about it. The suspension is bone jarring, almost feel like a bicycle, you’ll get back pain within 10 km of riding it continuously.
The bike got no character, borderline boring. My wife refuses to sit pillion since the seat is very small and uncomfortable. And so on…

Looking forward to sell it as soon as I gather some courage and funds.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2021 at 09:15. Reason: Removing excessive smileys. Please go through the rules of the board. Thanks.
anshuman_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:05   #51
BHPian

Not buying Jazz over Brio, losing out on space and airiness.

Not buying automatic while majority driving was in crazy Bangalore traffic.

Not buying Ecosport when it was close to the top-end Figo Diesel price.
Thilak29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:23   #52
BHPian

No 1 in 2016- Buying a new Duster 85 instead of pre owned Cruze. My previous 2 cars were preowned.

No 2 in 2019-Buying Hexa through wife's company lease instead of Duster AWD or instead of lease take the allowance and buy Compass.

Regret no 1, somehow I made peace with Duster 85 but regret no 2, Hexa was a disaster.

Eyeing for a pre owned Compass now, hopefully will be able to make up for the regret.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:25   #53
BHPian

My only regret so far. - selling this rocket. Miss it so badly. What a machine it was! - took me to so many states of our lovely country.
Attached Thumbnails
Tell us about your automotive regrets!-fp_1.jpeg  

vinodvayyat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:28   #54
BHPian

I was in the market in 2018 to replace my Polo GT TDi. Most on this forum would say "Why would he want to replace a GT TDi". Well, during the days I was self driven and was doing 60-70 kms a day in Mumbai traffic, thankfully in the opposite direction. But with the long and heavy clutch, I was thinking of replacing it with an automatic.

Regret 1 - After test driving the Polo GTI I was convinced to go ahead with the buy. It was the last lot and VW had reduced the price to 19.xx ex-showroom. However I could not convince my better half, for her it was a Polo with 2 doors, similar interiors but for 20+ lacs. Today I feel I should have just surprised her with the purchase of the GTI. Would be few days of argument but years of driving pleasure. Till today I am on the lookout for a clean used example.

Regret 2 - We finally settled for a Ameo TDi Highline DSG. I gave my GT TDi in exchange to VW for a paltry 3.xx lacs in exchange. After having the Ameo for 3 years now, I realized how good the GT TDi actually was. Now don't get me wrong, the Ameo DSG is a great car, however the GT was in it's own league. I regret till date selling it. I should have remapped it and had some fun with it on weekends / nights. Few pictures of the GT TDi just before I gave it to VW.

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_093957.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094007.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094039.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094047.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094057.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094116.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094127.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094135.jpg

Tell us about your automotive regrets!-img_20181206_094146.jpg
BHPjunkie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:35   #55
BANNED

Not buying Civic AT, rather bought a Civic MT.. Now after 13 yrs, I feel I should have bought an AT..
swageo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Regret 1: Buying a VW Vento 1.6 MPI when there was an option to buy a 1.5 TDI or even better 1.5 TDI + DSG

Regret 2: Not buying a Linea MJD (Emotion) at an excellent price during the 2018 -2019 period.

Regret 3: Not considering an Etios Platinum with the exclusive Blue colour. Ever reliable and could have outlived my best driving age!
VWAllstar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 10:57   #57
BHPian

Buying my Royal Enfield Himalayan from the first lot in 2016, I have had to face many initial niggles. However, it taught me a lesson in life to be Strong and inspired me to join Gym (To pull 190kgs weight whenever it breaks down on the middle of a road).
snallagatla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:06   #58
BHPian

My biggest regret :

Buying a new car.

It doesn't make any sense when we have so many used cars at 1/4th of the price. A used Toyota or a pre 2014 Honda will certainly outlast most of the new cars being sold today.
pta320 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:11   #59
BHPian

Circa 1999

Got my first paycheck!! Took out a loan and brought my first car- a Daewoo Matiz. Correction two Daewoo Matizs!- one for my soon to be spouse. The Santro was an alternative but ended up with the Daewoo product because the dealer was my friends father. The rest is history. Daewoo packed up in Korea and finally let go of the twins for rock bottom prices around 2004.

Circa 2007

Till this day i don't remember why I let go of a Swift LXi that had done 6000 kms in 3 years for a Swift Dzire. What was i thinking?

And there you have it. My automotive regrets that hurt even now.
petrogeek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 11:21   #60
BHPian

This is my parent's regret but I feel like I should've tired to stop them and that is selling our 2005 WagonR 1.1L in Silky Silver, maybe I'm looking at through rose tinted glasses but as far as I remember the WagonR was a car that never complained, never gave us any problems, never asked for anything except the usual stuff (new tyres and brake pads, general maintenance and petrol in the tank) and always did it's job very well.

My parents still joke about how they should have kept it for a few more years so I could use it after I got my Drivers License.

Nobody in the family gave the WagonR a name but I used to call her Nora, our trusty WagonR 1.1L "Nora" was with us for 12 years (2005-2017) and ferried us around for almost 180,000km before we said goodbye to her to make way for our 2017 Honda City ZX CVT.

Just typing this reply has made me all teary eyed , last I heard about "Nora" was in Jan 2021, she's in Mysore with only the second owner and had now clocked over 220,000km as of the end of 2020 and was doing well.

And now with me being just a few months away from being eligible for a Driver's License, maybe I can look at buying a used Gen 1 pre facelift WagonR a couple of years down the line?
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks