Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 11:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda working on sub-4m SUV for India

Skoda working on sub-4m SUV for India; to have huge export potential

Name:  20211111095548_Skoda sub 4m.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  36.6 KB

India 2.5’ will hinge on further development of models spun off of the VW Group’s MQB A0 platform, which Skoda has taken complete charge of.

Quote:
under the next phase of its plans for our market, the Czech automaker is working on a model that could see it enter the cut-throat, compact SUV segment. “It's a tough area to work in. The sub-4m segment is a tough segment. It’s got to have a good margin and look good
Quote:
While Skoda has indicated that it's actively studying the feasibility of a sub-4m offering, VW is yet to internally confirm a sister model
The car needs to look good. You can’t have a car only for India, to satisfy a tax opportunity. It’s got to be something that we also want to use globally.

But,

Quote:
This is not the time to do a project for a project’s sake. It better be carrying the margins and financial success, otherwise it’s not the time to invest. So, [Skoda] India has to face this challenge and come up with a plan that is successful, otherwise it’s not going to happen now.
Quote:
What is sure to be also weighing in on Skoda's decision is that every mass market player in India has either already jumped into the sub-4m SUV territory, or is planning to do so soon. With tough competition expected in India, the importance of a global appeal is that much more.
Likely to debut in late 2023 or beyond.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th November 2021 at 11:56.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:05   #2
BHPian

re: Skoda working on sub-4m SUV for India

Good news that the sub-4m SUV segment is becoming more appealing by the day with manufacturers considering penetrating it with newer offerings.

However for SKODA, whatever they build for our "competitive" market my urge will be to get the quality and reliability part sorted first. Its a pain to see news of newer Kushaqs getting towed.
haisaikat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:20   #3
BHPian

This will be akin to following the footsteps of Kia's launch in India. First launch a Mid SUV where maximum profits are gotton to the company, and then enter the sub 4M SUV category.

Skoda-VW can gain more than Kia here as they have got ONE single platform which can spawn out a Kushaq, a Slavia and a 4M SUV all out of the MQB-A0 IN platform. They might need to work a bit on accomodating 4M cars on the MQB-A0, but they lead the platform now. More common to their portfolio is the exciting 1.0 TSI engines which is already locally produced here. Similar to Kia-Hyundai, the 4M SUV will be less on space at the rear seat and a tad less comfortable to protect the Kushaq volumes.
anthusiast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 13:03   #4
BHPian

Logicial step, but given what i have seen in the Kushaq, i am not very sure about Skoda's ability to deliver low cost products that are done well, and also stick to its core brand values. Skoda cannot out-Hyundai Hyundai in India.

This product may see better export potential than India because it will be expensive. Having said that, looking at what happened with Ecosport exports (dwindling sales post a good reception), -the exports potential of sub 4 meter cars is questionable in itself.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 14:43   #5
BHPian

Re: Skoda working on sub-4m SUV for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
This will be akin to following the footsteps of Kia's launch in India. First launch a Mid SUV where maximum profits are gotton to the company, and then enter the sub 4M SUV category.
It is going to be all about timing the launches. Kia launched the Seltos in August 2019 and quickly followed by launching the Sonet in August 2020.

Skoda launched the Kushaq in 2021 and are planning to launch the sub 4 meter in late 2023. The rub off effect would have worn out by then, unless they launch an awesome Kushaq face-lift in 2023 and then quickly launch the sub 4M. I am also assuming that the popularity of the Kushaq would have increased by then and there is more positivity around it.

The sub 4M market is going to be quite cluttered by then and I just hope this doesn't go the Ameo way, a case of too little, too late.
Maverick1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:25   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Logicial step, but given what i have seen in the Kushaq, i am not very sure about Skoda's ability to deliver low cost products that are done well, and also stick to its core brand values.
They definitely could. Case in point = Polo, Vento & Rapid. Good build + quality at a fair price, especially in their early years. I don't have much of a problem with the Kushaq's interiors (except some fixable bits like the roofliner), however I do have an issue with them overpricing the top variants. In search of profits, they went too overboard (same story with the Octavia) for many customers.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

One issue here is the dimensions - Taigun and Kushaq feel sub-4m size IMHO except just in one dimension - the length. Coming at you from the opposite lane - I often feel that these two severely lack the road presence of a Creta, Seltos or even Kicks. In fact - Brezza, Nexon and XUV 3OO feel like a fair game against these Germans.

How do they design a sub-4m product to match with these rivals without cannibalising the 1.0 variants of their own siblings would be an interesting case study. Lear legroom alone can't be a differentiating factor to push customers to a higher segment.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks