Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:19   #1
BHPian

Is PUC required on a brand new car?

Before heading out for a long drive in the new Honda City - one month old, I need to find out if a PUC will be required? What are the rules? I will be crossing into Karnataka and Goa from Maharashtra.
MadinMumbai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:32   #2
BHPian

re: Is PUC required on a brand new car?

I believe for a brand new vehicle you don’t need PUC for the first year.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Before heading out for a long drive in the new Honda City - one month old, I need to find out if a PUC will be required? What are the rules? I will be crossing into Karnataka and Goa from Maharashtra.
Please see this image. If you have one like this, you're good to go, otherwise get in touch with dealer to obtain the same.
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Please see this image. If you have one like this, you're good to go, otherwise get in touch with dealer to obtain the same.
Thanks! I do have this.
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:55   #5
BHPian

AFAIK, brand new vehicles doesn't need PUC certificate for the first two years. I was stopped for usual documents check/ verification by highway patrol in 2019, and my vehicle was about one and half years old, they didn't ask for the PUC certificate and let me go once they found my RC and insurance was in order. I started taking PUC from the start of 3rd year of ownership. This was in Kerala and I suppose the law is same pan India.

Since 2019 I have never been stopped for documents verification so I don't know what they are looking for now.

The Non polluting vehicle sticker is still there same as the one in our 12 year old i10, but I think the validity of that sticker is for the first two years. I think I have read the same in the user manual of my Activa that the NPV certificate issued at the time of sale/ registration is valid for 2 years.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 2nd November 2021 at 10:59. Reason: Added content.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:28   #6
BHPian

I believe it is one year from date of registration. As per the FAQ of Delhi Motor Dept it is one year for newly registered 4 wheelers and 3 months for others.

Quote:
As per Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, every motor vehicle (including those conforming to BS-I/ BS-II/ BS-III/BS-IV as well as vehicles plying on CNG/LPG) is required to carry a valid PUC Certificate after the expiry of period of one year from the date of its first registration. However the validity of 4 wheeled BS-IV compliant vehicles is one year and for other vehicles it is three months.
astrodex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I have been in this situation with a new car as well as a bike. Few kms after the MH->KA border, they stopped me for doc check. The usual license, RC, insurance and PUC. I told them the car is under 1 year and they didn't bat an eye (The insurance copy has registration date). Same for the bike in Bangalore. They just check the License, RC and Insurance.

Oh this reminds me I need to get PUC for the bike next week. It'll be 1 year old!
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not needed as per my interaction with the Dealership.
However, it is not mentioned anywhere on the RTO Website etc.

Hence, to be on the safe side, I got the PUC done for my 2month Old Creta Diesel.
It costs hardly Rs100, and it is valid for 1 year.
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:28   #9
BHPian

Your license plate gives access to your car data to the authorities. My understanding is that cars don't never need to carry a PUC certificate anymore as it can been seen online. The DigiLocker app is very good in this regard and will automatically populate most if your government issued documents basis some online verification from your side.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
Your license plate gives access to your car data to the authorities. My understanding is that cars don't never need to carry a PUC certificate anymore as it can been seen online. The DigiLocker app is very good in this regard and will automatically populate most if your government issued documents basis some online verification from your side.
How do we get PUC in digilocker app?
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
KA RTO has not integrated PUC results into parivahaan.
Some states have done it, so you can see PUC status in mParivahan RC details.

For KA RTO, you can check your PUC status here:
http://etc.karnataka.gov.in/ReportingUser/Scgr1.aspx

Last edited by abhishek46 : 2nd November 2021 at 17:47.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just take it. Costs Rs. 80 bucks and is peace of mind. I always get PUC done even for brand new vehicles, as van portal also gets updated automatically. With frequent out of state runs to GJ and KA, I don't take a chance if the cop there would know all the rules.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 18:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Despite PUC being issued centrally it is not yet linked to the DigiLocker. However my understanding is that every traffic police has access to it online through Vahan Parivahan link.
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

A new car's PUC is valid for one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered (not manufactured, sold or driven out of a showroom). Thereafter, once in every six month's it has to be renewed. A PUC issued by any testing centre is valid throughout the country since these are now VAHAN linked.

The text quoted below is a reply by the Transport Minister in the Lok Sabha on 22.07.2021:-

Quote:
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways

Government standardised the Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUCC) form to a common format to be issued across the country

Posted On: 22 JUL 2021 12:44PM by PIB Delhi

This Ministry vide G.S.R. 410(E) dated 14-06-2021 has standardized the PUCC form to a common format to be issued across the country under Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.

This Ministry has notified G.S.R. 527(E) dated 06-06-2018 regarding linkage of PUC data with VAHAN database.

As per Rule 115(7) of the CMVR, 1989 “After the expiry of a period of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered, every such vehicle shall carry a valid “Pollution under Control” certificate issued by an agency authorised for this purpose by the State Government.

The validity of the certificate shall be for six months and the certificate shall always be carried in the vehicle and produced on demand by the officers referred to in sub-rule (1) of rule 116. Provided that the validity of the certificate shall be twelve months for the vehicles manufactured as per BS-IV or BS-VI norms”.

Further, this Ministry has also issued an advisory to State Governments for proper functioning of PUC centres, as under:

The State Transport Departments all over the country will mandate a PUC centre at every fuel station in their State.

The Calibration of PUC machines should be done at regular periodicity by third party agencies duly authorised by the Transport Department of the State. Further, the Transport Departments are also advised to carry random checks of the PUC centres and also to carry enforcement drive for PUC compliance by Motor Vehicle Owners.
Mandate pre-payment of PUC fee before the tests are conducted.
Introduce well-equipped mobile test centres and a programme to check visibly polluting vehicles.

Enforce stringent penalty for PUC centres for non-compliance and malpractices and to cancel the authorization of non-compliant PUC centres.
Implementation of the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 comes under purview of respective Governments of States and Union Territories.

This information was given by Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.

anjan_c2007 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 08:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is PUC required on a brand new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
Not true everywhere. I was stopped couple of weeks back and fined 1000 bucks and my license got taken away because I did not have the PUC with me. This is in West Bengal. My bad I forgot to to get a new PUC as my car had just completed a year. But my license getting forfeited implies they are still relying on physical documents.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2021 at 21:29. Reason: Typo
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks