Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2021, 08:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is PUC required on a brand new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Just take it. I don't take a chance if the cop there would know all the rules.
, I also do similarly, though cops are aware of 1 Year. In some places, they insist on 6 months. If you are travelling across the states, it's a good idea to get one.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 08:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Just spend the 100 bucks and get the 1 year PUC done. Why give the cops a chance to harass?

This is a topic where I believe common sense should take precedence over the allowance the rule can possibly provide.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 09:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A new car's PUC is valid for one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered (not manufactured, sold or driven out of a showroom). Thereafter, once in every six month's it has to be renewed. A PUC issued by any testing centre is valid throughout the country since these are now VAHAN linked.

The text quoted below is a reply by the Transport Minister in the Lok Sabha on 22.07.2021:-
Right, the PUC for a newly registered vehicle is valid for one year from date of registration.

However, for BSIV petrol vehicles, the PUC in Maharashtra is valid for one year from date of test. I have got it done for our Ford Ecosport & Honda Jazz.

I have yet to do the PUC for my BSVI diesel BMW, hope the PUC validity is one year
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Before heading out for a long drive in the new Honda City - one month old, I need to find out if a PUC will be required? What are the rules? I will be crossing into Karnataka and Goa from Maharashtra.
As per rule you do not need PUC for 1 year from date of purchase. But PUC costs ₹100(atleast in Chennai) and is hardly a 10 min job. Just get it done for peace of mind, additionally for vehicles registered post 2016(again not sure if this is only for TN) it is valid for 1 year.

₹100 vs ₹2000 challan, it is a no brainer.
Shanksta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post

₹100 vs ₹2000 challan, it is a no brainer.
Hahaha! It would be a comedy if it weren’t a tragedy.

The number of people advising me to get a PUC done for ‘safety’ sake tells a lot about the state of policing in our country. Or maybe it’s just our lack of faith in policing. Probably well earned too.

Anyway, I think the question has been correctly answered and I will get a PUC done anyway. Might even visit a religious deity just to ward off evil.
MadinMumbai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha! It would be a comedy if it weren’t a tragedy.

The number of people advising me to get a PUC done for ‘safety’ sake tells a lot about the state of policing in our country. Or maybe it’s just our lack of faith in policing. Probably well earned too.

Anyway, I think the question has been correctly answered and I will get a PUC done anyway. Might even visit a religious deity just to ward off evil.
So true...I'll be getting the PUC done for not even a month old motorcycle as I'll be crossing over to Delhi from UP. It is a hassle to argue with cops...if they are in the mood to collect Diwali chanda
OPMaurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 13:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand new vehicles : PUC valid for 1 year from date of purchase

Anything older than 1 year

BS3 and below : PUC (done externally) valid for 6 months
BS4 : PUC (done externally) valid for 12 months

If you check Parivahan site and vehicle details, validity should be available. Now a days, all PUC centres are linked to the central database and the PUC details will be updated in 24 hours. I just got my bike PUC renewed in the last 2 weeks.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th November 2021 at 13:20.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 14:23   #23
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Before heading out for a long drive in the new Honda City - one month old, I need to find out if a PUC will be required? What are the rules? I will be crossing into Karnataka and Goa from Maharashtra.
I believe new cars don't require PUC for 6 months. But always to be on the safer side, better to get PUC done as that is a legal requirement. The stock sticker doesn't mention validity & so may not be an accepted document. I suggest to get the PUC done especially when you are going on a long trip to other states. Saving Rs.100 & 10 minutes may not be worth.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 22:37   #24
BHPian

When a car is registered for first time, form 22A is submitted along with other documents, which states that it complies with pollution standards as per MVA. Legally no PUC is needed for one year but police being police may harass you despite that. It all depends on how you approach them. If you are soft courteous to them, address them as sir or bhaiya they will definitely ask for PUC. Approach them in a stern voice, without being rude, or question them even before stopping, they will never ask for PUC or any other documents. This works every time, I have never shown any documents to any policemen all these years.
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 07:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

When a car is dispatched from the factory, they issue Form 22 certifying compliance with pollution, component safety and road worthiness standards.

The original goes to the RTO as part of the document set for registration. Most dealers don't bother providing a copy, most customer don't ask for one.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 07:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
When a car is dispatched from the factory, they issue Form 22 certifying compliance with pollution, component safety and road worthiness standards.
As per my understanding, the clock starts ticking from date of test at factory, and not date of registration (registration may take months especially for specimens that get stuck at dealer yards).

Can anyone confirm ?

Is PUC required on a brand new car?-20211108_074639.jpg
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 10:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Got the delivery of my new car on Friday. When requested for Form 22/details of PUC, my SA advised me to get a PUC done immediately as cops do not care if it is a new car or an old one. So better to spend 100 bucks and get one done just for safety sake.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 00:22   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
As per my understanding, the clock starts ticking from date of test at factory, and not date of registration (registration may take months especially for specimens that get stuck at dealer yards).

Can anyone confirm ?
There seems to be no specific verbiage on that in the CMVR, but given road-worthiness on RTO record applies effective registration date, the same should extend to other parameters on form-22 as well.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Please see this image. If you have one like this, you're good to go, otherwise get in touch with dealer to obtain the same.
I don't see one like this in Renault Duster Turbo 1.3 CVT that I got as pre owned. Is that something to be worried about ?

But I've a separate PUC with me.

Does it differ from manufacturer to manufacturer ?
Ritz2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
I don't see one like this in Renault Duster Turbo 1.3 CVT that I got as pre owned. Is that something to be worried about?
We're talking about brand new vehicle out of showroom that gets one; pre-owned don't come with PUC nor dealers bother to take one including True Value

Quote:
But I've a separate PUC with me

Quote:
Does it differ from manufacturer to manufacturer ?
For brand new vehicle - No

You may want to check the validity of your PUC here - https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/puc/v...tificate.xhtml
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks