Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 09:32   #211
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

Assuming, the LWB is coming to India, I could collate the following from different sources/websites (Engine Spec is for Diesel):

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-screenshot-20220606-9.31.33-am.png
neel911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 13:00   #212
BHPian

re: 4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh

The Fiat 2.0 in the Harrier & even the Compass starts sounding rather gravelly (the compass a bit better though ) when pushed whereas the Hyundai's 2.0 is much more quieter. I feel this adds considerably to the premium experience and feeling of luxury in the Tucson and quite a few people who witness this appreciate the feeling, esp after spending that much. How's the XUV's 2.2 in comparison in terms of refinement ?
Vtach is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 20:24   #213
BHPian

Does anyone have confirmation on the length of the car. I see some discussions on the thread on a long wheel base version. I am starting to look out for a replacement for my ecosport (and in no hurry to replace) but I can't park anything beyond a 4500m car in my parking. Hence checking.
Old 7th June 2022, 21:10   #214
BHPian

All the info available in the public domain points to the lwb version, which means it would be around 4.6m
SinghShu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 17:35   #215
R_R
BHPian

I am skeptical of various auto news reports about the new Tucson carrying the old engines. Globally, AFAIK, the new Tucson uses 'Smartstream' engine models (both petrol and diesel). None of the new model Tucsons sold anywhere in the world appear to be using the pre-Smartstream engines. The Smartstream model engines are new, being introduced only in 2018. I would assume if the new Tucson is being mated with the old engines, that would present a few headaches for Hyundai. I don't see why Hyundai would go down this path considering they can't expect to sell the Tucson in the thousands every year. Of course, remember that the news reports were wrong about the 7-seater Tucson too!

So, I expect that Hyundai would bring in the Tucson with the existing engines sold elsewhere. They have a number of choices in the Smartstream series, including 2.0L petrol and diesel engines. I just hope they also bring in their hybrid variants, and particularly, a petrol or hybrid with AWD, instead of combining the AWD only with diesel.
R_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:45   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
I expect that Hyundai would bring in the Tucson with the existing engines sold elsewhere. They have a number of choices in the Smartstream series, including 2.0L petrol and diesel engines.
I think you’re right. I remember reading somewhere that the Diesel engine of the new Tucson to be launched in India would produce 417 Nm of torque. I found this on overdrive’s site (link)

Name:  9BFC6930C3404ADDBD48A85BABB548F5.jpeg
Views: 459
Size:  161.7 KB

The old 2.0L R II diesel tops off at 402 Nm of torque, so that can’t be (assuming reports of 417 Nm are accurate) the engine in the new Tucson:
Name:  91C5645DEBFE466AB91ADA57CE2C7500.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  184.7 KB

The new Smartstream 2.0L diesel tops off at 417 Nm of torque, matching what is expected in the new Tucson in India.
Name:  102C00D1A56B44F8B807D67CB2451865.jpeg
Views: 455
Size:  114.2 KB

Another thing pointing to new engines would be the fact that it would be easier to make them comply with any new emission norms that could be introduced during this car’s life cycle.
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 22:08   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
So, I expect that Hyundai would bring in the Tucson with the existing engines sold elsewhere. They have a number of choices in the Smartstream series, including 2.0L petrol and diesel engines. I just hope they also bring in their hybrid variants, and particularly, a petrol or hybrid with AWD, instead of combining the AWD only with diesel.
Till the time we have diesel powertrains on the same vehicle platform, I believe our market will not get Gasoline AWD. Except a very few enthusiasts, Gasoline AWDs will be selling in very few numbers. Hyundai is not serious about the D1 segment - they will continue to offer Tucson as CKD. For example, Imagine the mileage on XUV700 gasoline variant with an added ~100kgs and it could be in the ballpark 5KMPL. Probably, one easy give away supporting my hypothesis is that we don't hear anything on Kia Sportage.

My only wish list is now to expect a hybrid and I also have a doubt it will be priced very premium.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2022 at 22:37. Reason: Spacing.
atluri_rkc is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 00:00   #218
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
Except a very few enthusiasts, Gasoline AWDs will be selling in very few numbers.
. . . .
My only wish list is now to expect a hybrid and I also have a doubt it will be priced very premium.
The only problem is that for those in the NCR, and possibly before long in other parts of the country, the 10 year rule means the diesel is an expensive proposition. For me, it's probably completely unviable, given the cost of the car. However, I agree with you, manufacturers don't seem to think of petrol versions with AWD when looking at India. Looks like even the new Scorpio-N will get AWD only in the diesel version, though the Thar has petrol+AWD . So, we may stuck with VW Tiguan as the only petrol+AWD option, unfortunately (because of it's reliability issues, though otherwise it seems a great car).
Old 12th June 2022, 11:35   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

New Hyundai Tucson test mule spotted undergoing final tests.

Sneak peek inside the cabin, the interior would most likely be the same as the international model with minor changes.

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220612_113442.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220612_113437.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220612_113439.jpg

4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-20220612_113445.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th June 2022 at 11:38.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 12:33   #220
BHPian

It looks like the ADAS radar module is still pretty much there. It’ll be interesting to understand at launch why a car as pricey as this is undergoing such extensive testing. Such testing usually points to India-specific mods to the underpinnings of a car. Which also may mean some degree of localization and not just a pure CKD.
Old 12th June 2022, 21:04   #221
Senior - BHPian

I hope Hyundai isn’t trying to squeeze a 3rd row of seats in this so called long wheel base version of the Tucson.

Ideally this should be a spacious 5 seater which should pitch itself against the Jeep Compass and hope that customers prefer the Tucson over the compass simply due to the higher space on offer.

But if Hyundai wants to sort of try and take on the XUV700 and the many more 7 seaters in the 25-35 lakh segment, then surely the Tucson is not the right car for this purpose.

I would think many of the XUV700 AX7 buyers may hop on to the Tucson if they don’t need the extra 2 seats and if the Tucson is within the 30-32 lakh on road price.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:04   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Ideally this should be a spacious 5 seater which should pitch itself against the Jeep Compass and hope that customers prefer the Tucson over the compass simply due to the higher space on offer.

But if Hyundai wants to sort of try and take on the XUV700 and the many more 7 seaters in the 25-35 lakh segment, then surely the Tucson is not the right car for this purpose.
I think it's the perfect car for the purpose. Nothing stops them from selling a 5 seater petrol and a 7 seater diesel like Honda did with the CR-V! They will have intense flexibility of placement and pricing in this way, with better localization and a much stronger dealer network. It will be a solid win-win for all.

Still, even if they decide to keep it as a 7 seater only preposition, they can still disrupt this segment with the right pricing.
reppy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:38   #223
BHPian

I think this will do well regardless. Seltos/Creta have dominated the sub 20-lac segment and many who want to go a segment higher don't have much options. The current Tucson itself is a great car except for the dated interiors. And having used the 1st gen Santa Fe for 9 years i know how fun these diesel engines are. I can easily say this will be much better car overall than an XUV700 or Compass. I might even replace my Octavia with this and go all SUVs (other is the prev. gen Kodiaq).

Last edited by AnandB : 13th June 2022 at 12:39.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 16:06   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Had the privilege (?) of spotting one in person while abroad. Definitely an acquired taste with those weird LED DRLs. .

Kitna-deti-hai Indians are will love it though; they won't need the headlights because that wall of DRLs will be enough. However, traditional Hyundai buyers will be shocked with the avant-garde appearance.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:51   #225
BHPian

Hi,
In our recent trip to Iceland we rented a new gen Hyundai Tucson 2022 Diesel A/T. Drove it for 2800 kms in 11 days on various different terrains from highways to gravel mountain roads. IMHO the car is very basic in terms of drive does not possess anything extraordinary feels just like a bigger Creta or an Alcazar. The worst part was the luggage space in the boot, our two big check-in bags could not fit we had to adjust the second row only then we were able to fit it in. The only positive thing i can say is the seats are very comfortable and the interior is up to date compared to other cars in this segment.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-Gen Hyundai Tucson spotted testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27.70 lakh-img_9198.jpg  

vap2151 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks