Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 18:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

No inspection of new vehicles for first-time registration, says Bangalore RTO

Quote:
This comes after changes to Motor Vehicles Act, 1988

In the wake of amendments to rules of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, the Transport Department has said that there is no need for physical inspection of new vehicles for a first-time registration.

In a press release, the department has said that a system has been brought in to register fully built vehicles purchased through authorised dealers without taking new vehicles to the RTOs and being inspected by the vehicle inspectors.

The release states that dealers can file an online application on Vahan-4 portal and pay applicable fee and taxes to the RTOs concerned.

After receiving the applications online, the officials concerned give approval for registration and the registration number gets allotted online itself.
Source

I checked the Vahan website but cannot see the option to register a new vehicle for KA-03 (Maybe there is a separate login for dealers?). If this news is true (and already implemented), it could mean we could negotiate with dealers to waive off "RTO Fees" and other such nonsense they charge claiming it is to bribe the RTO officials.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 26th October 2021 at 18:34.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 19:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: No inspection of new vehicles for first-time registration, says Bangalore RTO

Makes perfect sense actually. If this is true, all RTOs should follow. If there are any faults, the company/dealer should be held accountable. I don't see any reason how a chassis no. can be different than stated in the bill. Multiple sources check it and it ought to be error free. After all, you get insurance based on that as the vehicle is not even registered by then.
Old 26th October 2021, 19:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: No inspection of new vehicles for first-time registration, says Bangalore RTO

Good move towards creating a bribeless RTO. I wish they would continue this and extend to allow online registration by customers themselves after producing sales invoice directly without taking the vehicle to RTO.(Not sure if this is really feasible) This will prevent

1. Dealers from asking "PROCESSING FEE" in the name of bribe without bills and exploiting car owners.

2. Dealers from running the car for 100s of kms prior to delivery in the name of RTO Visit and cheating customers. At least customers can demand 100% new car.

3. Last but not least, customers can ask for acknowledgement id and get to know the status of registration immediately after payment. This will help customers from waiting in dark with out car on hand after payment

Last edited by gkveda : 26th October 2021 at 19:44.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 19:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move. A brand new vehicle is by default in factory condition, and no checks are actually necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
1. Dealers from asking "PROCESSING FEE" in the name of bribe without bills and exploiting car owners.

2. Dealers from running the car for 100s of kms prior to delivery in the name of RTO Visit and cheating customers. At least customers can demand 100% new car.
Dealers are not going to give up anything that can get them a few more rupees.

Also, a brand new car cant happen, since the cars are driven at least from the dealer's yard to showroom. Most dealers have their yards out side city limits. And in case of vehicles like Force Cruiser, Force Traveller - these are driven down from the factory to the respective city. Not that this category of customers will complain. Their running in is done most of the time, and they get one oil change before delivery.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:20   #5
BHPian

Can dealers fit the HSRP?
Old 27th October 2021, 10:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

We've already seen what happens with existing approach. My only concern being corrupt dealers registering ghost vehicles while still extorting customers under the blanket of RTO corruption.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 23:33   #7
BHPian

This process still needs approval of the RTO officer.

We all know that they are busy and they do us a favour by approving applications and naturally we need to reciprocate the favour, right?

As long as a Government official has a say in approving applications, things don't move easily.

One of my business involves online government applications and I have seen how these systems work.
KA18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am little confused here. I got delivery of brand new Creta and the car never went out of dealer's storage area for RTO. Dealer mentioned that cars need not go to RTO physically and they only need imprint of the vehical chassis/engine number to share with the RTO. I checked the car km reading and it indeed never went out of the Showroom ( it was at 6km at PDI and at the time of final delivery to me). So not sure what this news about not needing physical inspection for new car. Does it depend on dealer/RTO/state?
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:03   #9
BHPian

I think this is a good move to eliminate "RTO Processing Fees" charged by dealers and will be a blow to all RTO agents.

Having said that, the stealerships will come up with more innovative ideas to make money. Even before this rule RTO officials never checked/verified chasis number in my cars or bikes. They just sit on their chair under the tent and ask the agent to shout out the chasis number for "verification". Never had I seen an official physically verifying chasis or engine number on any vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks