Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 07:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Flex fuels: Should I cancel buying a petrol car now?

Latest update from Shri Gadkari ji:

“Petrol cost is very high compared to ethanol. It is time for the country to accept the new technology because it is less polluting than even electric because we are making electricity from coal.”

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/87473899.cms
Old 3rd November 2021, 17:51   #17
BHPian

Do go and test drive all the three good EVs in the market today. You might like them just for the sheer acceleration. For most people, who go out on long distances once or twice an year, EVs are fine. Either plan for a longer travel time or hire a taxi.

Unfortunately, I travel 600+ kms every other week. Just travelled 400kms in 5 hours today. So EV as the primary car has been ruled out for me. And they are too expensive now as a secondary car.

But don't worry about flex fuels. The govt keeps changing its goal posts and buzz words frequently. We'll go mad if we believe everything that they say. There are tonnes of petrol cars on the road today and the govt won't ignore that and switch to flex fuel in a dime. If they do, be assured that almost everyone in this forum w

Go with what your heart wants. MG astor and XUV 700 are really good ICE cars today.
Kumaran93R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 14:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
Ever changing policies, rising fuel prices and uncertainty:

https://www.thehindu.com/business/Ec...le37103252.ece
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/87193346.cms

I had booked a MG Astor yesterday but this news about introduction of flex fuels is making me feel jittery about going ahead with it. Should I cancel buying a petrol car now and instead wait to buy an EV after a year?
Another, may be pertinent, line of thought could be, "Can normal petrol (diesel, too?) passenger vehicles be converted to flex fuel ones, and of so, what would be ideal conditions, if any?"

In some blogs, the question of convertibility of petrol vehicles to flex fuel ones were discussed. However, a well-rounded discussion or debate here can add a lot of value.

Some components that can withstand petrol but not ethanol need to be changed with minimal cost or changes of a petrol vehicle, as they say.

A separate or reprogrammed Electronic Control Unit is needed to control the flow of the fuel.

However, neither the authorities nor car companies have come up to resolve the dilemma. In the meantime CNG vehicles are being opted in large numbers.

However, CNG passenger vehicles also add a significant deadweight to a petrol vehicles, which may not be designed for it. This applies to OEM CNG vehicles since we see no difference in their springs or other structural components.

If one opts for a vehicle with suitable structural elements (to be defined), and it has CNG, either OEM or aftermarket, and if flex fuel conversion is possible with little disruption, then probably it could give an indicator to the resolution of the question asked.

Lastly, can turbo petrol and CNG coexist?
Old 24th December 2021, 22:49   #19
BHPian

Guys, a question.

I was contemplating replacing my diesel Ciaz with BS6 XL6, and question is, will it be compatible and run on Flex/Ethanol ?
I don't want a situation like today when I am forced to replace my excellent condition Ciaz just because of 10 year NCR rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks