Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 11:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: What if? An exercise in alternate automotive history of India

What if?
Q: Team-BHP was not there?

A: No other Print or Online media (working for ad revenue) would have published honest unbiased reviews and short-term/long-term ownership reviews like ours. Today all manufactures keep an eye on Team-BHP and try to work on feedback and resolve issues.
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:49   #32
Ice
BHPian

Mine (a personal grouse)
What if Fiat had marketed and serviced the Uno better?
Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Here goes:

What if...city planners in the 70s understood that with our population density in cities and narrow roads, what we needed was a Metro system with autos and buses that ran as they were supposed to?

What if...our cities were designed for people instead of cars and parking? What if you could really walk or cycle to access amenities closer to you and could take public transport for anything further?
Kolkata

The only city with public transport to fit the requirements of our population density, and the planning was in the 70s alright, but in the previous century. It is our laziness that we stretched that Victorian plan with 100x population until the infrastructure crumbled.

It is the only metro where you can still do away without a private car. The shared autos network is something to be seen to believe, connecting metro/ bus/ railway stations for that last km.

What if City expansions have been diligent?

Take Bengaluru for example. When they moved airport to extreme north, the natural effect would have been to consolidate new construction in that corridor. They should also have created a suburban train line (not necessarily metro, as former is cheaper), from EC to airport. But what happened is unabated construction even in the city, choking ORR and shrinking Bellandur lake, among others.
mayukh42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 12:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Here goes:

What if...city planners in the 70s understood that with our population density in cities and narrow roads, what we needed was a Metro system with autos and buses that ran as they were supposed to?

We'd have very different looking cities and fitter people for sure!

Agree in principle, but not necessarily that Metros work for Indian conditions.

What if municipalities set up a network of mini buses and vans that can easily navigate the narrow roads and lanes of our cities and towns, instead of the Tata and Leyland behemoths that clog up the roads and can barely make turns without killing a couple of people in the process.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 13:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant thread
This has the possibility of going on for infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- What if super aggressive & dynamic Daewoo HQ in Korea hadn't gone bankrupt?
- What if Mahindra wouldn't have divorced Ford?
- What if Team-BHP wasn't created in 2004.
You beat me for the first two and the 3rd is gold

- What if TML and MSIL merged into one? Nexon with K15B or Altroz Turbo with 1.4 Boosterjet and without issues ?
- What if the Hero Honda CD100 was never launched ?
- What if the two strokes cleared emission norms and were still around ?
- What if the Kushaq never had the EPC issue ?
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:01   #36
BHPian

What if the DSG never had any issue?

What if there were no Skoda service woes?

What if all Marutis were 5 star NCAP rated?

What if the Activa was never born?

What if the CB500x was around 5L?
Ans : I would have had it in my parking now.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:08   #37
BHPian

What If:

1: Wheel was never invented!!
2: "Thomas Savery", Étienne Lenoir", "Samuel Brown", "Nikolaus August Otto", "Karl Benz" were never born.

saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 14:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

What if Global NCAP had not launched #SaferCarsForIndia back in 2014?
Would the Government have been so quick in implementing crash test regulations (front and side impact, pedestrian protection (for pedestrian protection we have better regulation than the USA does presently)) and safety equipment (seatbelt reminders, speed warning) mandates? Would some manufacturers have committed to making safer cars voluntarily? Would we still have assumed that cars sold in India that look identical to their foreign counterparts and are sold with similar equipment, offer the same level of occupant protection? Would we still be using the 'door thunk' or the flex in the bodywork as an indicator of crashworthiness of the vehicle structure?

I, for one, think I would. There are some cars which I would never have assumed to perform like they did, had Global NCAP not tested them. I'm quite sure I would have assumed all generations of, for example (I don't mean to target one manufacturer) the Indian Hyundai i20 to be five star EuroNCAP-worthy for adult occupant protection in their six-airbag variants, at least till they introduced AEB and LSS in testing. For some time I was misled by media, consumer comments and conspiracy theories. But on inspecting assessment protocol closely after the controversy last year I figured that the tests are trustworthy, at least in my opinion. I've come to realise that the field of crash testing is actually quite interesting, even neglecting the consumer information side of it, and it's much more technical than we make it out to be. Most of it is objective and based on well-defined standards (except some score modifiers which are intended to make corrections for real world scenarios).

There is, of course, a chance that the Government would have introduced crash regulations on schedule but I can't help but think that Global NCAP played a huge role in catalysing it. I wonder if we would still still have cars with no airbags and collapsing structures if not for regulation and consumer awareness.

I hope we'll have a full-fledged Bharat NCAP soon so that we can see many more cars being tested, and so that we don't have to rely on a foreign NGO for crash test ratings - hopefully that will also imply that more manufacturers will take NCAP testing seriously.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2021 at 06:36. Reason: Extra word deleted
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:56   #39
BHPian

What if Sipani (erstwhile Sunrise) were able to get get better quality and commercial success with their Badal, Dolphin, Montana and D1?

What if Standard Motors could have actually seen success with the Standard 2000 and not get stuck in issues and wound down?

What if Hindustan Motors were actually able to reinvent themselves post Contessa and continue to stay relevant or even grow?

What if any automotive major in India formally inducted the "Jugaad" as part of their line up and started delivering reliable and quality contraptions?
NowNew7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:00   #40
BHPian

Amazing thread!

1. What if, Tata and JTP had never broken up, we could’ve seen Altroz JTP.
2. If, Mahindra & Ford JV had gone through successfully.
3. What if, GM and Ford had their house in order and were still in the market with new products.
4. What if, VAG introduced the new Polo and Fabia in the segment with their brilliant 1.0l TSI, i20 would’ve been in serious trouble.
5. What if, import duties and taxes were much lower for the new automakers trying to enter our market, wish we had Subaru and Mazda here.

Endless what if’s can be put in this thread.
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:33   #41
BHPian

It's quite one thing to imagine what if xyz did or didn't happen but another to predict what would have happened. History simply doesn't work that way. except...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Few What Ifs -
5. Finally, what if..we never had TEAM-BHP?
I would be a heck of a lot more productive at work and remember important stuff like my blood group instead of the different types of gearboxes.
Iyencar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:35   #42
BHPian

What if, we don't have the Sub 4-meter rule?
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 17:48   #43
BHPian

What if.....Hero and EBR hadn't parted ways, and had launched the HX 250R?
What if they hadn't shelved their ZiR maxi-scooter and their 620cc something Hastur? That was a proper big bike, coming from Hero.

I really wish that the HX 250R sees the daylight. Or atleast something based on it with all the new ABS and FI tech. With a minor design revision too.
saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post

What If, Autobahn was in India
With our country's current driving culture?
Final Destination II opening scene could be shot there. (Any day, without VFX)
SYAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 20:30   #45
BHPian

Here's my 2 cents worth.

What if they were able to adapt the 2 stroke engines to the latest emission norms?
We would still have the rx100!
As well as the Bajaj Chetak

What if mobiles were not invented?
we would have fewer deaths on road due to distracted mobile users....

Last edited by Ravi Parwan : 8th October 2021 at 20:31. Reason: change in point

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks