Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here

My Friend's Baleno - when he spotted a Dost:

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-4646.png
condor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 14:27   #77
BHPian

So, I was returning from the KIA service center after the first checkup. I had the number plates installed in the car and it ends with 8950.
On my way home, in Salt Lake, Kolkata, I saw another car in one of the signals, with the same number - ending with 8950, a different series though.

Below is unrelated to cars so a little offtopic.

It was 2010 and I had moved to Bangalore for my job. I was hunting for a sim card. The number that had caught my eye was ending with my employee id, 5840. I had to choose that!
Old 20th September 2021, 14:29   #78
BHPian

Love all the responses on this thread! As car enthusiasts, we do come across a fair share of automotive coincidences from time to time. Here are some of the many coincidences I've come across. Mind you, these are not from India, even though I've come across many in Mumbai which I'll share in due course of time.

Here I came across a trio of impeccably maintained W126s, a 380SEL, 500SEL, and the 560SEL. Didn't expect to see them all at once and I felt like I was back in the 80s.
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210113_181157.jpg

If you want to indulge in proper car spotting in Muscat, Shatti Beach is your place to be. During winters you see some truly beautiful rides. Like in this particular instance, here we have a trio of 911s captured in the same moment. The red one is the 997 GTS, the middle one is the 997 Carrera and the red one in the background is the 991 GT3.
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210130_171146.jpg

The Mazda MX-5 is a very rare car here, even though the newer one is on sale. So it's always exciting to come across them. The green one is imported from Louisiana btw.
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210211_161542.jpg

The E39 5-series is an icon, and they are still common here. What is interesting about this pair is that they are from the same model year, they are in the same colour- Glacier Green Metallic, they are also the same spec (528i) and they are also the same GCC-spec. My understanding is that they are owned by the same person or their family.

Either way, really well-maintained examples.
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210304_154636.jpg

Who doesn't love a Foxbody? I know I certainly do. This is why I was excited to come across these two USDM examples. They are owned by the same person apparently.
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210331_162202.jpg

And finally, the W168 A-Class. I have a spot soft for these so it always makes me happy to find them on the road. And even though they were sold officially back in the day, they have virtually disappeared from the roads :(

At least here I found two examples, undergoing repair work for months. The grey one is a GCC spec while the red one was purchased from Autohaus Royal, a dealer in Berlin.
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210913_165306.jpg

Last edited by toyotaguy18 : 20th September 2021 at 14:40.
toyotaguy18 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:01   #79
BHPian

Both are my W124s and they are consecutive numbers 5064 and 5065, yes! Both are registered in the same series BJ and from the same RTO .

The blue is a E220 petrol manual and the white is a E250 diesel manual.

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-w124_blue_white.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 20th September 2021 at 17:56. Reason: Typos, grammar. Picture inseted in-line.
.HEM is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:31   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy18 View Post

If you want to indulge in proper car spotting in Muscat, Shatti Beach is your place to be. During winters you see some truly beautiful rides. Like in this particular instance, here we have a trio of 911s captured in the same moment. The red one is the 997 GTS, the middle one is the 997 Carrera and the red one in the background is the 991 GT3.
Totally agree and miss seeing the phenomenal rides out in groups. I used to work close by there and weekend rides to see the display was a regular feature. The only time of the week I would not mind being in slow traffic

I, unfortunately, do not have relevant photographs for this thread.
Old 20th September 2021, 15:46   #81
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
During which, he inserts his key into the ignition console of my RX100. Voila - the ignition accepts it and it turns !
Something similar happened to me. I had requested my lecturer to lend his bike so that I can go to nearby lab and bring a report. He gave me his Hero Honda CD100 key. I happily took the bike went for ride and came back in few minutes, parked the bike in empty space next to another CD100 which was actually his. One key works for many CD100 it seems.

Last edited by KPR : 20th September 2021 at 15:51.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:04   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
Found his twin brother after 7 years
(Car bought in 2009, this pic clicked in 2016, very close to my home)
Hello @streetfighter, By any chance did you live in Kharegaon, Thane sometime in the past? I am asking because a Blue Fiesta 1.6 S was always used to be parked near my apartment few years ago and I could not take my eyes off her while passing by. I don't remember the registration number fully but it was somewhat similar to yours (It was MH 04 D* for sure). If it was indeed yours, then we have another coincidence here
Old 20th September 2021, 16:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Man, I just remembered the mother of all coincidences! So my best bud had a Yamaha RX100 circa 1994. Rode his bike, got tempted and I decided to get one a year later in 1995. We go to pick up my RX100 on his RX100 to Bombay Cycle & Motor, Opera House. We see my shiny new bike parked at the front, ready for delivery. While I am signing the paperwork, he is sitting on my RX100 and fiddling around. During which, he inserts his key into the ignition console of my RX100. Voila - the ignition accepts it and it turns !

For a moment there, we thought it was a faulty console. But then we look at the keys of our respective motorcycles and guess what, both of them read the serial number 5016 . What are the odds of two best friends ending up with the same key for their bikes?

Till date, if we end up doing something similar, we mutter "5016" to each other.
You may not believe me but if you go to this link and check out posts 282 to 290 you'll see that I had the exact same issue seven years ago.
Cheers

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3509421 (Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - 100,000 kms update at 14th Service)
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 20:33   #84
BHPian

Talking about coincidences, we had relocated to Bangalore in May 2013 and realised the need for a car. My wife and me always had a soft corner for the Honda City, just loved its looks and stance (except the low GC :( ) and ended up booking one.
The delivery was taken on the 31st Of July.

A couple of days later i called a very close cousin i grew up together with, who coincidentally (unknown to us) had also booked a Honda City and took delivery on the same day as us, in Bangalore.
He was as surprised about the conjucture.

Both of us had never discussed buying a car, leave alone the looks of the City.
Whats interesting is that we both booked it from Magnum Honda , but different branches

We still keep calling it telepathy and laugh about it.
arepalli99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 15:19   #85
BHPian

There were 5 cars parked at the hospital, including mine. All different shades of red. And red isn't even a common colour. What are the odds?
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img20210914104958.jpg  

Last edited by evil_grin : 21st September 2021 at 15:21.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:27   #86
BHPian

Now it's my turn to contribute . I am at the service center waiting to take delivery of my car after a scheduled service. And look what I have managed to find!

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210921_162354.jpg

The one in white is mine!
Emvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:18   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For a moment there, we thought it was a faulty console. But then we look at the keys of our respective motorcycles and guess what, both of them read the serial number 5016 . What are the odds of two best friends ending up with the same key for their bikes?
Me and a school mate happened to have the same serial number on the keys for our respective TVS Scootys and we could unlock either of our rides. My Scooty was bought in AP and his was bought in TN. What are the odds of these two ending up in the same school?

I wonder if these things happened when computers were not involved to eliminate duplication?

P.S: The HH Splendor was at a different level though. They keys were so interchangeable that once a friend drove someone else's Splendor from the parking lot and realized it only after reaching the office.
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:19   #88
Senior - BHPian

Warning : A long post.

Gypsy has always been a dream car for me since my teenage days. It only stayed as a dream for various reasons till 2021. The last I came close to buying one was in 2019 or so but then it didn't materialise either. While I was visiting Wayanad in Kerala in the latter half of 2019, I happened to see a modified soft top White Gypsy. It looked in pristine condition and had a lovely sports exhaust. The way it moved, it was such an enthralling sight. I literally drooled over it for some time. The next day I was trailing the very same Gypsy in my Omni. And for a moment I felt it was bearing a similar registration number as my friend's Gypsy in Wayanad itself and I overtook the car and made them stop and asked the guy behind the wheels if it was X's car to which he replied NO and I said sorry indicating I mistook the car and moved on. In fact that White Gypsy reignited my desire to own a Gypsy soon.

Fast forward to 2021 Jan and I finally bought a harvest green hard top Gypsy from a fellow bhpian right on my birthday and a long pending dream has been fulfilled and my Gypsy life took wings. Before zeroing in on this green one, I had hunted for Gypsies in Wayanad too. Our D Bhpian Dhanushs(he hails from Wayanad) had suggested few Gypsies there and I couldn't travel there owing to travel restrictions across border. I've never met him in person and interacted only over chats and calls. Days and months passed and during a casual whats app chat with him he happened to share pictures of his Gypsy and guess what it's the very same White Gypsy which I saw that day in Wayanad that sort of reignited my dreams. And then it dawned upon me that it was Dhanush who was behind the wheels of that Gypsy on that day when I mistook it for my friend's car and he vaguely remembered the instance of a guy in Omni stopping him.

Hold on! For those who now think this is the coincidence I'm narrating, the story doesn't end here

i've been planning to convert my green Gypsy to a soft top and also install AC and power steering too, but the pandemic wave 2 and multiple lockdowns in Bangalore played spoilsport. Again fast forward to September 2021, another casual chat with Dhanush and he tells me his Gypsy is up for sale. It had AC, PS, Iron man suspension, soft top and many other off road equipments I was planning on my green Gypsy. I wasted no time and literally zoomed off to Wayanad from Bangalore the very next day morning despite all travel restrictions. We had sort of agreed on the price the previous night itself if I end up liking the car after test driving it. I went there and Dhanush was under the weather and couldn't meet him hence. His friend handed over the Gypsy and I used it for a day - took it to my farm there and few other known routes, got convinced with the car and decided to buy and the deal was done. All this without even paying a single penny as advance. How about that for trust between team bhpians. Not just that, I couldn't transfer the funds even after formally taking possession of the car owing to amount capping in my bank ac for new payees. The funds were transferred only late in the day by alternate means. I take this opportunity to immensely thank Dhanush for letting me test the car for a day and also for parting with his prized possession which his friends later termed it as his second wife.

Now I'm the proud owner of the very same Gypsy that captivated me at first sight and reignited the Gypsy love and it's parked down in my garage now. Wasn't that a worthy coincidence? Yes I'm yet to meet Dhanush in person. Today I'm the proud owner of two gypsies, albeit temporarily. And yes I would part with my green Gypsy as soon as I find a worthy Gypsy enthusiast.

Now don't roast me for dawdling. There's another coincidence too, again with Gypsy. After having used the green Gypsy for 8 months or so, I realised if there ever needs an upgrade job for Gypsy it has to be with it's suspension since the ride quality is spine breaking. I learned that Iron man and OME are the two options. Stumbled upon bhpian cool_dube(Rahul) post as well about him installing ARB' s Old Man EMU suspension on his now sold relatively new Gypsy and had strongly recommended OME over Iron Man and my mind was moving towards it too. I pinged him and had a chat and he kindly provides the present owner's number and puts in a reference so that I can meet him and test drive the Gypsy with it's OME suspension. I rang up the guy only to know that he's upgrading the suspension to Iron Man and the car is slated to go to the garage the very next day for the work and he's looking to sell the OME(used only for 5k kms or so). Do I need to say I jumped in and struck the deal(a win:win one) then and there and went to the garage and got it fitted in my green Gypsy . That's another Gypsy coincidence. Incidentally, it's Rahul again who gave me the contact number of my green Gypsy's ex owner(a bhpian too) after which I struck the deal and bought it. Rahul says I strike gold whenever I reach out to him. Thanks cool_dube, you're indeed cool!

Now please don't curse me for the long story. If you've read this far, thank you for reading.

Few pictures of my rides below.
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_163107.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_162954.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_162721.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_162639.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_165808.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_165444.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_165025.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_165005.jpg  

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-20210922_170116.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 22nd September 2021 at 17:42.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:07   #89
BHPian

A phenomena so rare that the chances of it happening in India, during its existence, would create shock waves (my jaw did drop in amusement) and if it happens in this day, would be stuff of legends!

This was back in 2016 and absolutely coincidental.

Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-a16d55bcc5f548ff83cf71a2cd11d749.jpeg
Porschefire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:55   #90
BHPian

We had a Swift Dzire (MH 01 AV 9816) which we sold in 2018, when we got the Compass. While we were on the way back home after dropping the car at the used car shop, we happened to spot another Swift Dzire (MH 01 AV 9815). Small incident, but still remember it

Another memory I have is when we bought the Toyota Corolla Altis in 2009. On the day of delivery, I counted exactly 11 Altis cars in line of the same colour: 'Champagne' ready for delivery. All of them, barring one had successive registration numbers which made it even more special. The showroom clicked a photo of all families posing with their cars! Will post the photo if I manage to find it. Truly memorable
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive coincidences in India | Share yours here-img_20210923_015058.jpg  

IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks