Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 11:53   #61
One
BHPian

Re: Tata mocks Maruti-Suzuki yet again on the Swift's 0-star Latin NCAP test

The auto industry is competitive, cut throat, challenging...

The market decides the winners anyways, let's enjoy the ad for what it is, bit of banter, hope there is a killer response back via ads (better than what they have given).

Looking at some comments here -
Why so serious...

To more ads like this, more smiles all around
One is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:55   #62
BHPian

Well.... I like to think of this "pulling each others' legs" as a good sign. Both sides should take this up as a challenge and the customers should thank both for highlighting what can be improved.

As someone mentioned - Maruti should talk about how their service network outnumbers local cycle shops..... well almost. [One does not have to send Hanuman to the hills to find one.]

And Tata can surely talk about how it is absolutely safe to sneeze while standing in front of any Tata car.

Remember the Coke vs Pepsi ads back in the 80s... nothing below the belt, just good spirited competition. Way to go.
CLIX is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 12:03   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
This is a slap on the face for Maruti. Worse still is the comparison to Tiago. That car is at a lower segment than Swift.
No, Tiago competes with Swift and other cheaper Marutis along with grand i10, even the price band is quite similar. It’s just that Maruti has so many cheap cars so we don’t really realize which segment they belong to.

Maruti has Baleno which is a segment higher but not Swift.
turbowhistle is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 12:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

I have grown up enjoying the Red Vs Blue wars of back then, they are legendary. That’s when you really realise what passion to the job meant. And both Pepsi and Coke were sporty and the Advt wars were enjoyable.

When I look at the comments here, I’m wondering where we lost the art of appreciating a good banter.

What will be interesting is if Maruti can come up with an equally cheesy response.

Till then, good one Tata.

Edit: just saw that Clix alluded to the same. I think the refresh of the page in my phone was out of sync. Thank you Clix.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 31st August 2021 at 12:13.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 12:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

I’m just thinking, how is Maruti Suzuki just ignoring the prime importance of safety at this age? They’re being mocked continuously on this forum and by competition for the poor safety equipped products they’ve on offer. Being a maruti Suzuki customer myself, I don’t think I’ll ever go for any of their offerings in future if I ever plan to upgrade from Brezza.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 13:03   #66
BHPian

Well done TATA. I have serious doubts that Maruti will ever come out of its "Cheaper Cars" tagline, with customers focusing on better engines / transmission, gizmos and ofcourse safety, most of their car models feels outdated as compared to options available in the market today.

Bought Brezza only after it scored 4 star rating and I don't foresee buying a Maruti car again unless they really move up the ladder.
Ashdel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 13:52   #67
BHPian

Kudos to the creativity. Nothing wrong with a few digs, it's a lesson in marketing.

Maruti won't make safer cars unless the sales dip or stricter rules are put in place (who are we kidding?). Talk to aam junta (friends, family members) and you will be shunned away from any brand other than Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota and Kia. Safety kya hota hai? Upar wala hai na :-D

Tata has to improve in terms of engine refinement, and most importantly the after sales. Not impressed by their engines, especially in Tiago and Altroz.

A solid motor would make it a lucrative option, but that's just the enthusiast in me talking.
Old 31st August 2021, 13:56   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
While I won't deny Tiago might be safer, I wonder whether the Tiago will score over 1 star in the Latin NCAP considering how strict it has become.

As for the Tata marketing team- they made hay while the sun was shining.

Wouldn't blame Maruti either. They're just building what our people demand-after all most of our countrymen prefer mileage to safety- cause they believe they can never be involved in an accident.
The results are out. It is a 4 starrer from GNCAP. I totally agree with your comments. We need to come out of the resale value/mileage shit and care about the lives of self and family members/passengers.
hari.rajanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 14:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Tata roasts at Maruti Swift after their recent Latin NCAP crash test rating

Attachment 2199899

The caption makes you go Uff!
Unfortunately this ad to me makes Tata lose face more than anything else.

Firstly objectively, the Swift has 2 stars in the GNCAP conducted with a Swift made for India. What happens with the Latin NCAP is upto the standards that are prevalent in that region.

Secondly, these kinds of ads are mostly associated with a company that cannot win fair and square. Tata should look at why a huge population of buyer still would not touch it's cars with a long pole even and fix that fundamental issue. Frankly Tata Motors is not VW Group who can afford to do 1.0, 2.0 and most probably 3.0.

Thirdly and most importantly for a company that builds it's brand on JRD and storied Tatas, they need to pause and think - is this what JRD would advice.

When a company starts going back on it's core values they better have good backup.

As an owner of a Maruti car I am still proud of it. epithets like "tincan" etc, lack of objectivity in criticisms of safety etc are there but I still see Maruti for what it is achieved and what it continues to achieve and that is enabling the dreams of millions of Indians who want an affordable, reliable car with excellent service and affordable operating costs. Coupled with decent dynamics. When Tata and even VW starts achieving that in India let's have a discussion. Till then GNCAP can crash test to their hearts content.

Look at it. All the manufacturers who are highlighting safety have fundamental weakness in their respective ownership experiences. At the end of the day building a safe car is no biggie. But building it and at the same time ensuring completeness in the rest of the ownership experience is what takes the cake. And that is where Maruti and Toyota have hit the ball so far out of the park that 1.0s, 2.0s, tweets of brand directors and below the belt ads simply cannot conquer. Period.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 31st August 2021 at 14:25.
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 14:46   #70
RJM
BHPian

my two cents: I have always wondered how brands like, Kia, Hyundai, enter the market by storm and turn the sales charts upside down while our homegrown dinosaurs, Tata and Mahindra still could not come even close in challenging Maruti and others. The design is still pathetic, getting more mature with safari, XUV and rest. Proof is in the pudding, our Ts' and Ms' got complacent and never invested in real R&D and in upgrading the design team. It is funny that TATA owns JLR but still struggle with technology and reliability locally. Mahindra worked with Pininfarina but then marazzo fate is an open book! unless both M & T realize and bring in a global product we shall see Haval, MG, and all brands overtake them besides the days are over when T & M can influence consumers in a particular way of buying process, that was possible a decade back but not anymore, the sooner they release this fact the better products shall start rolling out that can challenge incomers.
Old 31st August 2021, 15:00   #71
BHPian

I can so relate to this. My Brezza was supposed to be forward looking in safety when released (with airbags and side impact tests). But compared to Ford EcoSport and Hyundai Creta, I realized door shells are super flimsy - Its like comparing concrete work and brick work.

Recently on my road, an auto rickshaw stopped short and my left side bonnet rear ended his vehicle (at a speed no greater than 10kmph since my road is under repair - forever). The auto had no visible dents with a couple of dot marks like what happens when you hit with a compass (when you touch you can feel it had an impact there). My bonnet left side and side guard have caved in all the way to the end of the fender lining :(. Just shows Maruti and Safety are parallel lines, how much ever you pay.
warp_10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 15:28   #72
BHPian

Wow that's epic burn by Tata Motors! SO what if we discovered 0, we don't want a zero for safety. Hope cars across the world get safer not just in India. Kudos to Tata for taking the safety angle lead.
Old 31st August 2021, 16:14   #73
BHPian

What TATA did was very less. We are the actual one's mocking Maruti putting up a special thread and adding petrol to the fire ignited by TATA.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 16:52   #74
BHPian

I don't understand why Maruti thinks it can get away with this. Why does it have to be a choice between mileage and safety. Why can't it be both. I am sure people at Suzuki, if not Maruti, are not so incompetent that cant have a safe design. People purchase decisions, priorities and perceptions have to change from the yesteryear "Kitna deti hain" and "good resale" attitudes. People are slowly changing but not enough. In such a scenario, government should step up and make it their job to educate people and at the same time bring up regulations to hold auto-manufacturers liable.

Maruti chairman keeps parroting the same statement that more safety features raises the cost and makes cars unaffordable (not sure what their actual manufacturing costs are). I think a 50K raise in price due to better designed safer structure/chassis is well worth it. Base Alto costs 3.53L on-road in Hyderabad. Although a increase in price to 4L price will pinch middle class aspiring to buy their first car, I think they eventually buy it although it may take longer acquisition time. It would be great if government can be proactive and step-up to reduce tax on entry level segment for cars demonstrating certain safety standards to offset any price increase.
nightraven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 17:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhalla View Post
Meanwhile, Tigor EV scored 4 Stars in Global NCAP. Well done Tata Motors.
The 4 Star rating of the Tigor EV makes Maruti look like the real Dummy here.

Tata mocks Maruti-Suzuki yet again on the Swift's 0-star Latin NCAP test-dummy.jpg

Tata mocks Maruti-Suzuki yet again on the Swift's 0-star Latin NCAP test-tigor.jpeg
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks