Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 14:45   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: New "BH" series registration | For cars getting transferred from one state to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierk View Post
This was tweeted by the Orissa RTO yesterday, as a process for BH registration. Looks like the RTO still needs to approve it.
Pardon my ignorance but how is this beneficial.

For example if I buy an Altroz Diesel (Top Model) which costs above 10 L:
- BH Series Tax:10%
- Diesel Vehicle: 2%
This is a total of 12% of invoice value for 2 years or 6% per year.

- Goa Road Tax (6 Lakh to 15 Lakh Invoice value): 11% for 15 years.
This works out to 0.73% of invoice value per year.

Another thing is there is so much hoo-haa about this BH series but I haven't seen a single car with this registration. Not even a photo of a car registered anywhere else in India under this series.

The only thing good about this registration is the year of registration on the plate.
Old 19th September 2021, 14:56   #137
BHPian

Re: New "BH" series registration | For cars getting transferred from one state to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
New "BH" series registration | For cars getting transferred from one state to another-screenshot-20210919-2.52.52-pm.png

The 12% of invoice price (minus the GST) is used to arrive at the bi-annual tax amount. That is not the tax for the 2 years. The above screenshot shows the calculation and as per that it comes to around 1% of invoice price per year for a diesel vehicle above 10L.

Another advantage here is that, the invoice price that should be used is excluding GST, so there is considerable savings despite the 25% surcharge for the BH series.
varkey is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:03   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Pardon my ignorance but how is this beneficial.

- Goa Road Tax (6 Lakh to 15 Lakh Invoice value): 11% for 15 years.
This works out to 0.73% of invoice value per year.

Another thing is there is so much hoo-haa about this BH series but I haven't seen a single car with this registration. Not even a photo of a car registered anywhere else in India under this series.

The only thing good about this registration is the year of registration on the plate.
This 12 percent will be the total tax for 15 years. (So the 2 yearly rate can be calculated by multiplying this by 2/15). This is cheaper than many states and also lower upfront costs combined with easier to move between states. No getting stuck trying to get a refund from the old rto.

And of course you haven't seen a car with it because it hasn't actually been started yet. It's like saying what's the hoo haa about tesla , haven't seen one on Indian roads yet
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:13   #139
BHPian

Defence personnel are prohibited from copying or uploading their identity cards. I suppose the same applies to some, if not all, govt servants too.
How are the RTOs asking for the IDs to be uploaded ?
matizcrazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:49   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I'm getting the Himalayan tomorrow.
Planning to obtain a temp registration and go for final regn when BH is available in Bangalore.

Spoke to a RTO friend who says that it may take at least another 15 days before the notification. So this step.

Hope the dealer agrees for this
BH is an online system for New vehicles only..

Normally if you take a Temp registration after that when you finally register the form the same as transfer of registration (Which is also why the car needs to physically go to the RTO).

Which RTO do you go to for a BH registration?

Still checking if it will be possible to do an online registration on Parivahan for a vehicle that already havs a temp registration.
xavierk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 17:50   #141
BHPian

Quote:
BH is an online system for New vehicles only..

Normally if you take a Temp registration after that when you finally register the form the same as transfer of registration (Which is also why the car needs to physically go to the RTO).

Which RTO do you go to for a BH registration?

Still checking if it will be possible to do an online registration on Parivahan for a vehicle that already havs a temp registration.
KA05, Bangalore South.

Temp mean no registration right?
Old 19th September 2021, 18:06   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
KA05, Bangalore South.

Temp mean no registration right?
You cannot take the car out of the showroom with No registration. you have to do a TR registration if your going to take the car out.
xavierk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 21:23   #143

I have asked my organisation to issue a letter of specimen form given in the official declaration to state they have office in 4 or more states/UT.
The SA has although has not tried to convince me for normal number plate but indirectly tried persuading by asking why I was insisting on a BH number range when even the RTO's are not sure about it.
Anyway, I have asked her to not proceed with RTO process till the time I get this letter (form 60 i guess); and only if RTO rejects the BH number range request we will go the normal route.
Has anyone tried getting BH number plates in Maharashtra or Mumbai?
singhvikas101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 12:54   #144
BHPian

Looks like this is delayed for a while in Kerala :(

Quote:
The Kerala Government is yet to implement the centralised and uniform Bharat Series (BH) registration for private vehicles, fearing a dip in its revenue.

Though the Centre has rolled out the scheme and made an option to register vehicles under the BH series on Parivahan, the website of Central Ministry of Transport, the corresponding link could not be opened in Kerala. In a written communication to the Centre, the state had voiced its concern over the loss of revenue. After Kerala's request, the Centre temporarily suspended the registration of BH series in the state.

The Central government, however, has informed the state that the implementation could not be put on hold indefinitely. Kerala would require to find alternatives to make good the loss of revenue.
https://www.onmanorama.com/news/busi...ed-kerala.html
varkey is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 13:12   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
As expected, I must add.

I had asked sales representatives from three brands to let me know if they receive any clarity on the implementation of BH registration in Kerala - but all three said there is no information being provided from the RTO.

I'm expecting Kerala to be one of the last to implement this scheme. Hopefully that happens in the next couple of months at least.
Old 20th September 2021, 13:22   #146
BHPian

Quote:
We are also in the process of registration of our new car (City VX CVT) in a couple of days under my brother's name (who is serving in defense). Now this news is a real bummer. I'm now just thinking if there is any way we can register it outside Kerala. While calculating the tax differential under BH series, it works out highly beneficial.
AG86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 13:27   #147

Quote:

Atleast you have this information, in case of Maharashtra theres zero information in news or the RTO portal!
singhvikas101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 18:24   #148
BHPian

When good laws are passed, it takes ages to implement.

This was a long pending one and probably one of the most significant laws to ease pains of the car buyers who move around. Not discounting concerns of state governments that there could be loss of revenue. Most of the South Indian states punish car buyers with high taxes and in return either provide poorly executed or managed infrastructure or both in some cases.

In this case, weren’t the state government consulted before notification? This is plain red tape by the babus of respective state to stall implementation as much as possible. I won’t be surprised if they make getting NOC required for BH registration another tedious task. This would enable revenue stream for agents and continued greasing of hands.

In next 2-4 weeks i do expect this to gather some steam. There will be some niggles to start with. Atleast get the ball rolling for new vehicles next step would be for already purchased vehicle. One can’t hit a ball for six with even bowling the first ball.

I just hope this one doesn’t get lost. Odisha has paved a path with swift implementation. All kudos to the team. Any folks from the state who can share few more details.

States where the taxes are low what is the issue in implementation?

States with higher taxes will be the last one to follow.

For this one time, i hope these babus and ministers surprise us. Nothing wrong in wishful thinking.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 20th September 2021 at 18:29.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:45   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
In this case, weren’t the state government consulted before notification? This is plain red tape by the babus of respective state to stall implementation as much as possible. I won’t be surprised if they make getting NOC required for BH registration another tedious task. This would enable revenue stream for agents and continued greasing of hands.
I would gladly pay a "consulting" Fee to someone who can give accurate and precise information about a timeline of implementation. it will make a decision of "wait" or "don't wait" a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
In next 2-4 weeks i do expect this to gather some steam. There will be some niggles to start with. Atleast get the ball rolling for new vehicles next step would be for already purchased vehicle. One can’t hit a ball for six with even bowling the first ball.
The problem is lack of information, and i don't know why there no one seems to know. I've called the RTO and asked, Ive called agents and offered to pay for the information on timline.
the standard answer is "Don't know Saar"

someone in the government should be able to say it will take xx days for a decision or these are the x things pending clarity we expect an answer in n days and after that we will revert in y days..

Guess it too much to ask for govt to work within timlines.
xavierk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 23:41   #150
BHPian

Quote:
I would gladly pay a "consulting" Fee to someone who can give accurate and precise information about a timeline of implementation. it will make a decision of "wait" or "don't wait" a lot easier.

someone in the government should be able to say it will take xx days for a decision or these are the x things pending clarity we expect an answer in n days and after that we will revert in y days..

Guess it too much to ask for govt to work within timelines.
There is no easy answer to this. When there is revenue loss, then why will it be on priority to states. They would be more bothered on how to fill revenue deficit to their coffers. Once that is sorted out, then starts the slow roll out.

It's not even budget season, but that doesn't prevent them from raising state taxes. Add 1 rupee more as state tax on petrol/diesel or spirits and then they are done. I wish it was as easy as that. Every decision will have cascading effect.

This benefits a lot of central & defense employees and to some extent private sector. How does a state government employee will get any benefit out of it? There is no incentive for them to put any effort.

How many people are even making enquires for BH registrations? Such enquires will be minuscule in number.

None of the states were prepared other than Odisha. Were the states surprised by the speed in which central government issued notification?

What is more interesting is that there is no clarity even in Delhi, which is close to center of power.

My enquiries across 2 states have fetched below responses.
  • First response: BH registration? What's that? Didn't even hear. Shared article, notification. After a big pause, with a very confident voice, don't know sir if this will happen anytime soon.
  • Second response:Too much confusion over it at the moment. We are also trying to figure out, our agents are not able to tell anything either. There are no leads. Need to wait and watch.
Query: How will MORTH share revenue with state or vice versa? Answer lies here.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks