Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Diesel car - Your take
I will use my existing diesel for as long as possible. And no more diesel will I buy. 267 31.60%
No matter what, I will still buy diesel (NEW) until it ceases to be available 408 48.28%
I already adopted to other fuels. Completely stopped using/buying diesel 60 7.10%
I will sell my existing diesel car ASAP to go for other alternatives 13 1.54%
I was and will be always a petrol head. Never used/owned a diesel ever. 97 11.48%
Voters: 845. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2023, 10:23   #181
BHPian

Re: Is buying a Diesel Car in the next 2 years the right decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
Evaluating a Merc : May 2019 manufactured and Oct 2019 registered. RC does not say BS4 or BS6. How do I check which engine it has ?
May'2019 was very close to the Merc transiting to BS6 Compliant in India. I vaguely remember them launching BS6 compliant models from Jul'19.

You can have a simple check in case its a Diesel model you are evaluating that it must have DPF / SCR & AdBlue - if they are present then most likely it is a BS6 Stage 1 compliant and you can cross check with workshop otherwise it is not at all.
Old 23rd April 2023, 16:43   #182

Truth is electric is really a pipe dream in India till costs dramatically fall. Diesel is better for long distance given mileage. Government should allow petrol and diesel prices to be market dependent and allow customers the choice.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th June 2023 at 15:14. Reason: Punctuation
Old 23rd April 2023, 18:36   #183
BHPian

I use petrol for city runs and diesel for the long runs.

I would continue with that till there are good hybrids made available. I would love to have a good AND affordable pHEV with a 60-80 Km EV range and a ~600 Km fuel range, complexity of dual transmission be damned.

Till then Diesel it is for me till the government forces me to change.

It is not all hunky dory even with petrol.
We have multiple combinations of e10,20,25 petrol and the differently Rated engines that would need some delicate manoeuvring once all the combos are available parallelly, and we are talking about 2025 where we would reach e25.

EVs have a long way to go and I would really like to wait and watch till the > 8 year completion of EVs and the cost of battery replacement, not to mention the charging infrastructure, before going down that road.
careind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 14:58   #184
BHPian

Re: Petroleum ministry panel: Ban diesel 4-wheelers in big cities by 2027

We are in the market to buy a 7 seater MPV and decided on the KIA Carens. Available in 2 guises in Prestige Plus viz. Diesel iMT and Petrol DCT.

I am concerned about the reliability of the DCT gearbox in the long run. We intend to keep the car for minimum 8 years. My use case is going to be city drive daily about 20-30 kms and alternate weekends or minimum one weekend long drives covering about 200-300kms.

Does a diesel today make sense considering such our govt's adhoc decisions like they did in Delhi?

Diesel's better economy and cheaper fuel means it's cheaper to run but if they do get a ban on diesel in 5 years, the vehicle becomes a piece of metal scrap!

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs!
Old 13th May 2023, 15:12   #185
BHPian

I think it’s time to revisit this thread in light of the new Energy Transition report being considered by the government.
Does it make sense to buy a diesel car today?
Especially if it’s a fairly expensive car?
Or should one compromise on power/ aesthetic/ features (as the case may be) and go with a petrol in the same segment?

I had voted that I’ll retain my current diesel car, and that my next will be a petrol, but as things have panned out, I’m holding a booking for a diesel car right now, and I’ll have to compromise on features if I go for a petrol alternative (different make).
I think many who may have booked a diesel SUV may be facing a similar predicament; a petrol alternative (if at all available) is likely to be a fuel guzzler too.

For example the diesel Tucson has much more power than the petrol. If you like the Harrier, there’s simply no option but to buy a diesel. The diesel GLA/ X1 have way more power than the petrol counterparts. If you want an X3 right now, it’s either the diesel or the way more expensive and thirsty M40i.

Last edited by one-77 : 13th May 2023 at 15:37.
Old 13th May 2023, 16:18   #186
BHPian

I voted for the first option. I was using good old Innova but very recently decided to change the car for a new diesel like a Crysta or Xuv7oo but suddenly this news came that panel recommending diesel ban in 5 years time. This made me think twice because although I'm pretty sure that ain't going to happen but what if they actually stop sale of new diesel cars or increase registration cost of new or old diesel cars. I usually keep cars for more than 5-6 years. The resale value will take a hit. Hence decided to go for GV strong hybrid. It'll mitigate the diesel fear and hopefully will give decent mileage to cover up the extra cost paid upfront in the long run. Let's see how it pans out.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 23:09   #187
BHPian

This is probably the most confusing time to buy a car. As it is most car buyers are confused as to which car to buy. Now more confusion, which fuel tech to buy as well!
Diesel cars might get banned means sale of new diesel cars might be banned but existing can continue right? There’s so much uncertainty around it. But it’s possible that the gov may ban diesel cars completely and suddenly.
Good EV or Hybrid options are not yet available. And Petrol options are fuel guzzlers in bigger engines.

Best option is to continue with existing cars till you can I guess.

Last edited by magikrider : 20th June 2023 at 23:13.
Old 25th June 2023, 20:07   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Good EV or Hybrid options are not yet available..
So many EV options are available. You have the lower end ones like Tiago, Tigor and Nexon from TATA, mid end ones like MG ZS EV and Mahindra EV and higher end ones like BYD Atto 3 and EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5 as well as Kia EV6. Then you have plenty of options in luxury brands like BMW iX, Mercedes EQS and EQC etc. Volvo has one as well.
You have some choices on the hybrid front as well including Honda City and Maruti and Toyota variants.
Old 25th June 2023, 23:57   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
So many EV options are available. You have the lower end ones like Tiago, Tigor and Nexon from TATA, mid end ones like MG ZS EV and Mahindra EV and higher end ones like BYD Atto 3 and EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5 as well as Kia EV6. Then you have plenty of options in luxury brands like BMW iX, Mercedes EQS and EQC etc. Volvo has one as well.
You have some choices on the hybrid front as well including Honda City and Maruti and Toyota variants.
In mid range there’s just MG ZS EV, which seems a good option but it’s not a big car compared to ICE options where you have loads of options from M&M, Tata, MG, Toyota, VW group etc. Lot of limitations and hardly any option yet.

Same goes for a segment above. The ones you mentioned are either too expensive like the EV6, Ionic, iX, EQS/C etc. Or there’s chinese stuff like BYD. Very limited option yet. And also there’s hardly the infra to support it! Been hearing so many stories lately where EV owners are stranded or had to cut short their trips or had to wait for hours to charge the car!

Hybrid is more sustainable tech but there are very less options yet. Apart from Toyota, there’s hardly any maker who’s pitching for it yet.

Hence I think we’re still in the developing phase. Couple of years down the line maybe and hopefully we’ll have better infra and tech where the charging time is reduced to manageable time. And hopefully we’ll have more options in Hybrid tech as well to choose.
Old 26th June 2023, 10:09   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Unfortunately all the Tata EVs have the problem of the HV critical error leaving the vehicle stranded without any early warning. If Tata can somehow solve this problem all of them are best EV options today. MG Comet EV is not a practical option for me. The Hybrids are too expensive and makes sense only if the running is high.
Old 26th June 2023, 11:17   #191
BANNED

Bought AX7LDAT last month fully knowing what the fate of Diesel will be in a couple of years. But I love that addictive torque of Diesel engines.

Being a sedate driver, like to drive in that massive wave of torque rather than mashing the throttle. All my cars except my first car, a Maruti 800, had an oil burner under the hood. Diesel, and only diesel for me

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th June 2023 at 15:17. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
dilipkumar7278 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 14:06   #192
Senior - BHPian

I really don't know what the Govt. is upto.
Diesel cars to be banned soon.
Higher ethanol percentage to act as slow poison to petrol cars!
Hybrids are too expensive and still have to bear with Ethanol headache.
EV options are limited and charging infra is no where good.

Governments motive is clear, make existing owners sell off cars sooner, confuse new car buyers and ensure car sales increase! Cars have become like tobacco, govt knows buyers will continue to buy no matter how steep the taxes are and make them buy more frequently. Incase you don't, spend more on maintenance which again attracts GST!

So bottom-line, buy what you like, policies will anyway make your life difficult!
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 12:49   #193
BHPian

What is the realistic picture going to be in say 8 to 10 years? To me it seems like plying private diesel cars will be an issue going forward.

I have an 8-year-old Thar Crde and I am wondering if I should sell the car when it can still be sold off.
Old 8th November 2023, 19:31   #194
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2014 Ecosport Duesel and feels to sell it but I don't want an EV now and mind says to go for a new diesel.
Will that be a wise decision as there is a question mark over the future of diesel cars?
Fellow Bhpians kidly guide me.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th November 2023 at 19:32.
Old 10th November 2023, 10:19   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I own a 2014 Ecosport Duesel and feels to sell it but I don't want an EV now and mind says to go for a new diesel.
Will that be a wise decision as there is a question mark over the future of diesel cars?
Fellow Bhpians kidly guide me.
Diesel cars are on the way out for general commuter. Delhi has banned diesel cars which are 10 years old. Others will soon follow. In good old days you could keep a well maiuntained vehicle for decades, but unfortunately the scenario has changed.

So unless you run a lot (say > 20,000 km/annum) a diesel car is not viable.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks