Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 21:36   #1
BHPian

How long can you drive a new car on a temporary number-plate?

Fellow BHPians,

Can someone let me know if it is OK to drive a new car in Bangalore without HSRP for a couple of days after taking delivery? I have gone through multiple news articles, but it is not entirely clear whether you are allowed to drive with a temporary registration number for a few days until the HSRP arrives. This is of course after the registration is done, and the number is sent to you via SMS.

My brother-in-law took delivery of his Ertiga last month, and the dealer delivered the car on the same day it was registered. He drove the car without the number plate for a few days, and didn't get fined anywhere in Bangalore. However, I have heard from multiple people that it is now not legal to drive home a car from the showroom without a HSRP.

I am asking this, as I have make a decision about waiting/not waiting for a particular number from RTO. If I do decide to wait, my delivery date might get pushed (if there is a rule that I cannot drive home the vehicle without HSRP), and I don't want to move the date.

Please help.
nTorq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: How long can you drive a new car on a temporary number-plate?

From what I have read, when a new car is registered, a sticker with the new number is provided and this is stuck on the windshield. Did you check with your BiL on this point ?

I have seen some new cars being driven around without the plates. So I guess it should be fine till you get the plates.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

As far as I know, HSRP usually are approved in couple of days after number is allotted. Temporary numbers are legal and online too. Valid for around 30 days. Instead of sticker type, get these on a proper plate with stickers like old days. There were some talks about using Red and Yellow plates for this (there’s even a thread here) but don’t know if it’s implemented. I did on one of new vehicles but people thought it’s a test drive vehicle.

Best will be to speak to a traffic inspector, he will give you a practical advice.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:49   #4
BHPian

I don't know about Karnataka RTO rules, but here in my town (tier 3 Maharashtra city) I drove my creta with red temporary passing stickers for about 10 days. No traffic officer asked me or stopped me for this. I guess it would be fine provided there's legit reason for delay in getting the HSRP. Bring your car home on the auspicious day you've chosen to, you can later go to the showroom and get the plates installed.
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 06:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
. Temporary numbers are legal and online too. Valid for around 30 days. Instead of sticker type, get these on a proper plate with stickers like old days.
Correct. To avoid getting caught in the stringent police checking nowadays, go to any small license plate shop and get the temporary number printed on a cheap acrilyc plate in the correct colour. Also, carry all relevant documents showing that your HSRP is on order.

I got my 330i HSRPs after 2 months but that was at the height of Unlock 1.0, and the police had other things to worry about.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 07:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have your number allotted then just make a temporary plate of it to drive until your HSRP is ready.
Although my newer cars came with HSRP plates, I never installed them and use my regular plate with my preferred font. Have had no issues with cops. I don’t forsee an issue with cops either until they make it mandatory for all old and existing cars to switch to HSRP. Until then it’s impossible for a cop to judge which car got delivered after the HSRP era started.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th August 2021 at 07:10.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 08:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How long can you drive a new car on a temporary number-plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Until then it’s impossible for a cop to judge which car got delivered after the HSRP era started.
Sahil, this is definitely avoidable in BLR especially if you frequent the high security areas. The cops here immediately feed in your number into their handhelds, and it will be revealed instantly that your vehicle is registered on or after 1 April 2019, which was the initiation date for mandatory HSRP. Another dead giveaway is the mandatory RTO sticker on the windshield.

Further, there are multiple dedicated RTO squads also out these days, and if they stop you, you're in for a lot more trouble.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Fellow BHPians,

Can someone let me know if it is OK to drive a new car in Bangalore without HSRP for a couple of days after taking delivery? I have gone through multiple news articles, but it is not entirely clear whether you are allowed to drive with a temporary registration number for a few days until the HSRP arrives. This is of course after the registration is done, and the number is sent to you via SMS.

My brother-in-law took delivery of his Ertiga last month, and the dealer delivered the car on the same day it was registered. He drove the car without the number plate for a few days, and didn't get fined anywhere in Bangalore. However, I have heard from multiple people that it is now not legal to drive home a car from the showroom without a HSRP.

I am asking this, as I have make a decision about waiting/not waiting for a particular number from RTO. If I do decide to wait, my delivery date might get pushed (if there is a rule that I cannot drive home the vehicle without HSRP), and I don't want to move the date.

Please help.
1. In Bangalore all dealers deliver you with Permanent registration, unless you specifically ask for temporary registration.
2. Temporary registration is valid for 30 days. You can renew once(or even more times) just before expiry. Do note if temp expires, you lose insurance validity. Its perfectly fine to roam around country with valid temporary registration.
3.HSRP will be available to you only after permanent registrations. Typically takes a weeks time. Until then you can drive around with "Registered" sticker and present tax paid receipt if stopped. Note that "Registered" is not same as temporary registration. If its registered and not temporary registration, you will get permanent registration number in a day or two. Yellow "Regd." sticker means full tax is paid, awaiting registration number. Temporary registration will have a different number assigned.
4. You should install HSRP immediately after receiving same. Some RTO, send RC card for printing only after sharing photo of car installed with HSRP.

After receiving HSRP, its advisable to install immediately. Traffic police can track every step of your registration.

Last edited by PrideRed : 17th August 2021 at 11:45.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
1. I Note that "Registered" is not same as temporary registration. If its registered and not temporary registration, you will get permanent registration number in a day or two. Yellow "Regd." sticker means full tax is paid, awaiting registration number. Temporary registration will have a different number assigned.
The dealer is getting permanent registration done (or rather applying for one) on Thursday, but he is not guaranteeing that the number would have been allocated by Friday. In such a case, is it OK to drive it back home and then get the number plate fixed 2 days later when it arrives?
nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In such a case, is it OK to drive it back home and then get the number plate fixed 2 days later when it arrives?
Yes, put a big 'Registered' sticker on front and back, and carry all documentation proving the registration is complete.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is getting permanent registration done (or rather applying for one) on Thursday, but he is not guaranteeing that the number would have been allocated by Friday. In such a case, is it OK to drive it back home and then get the number plate fixed 2 days later when it arrives?
IMO, you should be fine for 2 days. I believe the dealer will give you all the documentation including the TC plate and invoice dated on the day of delivery. In case you get stopped, just show them that.

We got our bike delivered on 28th May. The RTO was closed till 1st June. Our number was issued on 15th and the plate came around 10-12 days later. Not once did a cop stop us. Even when the Vento was delivered, the dealer stuck on a Temp. Tag on since we had to travel for 4 days. Again, no one stopped us. So, I believe you should be completely fine with it. Just ensure that the documentation is present.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 14:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the norm and its safe to drive around. You actually wont get HSRP for a week so there is no issue driving around. Insist dealer to provide you with tax paid receipt before delivery. You will also get an SMS from RTO. Don't take delivery unless you get tax paid receipt. Keep checking Webportal, most likely number will be allotted by Saturday.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 19:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the July 2020 amendment to the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 temporary registration plates are banned and cannot be displayed on motor vehicles in lieu of the registration plates (HSRP). Mainly, as these are not readable by the number plate reading devices in CCTV cameras installed by law enforcing agencies.

Quote:

Driving a car with a paper-printed temporary registration number has been made an offence by the Union Ministry of Road Transport Highways (MoRTH). The new rule is consequent on the revision of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules to curb fraudulent activities.

At present, vehicles sporting such paper-printed temporary registration numbers ply the road for weeks. Many who reserve fancy numbers drive vehicles sporting these temporary registrations till the auction is completed.

Law-enforcing agencies’ cameras equipped with number plate reading facility find it difficult to read them. The numbers, written on paper, are not clear and the paper can be easily removed in case the vehicle is involved in a crime.
Full news on this link:-

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le32140759.ece

The earlier limit was one month for usage of such a plate. Reference to the Section 43 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, which says that such a temporary number could be used for one month.

Quote:

Section 43 in The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
43. Temporary registration.—
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 40 the owner of a motor vehicle may apply to any registering authority or other prescribed authority to have the vehicle temporarily registered in the prescribed manner and for the issue in the prescribed manner of a temporary certificate of registration and a temporary registration mark.

(2) A registration made under this section shall be valid only for a period not exceeding one month, and shall not be renewable: Provided that where a motor vehicle so registered is a chassis to which a body has not been attached and the same is detained in a workshop beyond the said period of one month for being fitted 1[with a body or any unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of the owner], the period may, on payment of such fees, if any, as may be prescribed, be extended by such further period or periods as the registering authority or other prescribed authority, as the case may be, may allow. In a case where the motor vehicle is held under hire-purchase agreement, lease or hypothecation, the registering authority or other prescribed authority shall issue a temporary certificate of registration of such vehicle, which shall incorporate legibly and prominently the full name and address of the person with whom such agreement has been entered into by the owner.]

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th August 2021 at 19:31.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

In Chandigarh, it is illegal to drive with temporary number on a sticker for more than 24 hours after delivery. We were stopped while taking the car home.

Anyway, here in North, cars are registered from the showroom itself. It takes 2-3 weeks before permanent number is allotted and further 2 weeks on an average to get the HSRPs.

We are allowed to drive with temporary number till that time. Keep receipt of road tax payment with you as an added precaution.

In the meanwhile, the first thing to do after taking delivery of a car with number plate.

Visit a showroom/shop where computerized number plates are made, get a number plate in red background with yellow letters as per motor vehicle rules.

People here drive with white temporary plates having black letters and no police objects to this as well.
Old 28th August 2021, 08:25   #15
BHPian

In Chandigarh 30 days is the official time limit. However, you have to keep the RTO receipt with you in case stopped by traffic police. In certain cases like special number via auction or series change, the RTO issues slip with date extension as happened with me and date of allotment of number was 60 days from application.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks