Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2021, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)

Just received a recall notice from Hyundai.

It states :

we have decided to conduct a Recall Campaign involving your vehicle.
We wish to inform you that the said Recall will be organized to inspect the possible electrical deficiencies in the Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU) by replacing the fuse & updating the Electronic stability control (ESC) Software. HMIL will carry out the inspection as a preventive measure although no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere in India till date.

Any other Tucson owner here who has received this letter ?
Any idea what it is about ?

Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)-tucson-recall-edited.jpg
argho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 18:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)

Thread moved to the Indian Car Scene - thanks for sharing!
Old 15th August 2021, 22:13   #3
BHPian

I received this also. Seems like some kind of fire hazard given the “don’t park inside” note. Will update once I find out more.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 01:46   #4

How different is this vehicle as compared to the same/ similar ones offered in the US?

And comparative reliability in the India offering vs US ones? I recall Hyundai used to offer a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty way back to establish their brand against the Toytota/ Honda incumbent base.
Old 16th August 2021, 10:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post
How different is this vehicle as compared to the same/ similar ones offered in the US?
Considering Tuscon is a complete import, most likely related to US recall. Get it changed soon folks, looks like a major hazard.

https://www.motorsafety.org/hyundai-...f-engine-fire/

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn_in View Post
I recall Hyundai used to offer a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty
10 year warranty is for power trains. This is from their brochure.

Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)-screenshot-20210816-11.02.48-am.png

Last edited by prajwalmr62 : 16th August 2021 at 11:04.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:40   #6
BHPian

I have also received the same letter. @QuadraticAmoeba @argho - in case you do talk to the service center, please do share the discussion here. I want to understand the procedure w.r.t.:
1. Can we go to any service center or are there fixed options in each city?
2. Do we need to give advanced notice for this issue to the service center so that they are aware of the changes suggested by Hyundai or not?
3. Any other points which need to be kept in mind while getting ECU updated and the fuse added?
Old 16th August 2021, 12:07   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Considering Tuscon is a complete import, most likely related to US recall. Get it changed soon folks, looks like a major hazard.

https://www.motorsafety.org/hyundai-...f-engine-fire/

Reading this article it is abundantly clear that Hyundai is washing their hands off way too easily for Indian market by updating just a fuse and a software update, this is clearly a hardware issue as it says the board gets corroded (which must be a slow process) and there is leakage issue there as well which causes short circuit, i'am sure the board and related fixes are not cheap to replace.

What a different fuse will probably do (it will be a lower rated fuse) is turn off the power supply and prevent the fire in case of short circuit (and hence any major trouble to Hyundai motors)
but then the owner will be left with a car without working ABS system and the dealerships will surely not replace it for free and make a convenient excuse to the uninformed customer, well this is just unethical on part of Hyundai and not surprising at all as they have thousands of white Cretas (i have literally counted atleast 20 Cretas in past few months in my small Gurgaon Delhi road sample size)(and i20s) with paint literally peeling off on its own on its tailgate and they don't even acknowledge it much less initiate a recall, well they have lost a customer for life with their utterly unethical behaviour.
Rocketscience is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 15:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Reading this article it is abundantly clear that Hyundai is washing their hands off way too easily for Indian market by updating just a fuse and a software update.

This is just unethical on part of Hyundai and not surprising at all as they have thousands of white Cretas (i have literally counted atleast 20 Cretas in past few months in my small Gurgaon Delhi road sample size)(and i20s) with paint literally peeling off on its own on its tailgate and they don't even acknowledge it much less initiate a recall, well they have lost a customer for life with their utterly unethical behaviour.
Exactly! Hyundai-Kia are taking the trust of Indian customers for granted with these quality issues and pathetic customer support! And for this, I have lost trust in them and will never buy or recommend anyone a Hyundai-Kia product ever in my life!

I hope they mend their ways soon. Because if they don't, it won't be long before Tata throws them off the second position (and Kia has already started losing hype!)
Old 16th August 2021, 18:48   #9
BHPian

I spoke to my usual after sales service centre today (Kun Hyundai in Amabttur).

The first couple of people I spoke to, had no idea what I was talking about. Finally one of their Service Advisors called me back. He said its a very simple rectification and can be done in a couple of hours.

They are going to pickup my vehicle from home tomorrow, and return it after fixing the issue, free of cost.
Old 16th August 2021, 22:27   #10
BHPian

In North America, They are just replacing the fuse with the higher ampere rating and updating the software.

This was done ~4 months back.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 16th August 2021 at 22:28.
Old 24th August 2021, 11:19   #11
BHPian

Got it fixed today at Trident Hyundai, KR Puram, Bangalore. Just took 15 minutes. I suggest to call ahead and ensure they have the fuse in stock.

Fuse module changed, basically it has added two more fuses.
Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)-fuse-update.jpg

Also an ECU update.
Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)-ecu-update.jpg
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argho View Post
Just received a recall notice from Hyundai.

It states :

we have decided to conduct a Recall Campaign involving your vehicle.
We wish to inform you that the said Recall will be organized to inspect the possible electrical deficiencies in the Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU) by replacing the fuse & updating the Electronic stability control (ESC) Software. HMIL will carry out the inspection as a preventive measure although no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere in India till date.

Any other Tucson owner here who has received this letter ?
Any idea what it is about ?
I have an *early* 2017 base diesel manual tranny model (which I believe is the same as the 2016 model). I haven't got any notice as yet. Is any info posted on the Hyundai website, where I can search by VIN# to see if it applies to my Tucson? I tried looking but couldn't find it. The closest I got was the following article:

https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/au...al-issue/story
Old 24th August 2021, 13:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
Considering Tuscon is a complete import, most likely related to US recall.
Tucson is a CKD and not a CBU import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Reading this article it is abundantly clear that Hyundai is washing their hands off way too easily for Indian market...
Well the articles are from North America and Hyundai USA has suggested the same repair as would be done on Indian cars. I'm not entirely sure about your comment suggesting different treatment for Indian market cars.
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:03   #14
BHPian

Got my car fixed today at Advaith Hyundai, ORR. Like mentioned in previous posts, the fix is two parts, the ABS multi-fuse replacement with a higher resistance one ( 40A -> 25A ) and the ECU update for ESC.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)-img_7063.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson Recall for Hydraulic & Electronic Control Unit (HECU)-img_7065.jpg  

sandeep.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 21:19   #15

I bought a Tucson Diesel 4x2 AT GLS in March (delivered finally in June because of lockdown). However, I haven’t got any information about a recall either by mail or SMS or post. Hyundai dealership says if I didn’t get a letter then I’m not eligible.

Does anyone know if maybe whatever the issue is was already fixed in 2021 models?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks