Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2022, 20:17   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Case Study - How parking space affects upgrading

Lol, I was so sure that I am that good of an auto consultant of sorts (I mean, I have helped so many folks buy cars in the US and India; a dealer in the US had even voluntarily cut me a $150 cheque in 2016 for having given him $150,000 in used car sales over the years).

Sadly, I was going through the old Team-BHP archives right now and discovered to my dismay that I've been calling a CVT automatic a 5 speed torque converter automatic gearbox! It is with disappointment that I own up to my error. What I've gotten my BIL is the very car that was reviewed here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-2016-a-1.html (Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze Facelift & CVT (2016))

This is the first time I've ever committed a fundamental error like this.... I was so sure that the old Amaze body style came only with a torque converter! Familiarity breeds incompetency in the consulting line, eh?

But still - I've changed gears and am studying the CVT gearbox's transmission oil change schedule. It's still a Honda CVT, so am not unduly bothered. There's no harm done, no foul. Here's to due diligence to ensure that it serves the family well, regardless. Am still happy for them.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 23:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Case Study - How parking space affects upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Sadly, I was going through the old Team-BHP archives right now and discovered to my dismay that I've been calling a CVT automatic a 5 speed torque converter automatic gearbox! It is with disappointment that I own up to my error. What I've gotten my BIL is the very car that was reviewed here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-2016-a-1.html (Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze Facelift & CVT (2016))

This is the first time I've ever committed a fundamental error like this.... I was so sure that the old Amaze body style came only with a torque converter! Familiarity breeds incompetency in the consulting line, eh?
Slightly OT.

A CVT gearbox's fundamental benefit is that it's actually not that expensive to manufacture and easy to package in small cars.

They do need some sort of clutch (clutch and gearbox are separate pieces in all cars) , usually it is a Torque Converter , I don't think any of the CVT cars we have uses anything rudimentary like you see on a scooter, Boodmo lists the TC in Amaze at a cool 1.7L INR!!
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks