View Poll Results: What do you think?
Thumbs up 199 53.07%
Thumbs down 176 46.93%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 06:12   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio

Logo is fresh but I do not feel it is good enough to sit on a hood of a burly SUV. To mount it, they have to fit it in an upside down trapezium, which is rather shoddy.

Lacks grace, like the ovals and circles of the automotive world.

Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio-img_20210811_060815.jpg

The previous logo had no problems at all!

Also, I couldn't help but remember where I saw the twin peaks last

Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio-img_20210811_060030.jpg
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 07:42   #107
BHPian

Mahindra says it's a logo for SUVs. I wanted to see how it would look on a hatchback (Altroz).

Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio-altroz1.jpg

Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio-altroz2.jpg
Singer_Shower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:16   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Like I wrote yesterday, this logo will grow on us fast. The Logo it looking better than what it did yesterday. I was wondering how a 2D version of this logo would look like and it is good. The butterfly/bowtie/bunny ears looks nice in the 2D form too. I except this 2D logos to go on presentations, flyers, brochures, body graphics, camouflage wraps etc.

Mahindra reveals new logo for its SUV portfolio-mahindra-logo.jpg
Old 11th August 2021, 10:52   #109
BHPian

Voted thumbs down, to me this looks like chiseled metal butterfly or metallic bow tie for the vehicle.

Apologies for going Off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
The idea and message behind Mahindra's new logo for the SUV portfolio. It has been designed by their new CDO Pratap Bose.

https://Youtu.be/_pBEHVdwERg
Wow this guy must be SUPERMAN. By 6th week into the company he implies the new logo had his heavy influence... Let's do some simple math. Making video of brand launch itself will take at least 3 to 4 weeks on a superfast manner(right from ideation, shooting, music composing, post production editing, approval and send to media houses and many more things I have missed to mention). So he finalized logo with all thinking tnkering + explanation to Mr.AM and he approving in record time, all in 2 week from the date of him joining.

Either he was working with logo design prior to him joining MnM or he is taking loads of credit which is due for the team which really worked on this project. Eitherway, he has done some unethical stuff in my opinion. My respect towards him has gone down.
BrakingBad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 11:02   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer_Shower View Post
Mahindra says it's a logo for SUVs. I wanted to see how it would look on a hatchback (Altroz).
Man I liked the logo but on Altroz it totally looks like a black rat's teeth about to gnaw at the other cars.

P.S. Talking about the logo inspiration, I have seen the mood boards. And yes, it can come from anywhere; from batman's logo, to butterfly to a men's trunk (that's cut from the center).

With that being said, Mahindra's first ever(?) logo with those rays and all actually suited to the word "rise".
Old 11th August 2021, 11:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Man I liked the logo but on Altroz it totally looks like a black rat's teeth about to gnaw at the other cars.
I knew there was something off about it but couldn't figure it out, thanks for putting it out succinctly. Maybe some slanted vertical lines in the grill to support the logo (like that in XUV700) would make it look less like a pair of incisor teeth.
Singer_Shower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:30   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakingBad View Post
Wow this guy must be SUPERMAN. By 6th week into the company he implies the new logo had his heavy influence... Let's do some simple math. Making video of brand launch itself will take at least 3 to 4 weeks on a superfast manner(right from ideation, shooting, music composing, post production editing, approval and send to media houses and many more things I have missed to mention). So he finalized logo with all thinking tnkering + explanation to Mr.AM and he approving in record time, all in 2 week from the date of him joining.

Either he was working with logo design prior to him joining MnM or he is taking loads of credit which is due for the team which really worked on this project. Eitherway, he has done some unethical stuff in my opinion. My respect towards him has gone down.
I kind of felt the same; I was also thinking how something as important and epic as a brand logo design, approval, its appointment to an important upcoming product and corporate branding, etc. were all managed within 6 weeks. Even in an agile environment, its a tight timeline to meet.
Consideration needs to be made for tooling of the logo for the front and rear of the XUV7OO, steering wheel, wheel hubs, keys and key fobs, etc.. Usually these tasks, I would imagine, takes time.

Well, cannot refute anything unless evidence exists and he's also (widely) admitting to be behind the final logo. I hope for someone aspiring for achievements in the design department for a huge multinational Indian automobile manufacturer, Mr. Bose didn't start off by taking credit for someone else's work (of course the team may have worked on early design iterations - which he has admitted to in the video, as well), but as the boss of the team, he'd have to finalise the design, ensure its approval to present it and as is the case usually in most corporate arenas, gets the credit.
Old 11th August 2021, 13:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakingBad View Post
I wouldn't exactly say taking credit. More like taking responsibility. He is the CDO after all. Just because he is new he cannot palm off something as important as a new logo to the team that works under him.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:57   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I kind of felt the same... corporate arenas, gets the credit.
Let me tell you about my design industry. I am an experienced designer but I am new to a particular field in design. In a company, I worked hard and did a lot of design research and built a product worth launching.

I am a senior designer and we have junior designers too but I am not a Design Manager and the one who joined has done so just a month ago. The manger may or may not have contributed a lot, but when the product launches, though we do get design credit, but the manager becomes the face of that design.

This doesn't mean what he did is unethical. In future that manager will take major decisions and get the work done for sure. But right now he is known for this project that we launched where he joined later.

No one in the design team will feel bad for this unless the design manager was good for nothing and took all the credit. It's not like "Shah Jehan built the Taj Mahal but actually all that he did was chop the hands off of the constructors and got himself all the credit".

So here, Mr. Bose becomes the face of this logo design which marks the beginning of his design journey at Mahindra.
RavSam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:58   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I wouldn't exactly say taking credit. More like taking responsibility. He is the CDO after all. Just because he is new he cannot palm off something as important as a new logo to the team that works under him.
In the video, he clearly says the car design he did not have any influence on. However he goes and explaining so many things about logo. When I look at this video at least for the first 15 minutes I got the impression that she clearly says /Implies he has worked on so many aspects in terms of design and also he went on to say that he got approved by Mr.Anand Mahindra.
Another interesting thing about this video is the first two minutes buttering each other . That's a clear indicator to me that this is a pre agreed scripted video.
BrakingBad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 17:11   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Let me tell you about my design industry. I am an experienced designer but I am new to a particular field in design. In a company, I worked hard and did a lot of design research and built a product worth launching.

I am a senior designer and we have junior designers too but I am not a Design Manager and the one who joined has done so just a month ago. The manger may or may not have contributed a lot, but when the product launches, though we do get design credit, but the manager becomes the face of that design.

This doesn't mean what he did is unethical. In future that manager will take major decisions and get the work done for sure. But right now he is known for this project that we launched where he joined later.

No one in the design team will feel bad for this unless the design manager was good for nothing and took all the credit. It's not like "Shah Jehan built the Taj Mahal but actually all that he did was chop the hands off of the constructors and got himself all the credit".

So here, Mr. Bose becomes the face of this logo design which marks the beginning of his design journey at Mahindra.
Just for clarification, I wasn't intently meaning to say what he did was unethical. What you've described isn't very different in the IT industry. Heads coming and going and being 'accountable' for things and deliverables isn't very different from this situation Prathap Bose was in. So I do agree.

In his interview video, he also clearly stated that his design was a 2nd (and final) iteration that was presented for approval, as a design prior to his was already in the works. So I don't doubt him or blame him for receiving credit for the logo design, that is attributed to him now. He's the CDO and the logo design came from the MADE.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 19:33   #117
KGS
BHPian

Thumbs down from me.

Somehow I am not really able to connect this Batman type logo with a SUV. Previous logo looked much better.
Old 11th August 2021, 20:52   #118
BHPian

Thumbs up from me! Personally I think this design is miles ahead of the older one. Judging from the comments, I feel some of the hate for Pratap Bose has rubbed off on the logo too . Anyway it remains to be seen how this looks on the car. I seriously hope Tata does something about their logo too.
Old 12th August 2021, 00:41   #119
BHPian

Thumbs up for me! It looks better when compared to the existing logo that they have. I don't know if its just me and I don't even know the reason, Whenever I see the existing logo of M&M I immediately associate it with tractors.
Few points as already mentioned here,
1) Sharp edges could have been more subtle.
2) The 3D design could reduce or transform the logo to fit into the practical usage, which might saturate the bling of the design.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:17   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Backlog:
  1. Product line-up.
  2. Quality.
  3. Reliability.
  4. Ramp-up production to reduce wait times.
  5. A dozen other things.
Someone in the glass room:
Chuck the backlog. The problem is perception and let us fix it by launching a new logo and a spin around it. Let us spend precious time and money on re-branding.

Outcome:
  1. Online chatter for some months. People fight it out.
  2. August 2022: Did anything change for the customer?
Brand image is built on the foundation of good products and services.

Mahindra couldn't be original or creative enough to get their new logo right points to the vacuum inside the company.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks