Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 13:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India

The Genesis G80 sedan and GV80 SUV were spotted at the inauguration of the new Hyundai India headquarters in Gurgaon. The cars were showcased alongside the Nexo, and the Ioniq 5.

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesis.jpeg

The G80 was spotted on Indian roads earlier this year. The car is a mid-range luxury sedan that rivals the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and BMW 5 Series. In the international market, the G80 is offered with three engine options. These include a 2.5-litre turbocharged 4-cylinder petrol, a 3.5-litre twin-turbo V6 petrol and a 2.2-litre diesel engine. All engines come standard with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

The GV80 is based on the G80 sedan and takes on cars like the Mercedes-Benz GLE and BMW X5. It comes with three engine options - a 2.5-litre turbocharged 4-cylinder petrol, a 3.5-litre turbo V6 petrol, and a straight-6 3.0-litre diesel engine.

Image Source: Kushan Mitra

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 27th July 2021 at 13:59.
ChiragM is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India

Genesis has some decent products in their portfolio.
I think they should have a go at this lucrative luxury market.

If KIA can sell it's carnival for 40+ lakhs, then why not Genesis.

They should bring in the GV70/G70, as a GLC/X3 rival.

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesiskrgallerygv70exteriorgallery03desktop1920x960ko.jpg
abhishek46 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 15:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

They should bring in the GV70/G70, as a GLC/X3 rival.

Attachment 2184315
Indian's are extremely badge conscious. You wont find buyers of a Mercedes/ BMW going for a Hyundai owned Genesis. At least this is what I have marked about our market!

Unless Hyundai prices these 30% lower than the big 3 players I doubt these will sell but you never know with Hyundai and their marketing skills
SN88 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:06   #4
BHPian

Genesis definitely can't compete with Mercedes and BMW thanks to their limited product portfolio.
But they can certainly bring the heat to the segment.I know Indians are badge conscious but those drop dead gorgeous designs from Genesis might change their minds.Just like how Tata changed people's perspective with the current design language.
Sentinel17 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Indian's are extremely badge conscious. You wont find buyers of a Mercedes/ BMW going for a Hyundai owned Genesis. At least this is what I have marked about our market!

Unless Hyundai prices these 30% lower than the big 3 players I doubt these will sell but you never know with Hyundai and their marketing skills
If MG can sell Gloster, albeit in lesser numbers, in segment of Fortuner & Endeavour; I think Hyundai can sell Genesis. Surely, the brand identity will be separate and any connections with Hyundai are going be well concealed. The way its done for KIA.

Anyways, Genesis will be happy to sell in hundreds only, atleast initially in India. Won't be targeting thousands.
AutoNoob is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 20:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel17 View Post
I know Indians are badge conscious but those drop dead gorgeous designs from Genesis might change their minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Surely, the brand identity will be separate and any connections with Hyundai are going be well concealed. The way its done for KIA.
Agreed, Indians are very badge conscious. All the other points put forward are also 100% relevant, I concur.

But 1 thing that Indians put foremost among ALL segments is Value For Money. No doubts about it.

Let Genesis launch in India with at least a 10-15 lakh marked price difference among the German rivals in the 40-70 lakh segment, combine it with all the marketing wizardry they can, and look at the magic unfold.
Big Smoke is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 22:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Who knows if the Indian market will finally get them ? Hyundai has indeed successfully mastered the art of selling the more expensive Kia cars in our market, that too amidst the middle of a pandemic. Pretty sure a very competent team can make a success story out of Genesis in India. It will take time though, and most likely be a five or ten year strategy for them to have a good percent of the target market space.

Last edited by TrackDay : 27th July 2021 at 22:25.
Old 28th July 2021, 00:24   #8

The way I see it, a well established brand like Lexus struggles to sell its cars in India. A Lexus might be the 2nd or 3rd luxury car of someone who owns one of the flagship offerings of the big 3 German manufacturers.

Genesis makes amazing cars. No doubt. Will it have the same success as Kia? Definitely no. There are a huge percentage of people who go for the Audi A3 over the Skoda Superb or Octavia in the 35-40 lakh range, though Skoda offers better VFM.

Genesis will definitely not be close to the price point of, forget undercut, any of the Kia or Hyundai cars. This means the cheapest models will be in the 50-60 lakh range. Who won't go for the Germans at this price? You want performance? You have BMW. You want comfort? You have Mercedes Benz.

These Genesis cars will only be used to drive around the big bosses of Kia and Hyundai before they are scrapped or sold off. I don't see any market for them in India
Sabareesan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 08:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai should get this to India to showcase their capabilities and in turn change the perception of being only a budget player.
But from sales perspective this will not click as there would hardly be any buyers in India choosing this over Big 3. In that segment I would happily put money on BMW irrespective how good Genesis models will be.

Last edited by sunikkat : 28th July 2021 at 08:35.
Old 28th July 2021, 08:41   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesan View Post
The way I see it, a well established brand like Lexus struggles to sell its cars in India. A Lexus might be the 2nd or 3rd luxury car of someone who owns one of the flagship offerings of the big 3 German manufacturers.

Genesis makes amazing cars. No doubt. Will it have the same success as Kia? Definitely no. There are a huge percentage of people who go for the Audi A3 over the Skoda Superb or Octavia in the 35-40 lakh range, though Skoda offers better VFM.

Genesis will definitely not be close to the price point of, forget undercut, any of the Kia or Hyundai cars. This means the cheapest models will be in the 50-60 lakh range. Who won't go for the Germans at this price? You want performance? You have BMW. You want comfort? You have Mercedes Benz.

These Genesis cars will only be used to drive around the big bosses of Kia and Hyundai before they are scrapped or sold off. I don't see any market for them in India
I beg to differ. Germans have gotten so much more expensive. Today, a Gla costs 60 lakhs on road. If you want a v6 diesel, you have to shell out atleast 85 to 90 lakhs. If Genesis brings a v6 powered car for 60 lakhs, it will have many takers. If I have that much money, I will not even look at gla at 60 lakhs whether the badge belongs to benz Or even RR.

The reason why people buy A3 over cars like superb is because they will tell their friends and relatives that they bought an Audi. They won't mention A3. And not many common men know A3, A4, A6 etc. This is a disadvantage for Skoda but not for Genesis because the cheapest Skoda will be sub 10 lakh but the cheapest Genesis will still be 50 lakh plus.

Finally, the killer looks of Genesis cars alone can seal the deal. All of this is assuming Genesis cars are priced well but for that CBU taxes might play spoilsport.

Last edited by DonHyd : 28th July 2021 at 08:48.
DonHyd is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:13   #11
BHPian

The one thing that Genesis can sell their car on is Stellar Design. Their new cars dropdead gorgeous inside and out.

Honestly I like the interiors of the GV80 and GV70 more that the latest Mercs which seems to be overstyled inside with so many conflicting elements and overuse of moodlighting. But, they probably cannot beat the Germans when it comes to Material Quality on the interior.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:00   #12
BHPian

No matter how much value it provides ,it won’t matter when someone shells over 50lakh rupee.
First time buyers would definitely go for badge with that budget since many of them just made the budget to fulfil their dream of owning a luxury true luxury German brand of 3 .
Just like Maruti Suzuki can’t sell cars above 20lakh ,Hyundai won’t be able to sell cars over 50lakh mark.
Old 28th July 2021, 10:15   #13
BHPian

As other BHPians pointed out, if Kia can come with a 40 lakh MPV and sell it in decent numbers, I don't see a reason why Genesis if they price their cars competitively won't be able to pull it off here.

Genesis has some beautiful car designs, luxurious interiors, and a potent powertrain lineup. If Genesis comes with the GV80 and GV70 duo in our market and manages to price it competitively against the German trio then they can definitely be a runaway success.

On a side note-

The 2022 Genesis GV70 available on the Genesis US website has been priced below the BMW X3 and Mercedes-Benz GLC. In the US, the GV70 shares the same 2.5T and 3.5T engine from the GV80.

P.S.- 2.5T- 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-4 engine, 3.5T- 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine
Old 28th July 2021, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Call it a coincidence, but I had spotted the G80 sometime in Feb, when I had given my car for an accidental repair at Koncept Hyundai, Okhla. It had come for minor cosmetic tweaks and paint correction. I was told by the body shop GM that the car is supposed to be used by some top honcho of HMIL, as when the headquarter moves to Gurgaon.

This seems like the facelift, the one I had seen was the pre-facelift, and had a 3.8 V6 under the hood. I wasn't told of any plans of the Genesis being launched here. In all probability, this is a PR exercise, to inform/make Indians aware that Hyundai has a luxury division as well. Surely, not the first time a Genesis is seen here

Attaching some snaps below:

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesis-g80-side-profile.jpeg

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesis-g80-badge.jpeg

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesis-g80-rear.jpeg

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesis-g80-alloys.jpeg

Genesis G80 and GV80 showcased in India-genesis-g80-front.jpeg

Last edited by Utsav3010 : 28th July 2021 at 10:44.
Utsav3010 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:04   #15
BHPian

Is it just me or do both these cars looks fabulous?? Wow!!! They may be the halo cars that Hyundai can use to get an image boost
clementw is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks