Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 18:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift CNG spotted on test

If there were more CNG models and abundant filling stations across India then CNG vehicles will outcompete petrol or diesel in big cities. Many people are averse to the aftermarket route but company fitted CNG models will sell in huge numbers.

4% of all cars sold in FY 20 were CNG
6% of all cars sold in FY 21 were CNG, despite having few models on sale as compared to petrol or diesel.
With this rate, FY 22 percentage will be 9% and with more models, CNG models can easily sell in double digit percentages.

Most people use cars for commuting and are not enthusiasts like us here in this forum.

Last edited by Tucker48 : 27th July 2021 at 18:16.
Old 27th July 2021, 21:14   #17
BHPian

CNG cost advantage is nullified by some states by increasing taxes. It may lead to more sales in few sates where price is around Rs 50 but here in AP it is around Rs 70. I hardly notice any CNG vehicles, not even autos in kakinada. There are around 4 CNG pumps with zero waiting time. In fact you have to wait for saleman to come and fill. Slowly all states will increase taxes on CNG and then CNG fitted vehicle sales will go down like it is happening with diesel.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 22:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
CNG will NEVER take off in India in the private segment. This spurt is just temporary and due to petrol crossing the psychological 100-rupee / liter barrier.
Not true. I am from Faridabad (Delhi NCR), we had a santro cng (aftermarket installation) that we sold off in 2014 and replaced it with an alto cng (factory fitted). We also have a Diesel XUV500 for all our highway trips. A CNG hatchback is perfect for small city trips where you don't mind the lack of boot space and loss of power/torque. There is a huge market for CNG cars (among both private as well as commercials buyers in Delhi NCR). The cost of running is less than half and all buyers on a budget and decently high running prefer a CNG car. There are atleast 10 CNG filing stations in the near vicinity and wait times have reduced considerably. We will be replacing the XUV with an Innova Crysta in the next couple of months (10 year diesel rule) and I'll be more than happy to replace the alto with let's say a vitara brezza cng if maruti launches one. Also, there are atleast 10 CNG vehicles in my extended family (all for private use).
Kartikaygaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 00:16   #19
BHPian

The problem is the perceived down market perception for CNG which is the main reason people who can afford the highest variants will avoid CNG. Which in turn is probably the reason the manufacturers do not offer CNG in the highest variants.
Another reason is to keep the costs of the highest variants lower than the base models of the next model in their lineup.

I currently own an 8 year old dealer fitted CNG Hyundai i10 which is giving me absolutely no excuses to upgrade. It still starts in half a crank when engine is cold.
As someone rightly mentioned, as a city run about, it is cheaper than even my V-Strom 650 to run.

The issue with CNG is that there are people who either completely trust the technology or completely mistrust it, as a result, the number of people buying it remain limited to those who understand the tech.

I have not heard of that many direct CNG related accidents... which begs to ask the question, is CNG really that dangerous...
kosjam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 07:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You cannot change the way that the masses think. Not even Maruti can. The public has decided CNG isn't for them. Instead of wasting time on this, Maruti should bring out its BS6 1.5L diesel soon.

CNG demand from private owners is too tiny for any brand to bother with. A CNG Automatic model in the mid & top variants will at best sell in the double digits each month.
For better or for worse, Suzuki has decided that it's future lineup is going to consist of Next gen Gasoline ICs, CNGs, Hybrids and a smattering of EVs. I don't see a place for Diesel there. The local arm may push but Suzuki won't be making any investment for sure in terms of manpower and money in a technology that is increasingly riddled by scandals and is short term in nature.

Suzuki is looking to equip its entire line up right up to S Cross with CNG tech. It's a decision already made and is reaping benefits in this Covid period where oil prices have gone through the roof.

Another thing to remember is that increasingly Suzuki is being restricted to Tier 2 cities and rural markets which are typically choosy about splurging on high price items like cars and where brand reliability plays a big part. A low running cost is a big crowd puller for such markets, though I am not sure of CNG availability at those places.

Lastly, Diesel is not compatible with Mr .Gadkari's aims of 10-20% ethanol/ methanol blending too. With government looking more kindly at CNG comparitively, for a company like Suzuki which doesn't have great alternative powertrain expertise, CNG is the only answer.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

2 Cs will make people change:
1. Cost
2. Convenience

Undoubtedly, CNG has a decent cost advantage. But convenience? I know people who avoided purchasing CNG cars in Bangalore as filling stations & range both are limited. I don't know about NCR though.

Worldwide, I feel like CNG worlks only for buses, taxis, and autos.(where applicable)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks