Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 14:10   #1
BHPian

Cars that got almost everything right - if only

I can't help but wonder about a few cars, that got everything right, well almost, so much so that it literally hurts how perfect they would be if they had these, almost no-brainer elements. Maybe this shows the broader market perspective and manufacturers' priorities.

My picks are the

1. Tata Altroz - what a stunner of a car, if only, it had a proper AT, a torque converter would do, and the same engine tune as the Nexon, I mean TATA has both. Same with Nexon, the car is begging for a proper AT, and some refinement to its diesel motor, still proud of the direction TATA is taking, solid build, and overall packaging is great, long term, I am very confident in TATA, they deserve the success they have been seeing lately.

2. The Korean Twins - Why not build it slightly better? A new generation SUV that is here to stay a decade or longer, people are now aware of crash test norms, and just for the sake of principle, ethics, setting an example, they are obviously making good profits. Such great packaging otherwise. Just sigh.

3. The new Octavia - No panoramic sunroof, I mean come on, its obviously 3-4 lakhs overpriced, however, a car that is obviously near perfect when it comes to build, features, comfort, and fun to drive elements, how could they omit a feel-good feature when cars that cost 15 lakh rupees less have it, atleast in the L&K, a big sigh!

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd July 2021 at 18:09. Reason: Typo
autohead115 is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cars that got almost everything right - if only

Cars that got almost everything right - if only-ms-automatics.png
Image source: google images

Always wished for these three guys to get a conventional automatic like the CVT or TC (Torque Convertor). They make an excellent case as cars for city usage with the right proportions and dynamics. However the automatics offered on these are not what everyone wants. Sad fact is that on cars such as the swift, a conventional automatic is offered in international markets as well the next car up in the line such as the Baleno. Everything else is sheer practicality and makes a good value for money proposition with ease of mind ownership.
TrackDay is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:46   #3
BHPian

I think I'm on the same page with you. I purchased my KIA Seltos in December 2020. The crash tests came soon afterwards and I was awestruck. Hence after that, both my seltos and sonet are used only for the city commute. Both are top of the line GTX+ vehicles but we don't trust those cars anymore.

About the Octavia, I am a fervent VAG person. When the Octy came out a lot of people had their opinions on how a 30L+ sedan didn't have a sunroof which was pretty much a shocker to me also. However, I cannot find a reason to open the sunroof of my vehicles whenever I'm out on a drive. Sometimes in my Q5 after midnight only I used to open the sunroof but it just has no use. However, it does light up the cabin and I think it's beside the point for such a beautiful car. But having a sunroof is a nice feature and in a 30L+ car it will surely be missed.
speedfreak77 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Whenever this topic comes up, I can not help but think of Ford Endeavour. They seem to be getting one thing wrong in each iteration.

The previous generation Endeavour had the nice 3.2L, 5-cylinder engine. But then it had a 6-speed AT that was quite poor in its performance. Not just that it was slow and often could not find the best gear, it was also not very reliable.

In the current version of Endeavor, they gave the nice 10-speed AT, but removed the 3.2L engine option and gave only a 2.0, single-turbo engine. That was a terrible miss. Other than this, the Endeavour is a great vehicle. It has competent 4x4 hardware and it extremely capable on any kind of roads or off-roads, is has a quite comfortable ride on any road, looks great (has a timeless old school SUV looks), has great road presence and is quite well equipped with features and technology. If this current version had the 3.2L engine or the intentionally available 2.0 engine with bi-turbo, it would have been one amazing package! It got almost everything right - except that one thing in each generation!
Dr.AD is online now   (63) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 16:05   #5
BHPian

The one car which comes to my mind is Renault Duster. It had everything going for it, great 1.5 K9k Diesel engine, mechanically sorted, incredible ride quality, good looking, even had an AWD variant. But, it’s interiors left much to be desired.

The Nissan Kicks (didn’t have any AWD variant) tried to remedy that folly, however, it was a total market failure.
sahil624 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 18:04   #6
BHPian

Not an easy question to answer, but for me it would be Nexon. Only thing I donot like (for this segment) is AMT gearbox. Wish it had a Torque converter!

I donot want DCT when Tata has amazing TCs like the ones in Harrier, Hexa. Just plonk one in the Nexon and it would be the best car for me in this segment.

Had Sonet not been priced high, Nexon would be at no.2 spot.
Mynameis is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 18:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Always wished for these three guys to get a conventional automatic like the CVT or TC (Torque Convertor). They make an excellent case as cars for city usage with the right proportions and dynamics. However the automatics offered on these are not what everyone wants. Sad fact is that on cars such as the swift, a conventional automatic is offered in international markets as well the next car up in the line such as the Baleno. Everything else is sheer practicality and makes a good value for money proposition with ease of mind ownership.
The India Baleno already comes with a CVT option.
My relative owns one, and I have spent long time with the Car.
Frankly speaking, the CVT box on it is under-whelming.
abhishek46 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 19:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
I can't help but wonder about a few cars, that got everything right, well almost, so much so that it literally hurts how perfect they would be if they had these, almost no-brainer elements. Maybe this shows the broader market perspective and manufacturers' priorities.
!
Very simple answer for me. The facelift 8th generation civic with 170mm ground clearance. I would have never sold that car!!!

If only!
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 21:37   #9
BHPian

I’d say XUV300 with a TC.
Gem of an engine paired with a wrong transmission.
I heard there were rumours about it getting a TC.
SShandilya is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 23:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

BMW 3 series, everything is just perfect other than the terrible boot space due to space saver
sunikkat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 23:41   #11
BHPian

My Porsche macan 2020 though its a 2.0 model with sports chrono package, I don't miss power at all, as for daily driving in city or highway, it has enough power
Perfect size which makes it easy to take anywhere
Brand value
Mileage is also good around 7 kmpl
I think its perfect inside outside
its my daily driver
a4_attitude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 23:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Image source: google images

Always wished for these three guys to get a conventional automatic like the CVT or TC (Torque Convertor). ...Everything else is sheer practicality and makes a good value for money proposition with ease of mind ownership.
If you haven't tried the latest AMT, do try it. I was on the same bandwagon until I got my Ignis AMT. Except for the first few moments where I was like "Damn! AMT" when I used to feel gear shifts now I'm like "OK AMT, shift it" and modulate my throttle inputs and it obeys.

It's like learning a piano or swimming. You curse it only until you master it and then you won't complain much about it. If you have driven it few times and found it jerky then it's understandable. Also if you have made your mindset that AMT isn't good and keep driving with the same thinking without giving it much of a chance then too you won't like it.

And yes, TC and CVT are 1 lakh + expensive with lower fuel efficiency with TC, and very sensitive FE with CVT.

The A-star, Ritz, DZire 2nd gen petrol came with TC gearbox and hardly anyone bought it.
RavSam is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 23:56   #13
BHPian

If you are not talking about only current cars, Some cars in my list which were near perfect for that time

1. Ford Figo (1st gen) in India. For that time it had fantastic ride, handling, decent build and safety features. When it’s only other competition was Swift. It stayed on top of comparison tests for many years to come.

2. 2nd gen Skoda Superb. What it delivered for that price was unparalleled coupled with a great drive. Even this gen Skoda Superb too.

3. Ford Ecosport - Probably the most rounded car ever. So much so that it’s still holding on to being top of its class. When launched, it had a brilliant price, great safety, good feature list, top class ride, handling and build and good engines. Still yet to find an all rounder in its class I would recommend over the Ecosport. The only negative you could level was it’s limited legroom but the seat comfort and fantastic thigh support made up for a small family with kids and chauffeur driven on other days alike.

4. Current Mahindra Thar - Wrangler experience with better safety for 1/6th the price

5. BMW 330i lwb
6. BMW 340i xdrive
7. Ford Endeavour 3.2
8. Kia Carnival limousine (with the 3-4l discount)
9. Octavia rs

Most of these would classify as near perfect. If we are looking at the perfect car the top from that list would be Ecosport, Skoda Superb and 340i in that order.
spkrnh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 00:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

For me it is Honda Jazz!

Current version when they launched in 2015 - It had magic seats in top VX variant but they did not offer CVT in VX. V CVT had normal seats.

I was eagerly waiting for their face lift in 2018 for VX+CVT option, they offered the same variant, but removed magic seat from all variants

For me Jazz with bigger engine + CVT + magic seat is a perfect city (+occasional highway) car and they have this option in all other markets.

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th July 2021 at 00:32.
Latheesh is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 01:26   #15
One
BHPian

S Cross Petrol AT

So many great attributes, just a few misses to prevent it from being overall great:
1. Wonderful to drive in the city but for those rare moments when you feel like cornering, redlining, the 4-speed AT makes those possible thrills impossible. Must say though, people driving it in cities and cruising, they will find this gearbox excellent (it is extremely underrated in this forum)
2. Noise Insulation could be better considering the segment it plays in, this is true as low as 60-70 kmph.
3. A bit more modern lines on the exterior wouldn't hurt neither would things like sunroof.
One is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks