Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What type do you prefer?
Monocoque 231 59.54%
Body-on-frame 157 40.46%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 19:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Same price & same segment | Monocoque vs body-on-frame SUVs | Your choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Voted for BoF.
Reasons?

Let’s not make a new category of vehicles called Crossovers. It’s hatchback.
We have - Hatchback, Sedan, SUV , Coupé, Cabriolet, Roadster, pick up truck, Van and Limosine.
• I also hate the trend where every ‘SUVs’ have their badging written Boldly on the centre of boot or bonnet. Come on! Don’t try to be Toyota Land Cruiser or Range Rover.
No one has created the vehicle category 'crossover', the meaning of the word is simply a hybrid (cross) of two different things. In the case of pseudo SUVs which you seem to don't like, they are simply a cross between a hatchback (size and design) and an SUV (ground clearance and claddings). It's a different matter that manufacturers have twisted the meaning of SUVs.

Also, the Range Rovers are monocoque as well .

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 17th July 2021 at 19:44.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 21:11   #62
BHPian

BOF, RWD and Double wishbone suspension is recipe for comfort, isolation and king like driving position.

I suspect BOF SUVs are getting obsolete not because of the disadvantage but because of cost as monocoque with MacPherson strut was basically invented by Japanese to produce low cost cars for e.g. M800.

BOF SUV are rugged. Proof, Gurudongmar lake route, you will find only BOF SUVs.
Old 17th July 2021, 22:58   #63
BHPian

Today’s monocoque pseudo SUV’s are becoming more confident inspiring compared to traditional BOF SUV’s. I had taken my Ecosport to an uphill location with almost no road. I did take couple of hits in the belly and few instances of wheels getting locked in mud. With little bit of help and driving skills we could still reach the destination. All the by passers and truck drivers advised not to take the car. Since I had bunch of friends with me, we risked it thinking we must be able to pull out of any risky situation. I think today’s monocoque SUV’s can fit most use cases compared to the BOF SUV’s including mild off-roading. The only major advantage of the BOF SUV’s is the boot space and weight carrying capacity which is also being challenged now by the recent seven seating monocoque SUV’s.
Old 28th July 2021, 17:54   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile JLR`s not having any fun with TFL`s defender that is a constant source of embarrassment. This is perhaps the wrong way to do a crossover version of the good old Defender.

Old 30th July 2022, 08:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCool View Post
Today’s monocoque pseudo SUV’s are becoming more confident inspiring compared to traditional BOF SUV’s. I had taken my Ecosport to an uphill location with almost no road. I did take couple of hits in the belly and few instances of wheels getting locked in mud. With little bit of help and driving skills we could still reach the destination. All the by passers and truck drivers advised not to take the car. Since I had bunch of friends with me, we risked it thinking we must be able to pull out of any risky situation. I think today’s monocoque SUV’s can fit most use cases compared to the BOF SUV’s including mild off-roading. The only major advantage of the BOF SUV’s is the boot space and weight carrying capacity which is also being challenged now by the recent seven seating monocoque SUV’s.
Sorry to wake up this sleeping thread, but with the launch of the new ScorpioN letting out the BOF kitty to play in the monocoque dominated CSUV segment, I think this is still relevant and a good time to continue the discussion.

I have an Ecosport and had a similar experience. My boss had just left to a clients place which was at a hard to reach, jeep only location, and had forgotten some stuff behind, which I took as an opportunity to do some off-roading. They had taken a Trax Toofan or Cruiser or something which they assured was the only thing which would reach there. Our office car (Dzire) had previously gone there and got stuck and had to be pushed by us all. Anyway, I was able to get up there in a Breeze, and my boss was so fed up with the ride up there in the Trax that he immediately jumped into my car for the ride back.

I have felt that the Ecosport has been immensely reliable, and is still running perfectly fine on the original tyres suspension at 40K, with not even a squeak from the drivetrain. Now that the Ecosport and the Duster have passed on, are the remaining CUVs good enough to fill their shoes?
vivekgk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 09:51   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I have felt that the Ecosport has been immensely reliable, and is still running perfectly fine on the original tyres suspension at 40K, with not even a squeak from the drivetrain. Now that the Ecosport and the Duster have passed on, are the remaining CUVs good enough to fill their shoes?
In Isolation there are some aspects of either vehicle that is impressive, Ride quality for Duster and Hot Hatchback like handling in terms of Ecosport.

Buyers of today aren't ready to compromise everything for just one aspect of it, so out goes brands like these who couldn't cope up with the changing market conditions.

If you keep all brand bias aside and just drive a Kia Sonet or a Seltos for some time, you would understand how things have moved on. You do get some European stiffness and stability in the suspension at the same time the steering is India friendly, so is the gearing, clutch , engine response etc all this while keeping peaceful NVH levels inside.

PS: I do not own any of those products.
Old 30th July 2022, 10:23   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say depends. For example: when I got the Storme in 2013, the XUV500 was also available. But I liked the Storme, and got that.

While the BoF SUV's may have the advantage of easier repairs, most repairs are less intensive and involve fenders, bumpers. Hence monocoques and BoF vehicles are both at the same point from a repair probability perspective most of the times.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 10:32   #68
BHPian

Voted for Body on Frame. Unless I'm buying a 7/8 seat family hauler I will go for the Body on Frame SUV 90% of the time and even the most popular family hauler on the market the Innova Crysta is a BOF car. Ironically 2 of my top 3 SUV's under 1 crore (ex-showroom) are monocoque vehicles (Toyota Vellfire and KIA Carnival)

If I want handling and performance on the blacktop I'd rather get a sedan or hot hatch.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 30th July 2022 at 10:34.
Old 20th August 2022, 02:28   #69
BHPian

Voted BOF.
I have always chosen rather uncommon vehicles, be it My 2006 Karizma, 2012 Honda Brio, 2013 Vespa, 2016 Polo GT, 2020 La Bicicletta Scissor GT (electric cycle), Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 or recently booked ScorpioN.

There is a sea of monocoque vehicles on road, a BOF is still relatively rare. Also the macho factor associated with a BOF, which no monocoque seem to match.

Ofcourse, there are compromises to be made but who cares, as long as you love your vehicle. We have travelled in govt. buses with no windows, so comfort has definitely caught up.

I saw new Thar on road standing next to a GLS, it was the Thar which caught my eye. I came home and booked one, only to cancel upon news of upcoming ScorpioN.

I know my reasons are stupid and insane.
But as someone said "If you don’t look back after you park your car, you got the wrong car".
For me it will a butch BOF, although a first for me.
Indepth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 07:42   #70
BHPian

Grass is always greener on the other side. So far I have only driven monocoques, but always curious about the BOF.

I don’t like big vehicles, so if we get Jimny in a year or so, that could my real chance of owning a BOF, even though the hybrids and EVs are the de facto preferences for my next car. But I could make an exception for Jimny, such a cute car.
Old 13th March 2024, 16:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepth View Post
Voted BOF.
But as someone said "If you don’t look back after you park your car, you got the wrong car"
Loved this line! Owned the Thar for 3 years now and it never fails to catch my attention

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks