Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 07:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Car brands that should come to India

Not much to add to the list, but +1 for Alfa Romeo.

The Alfa Romeo 8C remains one of my favorites.

Most of the main stream brands have been covered already and as many forum members have mentioned, may not have much success.

Hope to see these car makers come in

Koenigsegg
Alfa Romeo
Pagani
Alpine
Seat
no_fear is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 09:39   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post
We have witnessed a steep growth in the demand for new cars in the last one year, despite of COVID. India being a developing country, I believe this demand will keep on increasing year-on-year. With the increase in demand, we should also have a proportional increase in choices.
I'm sorry but what steep demand for cars are we talking about here?

IIRC the reality is that the Indian car market hasn't really grown as per the dream numbers that were projected two decades ago. Some people continue to sell such stories for the next decade.

Read more here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ce-decade.html (Auto industry is a 'vast stagnant market' - India is stuck at 250000 cars / month since a decade)

It being stagnant would be the more correct word to describe growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post

Here is my wish list of global car brands that should come to India:
  • Mazda - A brand with a wide model range, most of which are already well suited to the Indian market. It is also that one Japanese brand that actually delivers exceptionally high quality interiors. The SKYACTIV Technology engines can go head-to-head with Honda’s iVTEC.
  • Subaru - The gold standard of AWD systems and the boxer engines. Enough said!

My post in 2019 from the Name a car which you want to be sold in India thread is valid for this thread as well. We now own a Mazda as well so I can say that with even more confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Wow! Subaru and Mazda have been mentioned quite a lot in this thread. Being a Subaru WRX owner I'm impressed.

Both these brands have bulletproof reliability across a wide range of vehicles. From two-seater coupes like the Miata and BRZ to FULL-SIZE SUVs like the CX-9 and Ascent, their range is expansive.

However, Subaru or Mazda would never enter the value-conscious Indian market. They are priced above Toyota and it would be impossible to price them competitively in India without compromising on quality.

You can drool how much ever you want on the WRX, WRX STI or Golf GTI. But what you don't realise is that their pricing overlaps the German Big3. WRX STI is priced close to the BMW 330i. A WRX needs to be serviced twice a year vs. a BMW 330i that needs annual service. The BMW 330i on BSI plan actually costs lesser to service.

BMW couldn't sell the 330i in respectable numbers in India and we want Subaru to sell the WRX in India?

Anyways, my contribution to the thread is the Swift Sport. A FTD turbo-petrol hatch with manual and automatic transmission options at around 15L sold and serviced by the expansive and reliable Maruti Suzuki network. I guess that's a more reasonable expectation.

I am tempted to say Tesla Model 3 but perhaps after 5 years.
For the immediate future India doesn't need more brands but needs the existing brands to improve their offerings and value in every which way. But they'll point out the stagnant market as an excuse. Damn the catch-22 situation.

For the long term I think the Chinese and Koreans have shown intent that they are ambitious and I guess they'll be more prominent in the next ten years. One should actually be looking at Chinese automakers with a large footprint on EVs and Hybrids. This is of course subject to a cordial political climate.

Last edited by kiku007 : 14th July 2021 at 09:41.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 12:13   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

More than new brands, I just hope that the existing brands stay in India and business becomes more viable for them. When 2 players control 70% of the market (soon Maruti + Hyundai-Kia might have 80%), everyone else has to fight for scraps. I still feel terrible about GM leaving India and it's no secret that Ford is thinking of an exit (50% probability IMHO). VW has already stepped back on its India ambitions. Please please please, none of the existing brands should leave India.

In terms of new brands, I am actually surprised that Citroen even came here. The C5 AirCross is a lovely car, but the French know zilch about marketing in India. Doubt they will find the business weather to be pleasant.

The one brand I am MOST looking forward to is Tesla . EVs that are absolutely stunning to drive, while the overall experience is very Apple-like (software, showrooms etc.). And like Apple & Jobs, Tesla also has an iconic leader + spokesperson in Musk.

Mazda? Too small. They don't have money to burn and I doubt it will come to India. On the other hand, I foresee a whole lot of Chinese electric carmakers coming and setting up shop here.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 12:18   #34
BHPian

I wish NIO (https://www.nio.com/) comes to India and brings some economical EVs to India. Chinese EV makers are already making an impact on sales numbers in Europe and I am sure value drives cost-sensitive market like ours will embrace them (except the political angle which may be discouraging). I am happy to see some BYD mules on road getting reported.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 14th July 2021 at 12:19.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 13:00   #35
BHPian

More than the arrival of new brands those brands present in India need to step up. Toyota and Honda are clear examples of having been very slow in any introductions and in fact slowly diluting their products over time. The same is the case with almost every international car brand that has set foot in our country. I do not see the point of making a wish list when we are struggling to hold on to those who had previously invested here.

The best case scenario would be if the existing brands and a few new ones can eat into a large portion of the market share of the top two. That would do wonders to our market in general.

I truly wish Ford doesn't pack up but instead dig in their heels and push forward with a slew of their products. Of the lot, I wish Subaru makes an entry. I loved the Outback when I drove it in the US. It would be the ideal size in India.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:26   #36
BHPian

For record sake we once had a Subaru sold in India, albeit under the guise of a Chevrolet.

Remember the Forester, behind the Chevy logo it was a full bred Subaru with a Flat-4 boxer engine and a AWD.

Knew a person who owned it and he swore by this beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Car brands that should come to India-subaru.png  

Gaur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 15:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
For record sake we once had a Subaru sold in India, albeit under the guise of a Chevrolet.

Remember the Forester, behind the Chevy logo it was a full bred Subaru with a Flat-4 boxer engine and a AWD.

Knew a person who owned it and he swore by this beauty.
Yes, we briefly had Subaru in India under Chevy’s disguise. It is extremely rare to find.

Back then GM used to have a shareholding in Subaru, this it was possible.
Old 14th July 2021, 15:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

MG & KIA are examples of how to introduce a new brand to the market.

The two of them are not entirely new, One existed as Chevrolet earlier and probably learned their lessons , the other in the form of Hyundai is successful in conceding defeat in the mass market and then herded the market leader Maruti back into their original purpose - that of basic mobility.

The opposite end is Citroen - they may as well introduce a washing machine and sell it through their stores.

The brand I would like to see in India is GWM \ Great Wall Motors, their portfolio is interesting and will suit the growing SUV segment, bring in some fierce competition and makes sure all others upgrade their product line.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Not much to add to the list, but +1 for Alfa Romeo.
Well, based on many years of first hand experience, Alfa Romeo dealers would outdo the typical Indian car dealer with providing poor after sales, no service and never any parts in stock. That’s how it is in Europe, including their home country Italy.

So I can only imagine what the service at a future Indian Alfa Romeo Dealership would look like.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:16   #40
BHPian

I think this has been stated much in the thread, but again I feel that the current manufacturers are not putting up their larger portfolio in India. With the "run to the SUV" syndrome, which is actually more of pseudo SUV, we seem to be losing out on a lot of sedans and hot hatches

FIAT - Where did the Abarth go?
Ford - Where are the Escape and the Fusion although now I do believe they are all EV. Ford seems to be stuck in a loop of makeovers. Literally beating the horse (still not a dead one)
VAG group - Seems to be moving slowly and steadily getting vehicles into the Indian automotive market. There is a huge space in the sedan market which I think is now open for a good fight with EV. Am sure when Tesla comes in the fight is going to heat up

Unfortunately with the exit of GM, a whole host of cars have now gone begging. Chevrolet had an impressive lineup in India. Will they ever get back?

I would love to see some of these groups come through with their larger portfolio and of course Subaru (not that it nearly rhymes with my name)
subraiyr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 19:20   #41
BHPian

Surprised that nobody is talking about the performance end of the spectrum. Dodge has some really good cars - especially the Durango - which can compete with the premium Audis and BMWs in terms of both - price and performance.
They can share the existing infrastructure that is being used by Jeep and find some takers - albeit in limited numbers.
(If Ford can sell the Mustang here, why can't we have the Dodge Charger )
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 21:27   #42
BHPian

One and only TESLA. I don't think we are missing any other mass market brands or their offerings.

On another note, there should be a poll added to this question to understand which all brands are being missed by this community.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 08:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
providing poor after sales, no service and never any parts in stock....... service at a future Indian Alfa Romeo Dealership would look like.
A match made in heaven. Existing foreign brands in India dole out the same poor service levels, so Alfa can easily survive here without striving for excellence.
Old 15th July 2021, 08:49   #44
BHPian

Like many have already echoed, frankly if existing players can bring better offerings within their portfolio to our shores, that should be enough to cater to our quality starved market. Fiat, Jeep to expand (Jeep I cannot believe haven't launched Renegade here after initial runaway success of the Compass!! That would have killed Hyundai twins in true measure if launched even at a lakh premium!) Fiat has some amazing cars. Toyota and Honda I just don't get! Either launch sub-par products at nonsensical premium (Civic with THAT engine? The 1.4 diesel on Corolla!!! The pricing of the CRV!) And simply won't launch many cars that can take the market by storm...

Ford also tasted brilliant success with all their cars - Fiesta had a reasonable tick. Figos abound. Ecosport still runs! Endeavour is gaining. I wonder if there's a lesson there. Get good product!
Annibaddh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 08:54   #45
BHPian

All I want is Mitsubishi to make a comeback and make use of their Alliance partner's CMFA platform and their Chennai plant to relaunch some new version of Pajero's and Outlanders.

Or a new lancer to bring back the sedan culture?

Car brands that should come to India-466960etsilamitsubishilancerevolutionressuscitaitcommececi.jpg
starke is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks