Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2021, 08:59   #31
BHPian

Re: June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
When will the management exits start hurting them though?
Probably time is not ripe yet. Few exits will hardly dent any Tata company. They have deep expertise across domain, senior management is moved from across Tata organisation if needed. Unless there is deep crisis in a Tata organisation, it is unlikely that unit will get hurt.
abhijet.sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 09:38   #32
BHPian

Honda desperately needs a small hatch like Brio and they should even reintroduce the base variants of Jazz. Even Ford is selling more than Honda. Honda will be increasing the prices next month, this will bring the sales even down.

Need to wait and watch if Alcazar can dent Toyota's sales in people mover category

Last edited by rahulskumar : 9th July 2021 at 09:42.
Old 9th July 2021, 11:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post
What surprises me is that Hyundai with all right product launches and being a dominant player in SUV segment, still has the same market share since 2015. I guess they have gained market share in terms of value of the goods sold rather than quantity. Hyundai + KIA however gained ~6% in total

Also while TATA's progress is good, they are just taking back their lost share from earlier part of the decade. I believe they always were a decent player between 2005 to 2012-2013.

Honda, Toyota, Ford and Mahindra pretty much everyone has lost the share. Honda is just letting slip away all the good will and hard work they have been doing in India since early 2000's
Hyundai is able to maintain its market share only because of the amazing SUV launches and the focus they have given to this segment. In the sub 10 lakh segment of the market, Maruti has a stranglehold and even a Renault Kwid which initially was selling almost 10k numbers a month was shown its place when Maruti brought in the S-Presso.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-kwid-vs-spresso.png

Maruti rules 60% of the market in the 5-10 lakh price bracket today. BTW it was 46% a decade ago and Hyundai then had 31% of this market. Today Hyundai has only 17% of this market. Very telling right? Also, remember a decade ago the sub 10 lakh car market was a whopping 80% of the entire market. Today it is around 56%. A lot of the market is gravitating to the 10-20 lakh bracket and the Korean twins are doing their business mostly in this price range today. Maruti is the unbeatable king in the sub 10 lakh range and is holding on well in the 10-15 lakh range courtesy of just two products, the Ertiga/XL6, and the Brezza. As more of the market starts shifting northwards, Maruti's market share will continue to shrink as it has done in the past year by a huge 5% points from 50% to around 45%

So in the months quarters and years to come Hyundai and Kia should logically tighten their grip on the market until and unless the most promising group right now (you may disagree with me on this judgment), the Tatas bring in more exciting products in the 4 meter and mid sized SUV segements along with the elephant in the room (Electric Vehicles again where the Tatas have shown maximum leadership)

Yes, Honda is the biggest disappointment around along with Ford which is slowly slipping away into oblivion.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2021 at 14:10. Reason: spacing for improved readability
niranjanprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:03   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Add 5200 cars (Glanza and Urban Cruiser) sold by Toyota to Maruti's numbers (as those are their cars only) and their market share crosses 50% mark. Really amazing to hold that much market share year on year when so much competition is there. Kudos to them!

Tata doing really great. Their numbers are really good now. Good to see Tata selling Harrier + Safari combo in good numbers. HBX will certain help in gaining more numbers for them. Hope Tata will sort all things in version 1.0 only while launching. All the best to Tata.

Nothing great happening for Toyota, Honda, Ford, VW, Renault, Mahindra etc. Nissan is doing some good numbers with Magnite but not sure how much only one car will help them running operations in India and how long.

Mahindra should launch XUV700 with good price, they badly need it to succeed. They should learn few things from Tata. In last 3 years Tata has revived themselves a lot, got some really cool products.

Ertiga + XL6 now selling 4 times than Innova. Clearly people finding value for money in Ertiga. Lot of people want to buy Innova but seeing steep price, they just returns from showroom.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This just happened some days ago...they just want that thing.
Other cars that I think I can add to this list are:
Alto, Wagon R and Honda City

Alto & Wagon R: I have seen a LOT of them buy it blindfolded. First car to learn? Alto it is. Budget car for small family and elderly? Wagon R it is!

Honda City: I worked at a Honda Dealership and customers would just call over the phone, ask for details check waiting period and book it. So much so that we had just Rs.300 as an incentive for selling Honda City! I was taken aback! Some people even would have paid extra but was against the company policy.

Majority of them were repeat Honda City or Honda Brand customers. Also amongst them were the German car buyers who went from Japanese to German to Japanese back again for their own reasons.

Till few years back even Swift Dzire was like that. We used to lose a lot of Honda Amaze customers to DZire because of the then Amaze's barebones interior.
RavSam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 13:14   #36
BHPian

What is shocking is how much car prices have been increased in the past few years few years for the mid range vehicles. While we have some great values now such as the Seltos and the new Creta as well as the Sonnet, the prices for cars like the i20 are atrocious. I remember almost buying the i20 Asta O automatic which came with 6 airbags in 2015 for around 7.2 lakhs on road after some discounts. Yesterday I visited a Hyundai showroom and was appalled to learn that the 6 airbag option now costs 13 plus lakhs! So the price has practically doubled in 7 years and all we now get is a larger display screen. Seems unreasonable as you can get a fully loaded Sonnet or a lower end Seltos for the same price. Even Hyundai’s own Creta starts around that price and is a a much better vehicle. So currently the best value is provided by the 15 to 20 lakhs segment where you can choose between the Sonnet, Seltos, Creta, Harrier, Safari, Kushaq etc. All come with large display screens, 6 airbags, ESC, LED lights and ventilated seats except the Harrier.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 13:45   #37

NOTE FROM TEAM-BHP SUPPORT: POST DELETED- Please avoid posting one-liners that add little/no value to the thread. Kindly read the Announcements carefully before proceeding. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2021 at 14:13. Reason: Original post: Nice to see the Ford Endeavor outselling the overpriced Fortuner.
MikeRX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 15:28   #38
BHPian

The success of scorpio amazes me beyond words. There is not a single area except may be engine where scorpio excels. It's crash rating could be the lowest for it's segment/price. The looks are pathetic. Interior space in every row is pathetic. Soft touch materials? Precise build? What are they? Xuv 500 is at least 10 times better in my books. And yet scorpio sells 4-5 times more? God bless reason. In fact I would love to see such loyalty towards really good cars like the Hexa.

Last edited by DonHyd : 9th July 2021 at 15:30.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle retail sales rise by 22.62% (YoY) in June 2021

According to data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), Vehicle Retail sales went up by 22.62% in June 2021 compared to the same month last year. All vehicle categories registered YoY growth as lockdown restrictions were eased in the country.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

Overall sales for the month of June 2021 stood at 12,17,151 units, compared to 9,92,610 units in June 2020. However, compared to June 2019, when 16,98,005 units were sold, total vehicle retails have fallen by 28.32%.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

The tractor segment registered a growth of 14.27% in June 2021. 52,261 units were sold as opposed to 45,735 in June 2020.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Two-wheeler sales increased by 16.90% to 9,30,324 units from 7,95,819 units in June 2020.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Three-wheeler sales were up by 21.98% YoY. 14,732 units were sold compared to 12,077 units in June 2020.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

Passenger vehicle sales increased by 43.45% compared to the previous year. 1,84,134 units were sold compared to 1,28,360 units in June 2020.

June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

Commercial vehicle sales increased by 236.19%. 35,700 units were sold in June 2021 compared to 10,619 units in June 2020.
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:47   #40
BHPian

Citroen launched its first product, C5 Aircross, in April 21. However, sales numbers are shown during June-20 to November-20 against Citroen. Am I missing something?
Old 10th July 2021, 09:11   #41
Kln
BHPian

Honda India on ventilatory support. Sad to see -- the Jazz and City are excellent cars in themselves. The pricing is killing them. City is doing well inspite of Honda's best efforts not because of them. The WRV, hot favourite of many tier 1 and tier 2 cities "older" populations and moms, desperately needs a solid petrol engine.

The ignis is the silent underdog in MSIL's stable - doing consistent numbers since many months now. And deservedly so, it's a well built, last of its kind tallboy design small hatch cars.

Citroen selling 40 odd cars per month -- intentional or a sign of a overpriced old model? The car looks good but can't deny that it is overpriced by at least 5 lakhs.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 09:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Just thinking whether the Thar should now be moved to the C2 Segment graph from the UV Segment graph?

I see no cross-shopping happening between the other mentioned products in its category. It has now become more expensive and has more 'Lifestyle' appeal when compared to these 'UV Segment vehicles'.

• Ertiga
  • Eeco
  • Bolero
  • XL6
  • Triber
  • Marazzo
  • Go+
I was always under the impression that the 'Utility Segment' includes cars which cannot be classified in any other segment.

I think apart from the Bolero and Eeco, all the other cars can be categorized in the other traditional segments. We already have the Innova and other crossovers categorized in different segments.

The Go+ and Triber can be added to the C1 Segment. The Ertiga, XL6 and Marazzo can be added to the C2 Segment.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 22:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
And so do the customers as well...
Often like :
I want a scorpio, lemme head to Mahindra showroom.
At showroom: Here’s the cheque, I want a white/black scorpio.
End Of Scorpio purchase process..
Good observation and I'm one such that who bought one 6 months ago. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
It's crash rating could be the lowest for it's segment/price.
Well, that is a proportional thing, isn't it? Having low crash rating may not be directly proportional to getting involved into crashes and being victims of poor crash rating. Should bring in several factors into the equation - No of crashes v/s No of fatalities/Injuries. How many Scorpio fatal crashes could you count up to, that you have heard of off late. I am sure you could count more XUV (or any other..) related fatalities/injuries than that of Scorpios. At least I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
The looks are pathetic.
Quite subjective.

Eulogy turning into off-topic. Need to stop here I believe.
Old 11th July 2021, 04:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
What is shocking is how much car prices have been increased in the past few years few years for the mid range vehicles. So currently the best value is provided by the 15 to 20 lakhs segment where you can choose between the Sonnet, Seltos, Creta, Harrier, Safari, Kushaq etc. All come with large display screens, 6 airbags, ESC, LED lights and ventilated seats except the Harrier.
If you ask me, the car with one of the best VFM propositions is the Renault Triber. As a 5 seater with luggage space, and option of 4 airbags, and a certified safety score, its unmatched. Even as a occasional 7 seater, it may fare well in the urban confines.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 09:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Good observation and I'm one such that who bought one 6 months ago. .

Well, that is a proportional thing, isn't it? Having low crash rating may not be directly proportional to getting involved into crashes and being victims of poor crash rating. Should bring in several factors into the equation - No of crashes v/s No of fatalities/Injuries. How many Scorpio fatal crashes could you count up to, that you have heard of off late. I am sure you could count more XUV (or any other..) related fatalities/injuries than that of Scorpios. At least I can.

Quite subjective.

Eulogy turning into off-topic. Need to stop here I believe.
If you are a happy owner of Scorpio, well and good. Happy motoring for you. My post was not meant to offend anyone, neither was it to demean Scorpio. I just wanted to know the X-factor in Scorpio which is attracting such fierce loyalty even after nearly 20 years after launch.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks