Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 11:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India

It reminded me of Matt LeBlac's review of a similar looking Russian Amphibious vehicle. As usual, it was a sarcastic comment on the Russian Automotive industry in general. The target audience is definitely the Armed forces or perhaps the odd Bollywood biggie who buy such things just for the kicks. Anyway, its not menacing enough to qualify as a Hummer competitor. Not one of my Fav rides.
Old 7th July 2021, 16:40   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Service temperature limit of +40deg C might limit its deployment in many parts of country. -40 deg C lower limit is suitable for Northern, North-Western & Ladakh borders.
That limits Ladakh usage to 8 months - 4 months parked under shed.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th July 2021 at 20:07. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 09:32   #18
BHPian

I am guessing it can be used for deployment in Arunachal Pradesh along the border with China. Our neighbor has been fingering in that area a bit too much, so a show of power + fast troop movement is much needed, and this is the right tool for the job.
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:29   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

EVO India has reviewed it

About the engine

Quote:
Doosan diesel engine powers the Sherp UTV

You want a reliable engine you go to Japan. That’s what Sherp did, and they’ve installed a Doosan D18 diesel engine. It’s a compact three-cylinder 1.5-litre engine that doesn’t take much space and is extremely reliable, optimised to work from minus 40 to plus 40 degrees. Max power is 55bhp and max torque is 190Nm, but this machine is not about speed as we will soon find out.

It has a 95 litre main tank plus four fuel canisters of 58 litres each giving it a total capacity of 232 litres and an operating range of 61 hours. Average consumption per hour is 5 to 8 litres, which gives it a range of 14 hours on the main tank. And since it can tilt to crazy 35 degree angles, to prevent fuel starvation there’s a small tank above the engine to make sure fuel always goes to the engine.

I must point out the location of the auxiliary tanks. They are mounted in the deep dish of the wheel hub!

The warranty is 3000 hours or 3 years for the Doosan engine and it is mated to a Renault JR5 gearbox 6-speed manual gearbox with extremely low ratios. So low you start off in second gear.
More details:
https://www.evoindia.com/driven/sher...der-that-swims
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
. Anyway, its not menacing enough to qualify as a Hummer competitor. Not one of my Fav rides.
Can argue with you about the looks , capability wise it will get to places that would make a humvee blush
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 17:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
This is perfect for our roads be it the craters, stones, floods etc. Why bother building roads when you have one of these I say bring them on and price it competitively. Just don't forget to give it the panoramic sunroof and a huge touchscreen in the center
Attachment 2175586
Image source: https://sherp.global/sherp-n/
[/center]
If they could just reduce the length by 2mm, this will even be eligible for the sub 4m excise benefits!
The perfect CSUV for our roads then
thechinmay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
.... All-terrain vehicles like this:
OT, but that looks like the Bandvagn Viking, built by BAE Hagglunds. Its really a bad ass vehicle which has been proven in terrain ranging from Antarctica to Afganistan. Don't remember the show where I saw it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Service temperature limit of +40deg C might limit its deployment in many parts of country. -40 deg C lower limit is suitable for Northern, North-Western & Ladakh borders.
Coming back to the Sherp, It is clearly designed to be a Siberian conquerer i.e. to be unstoppable over loose terrain like marshlands and soft snow. Although that would also suggest the Sherp should be equally good over sand; but the upper service temp ceiling of 40 deg C is a dead giveaway. I wonder why they bothered to come to India's hot tropical climate, where it might just roast its occupants to death.

Beyond the novelty of having some fun over slush, I don't see much of a market for this thing here. Military applications can also be safely ruled out, as addition of armor plating (key requirement for personnel carriers) would adversely affect performance with the significant weight gain.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 08:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
... It is clearly designed to be a Siberian conquerer i.e. to be unstoppable over loose terrain like marshlands and soft snow. Although that would also suggest the Sherp should be equally good over sand; but the upper service temp ceiling of 40 deg C is a dead giveaway...
It may get into trouble with that operating temperature ceiling even in Siberia, given the recent trends where peak land temperature is reaching 40 deg C.
https://www.cnet.com/news/surface-te...g-118-degrees/
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 13:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Holy moly! This is THE ultimate "go anywhere" vehicle in the literal sense

I'd love to own one and deck it up with decals like this

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-decal.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
But who is the target audience for this?
As quoted by Sirish Chandra (EVO India):

Quote:
Where will it be used? Disaster relief, especially flooded areas where the Sherp will be able to carry rescue teams plus all their equipment to the heart of the affected areas. These are places where the roads would have been washed out, where rescue teams would have to trek over battered terrain and then use boats over the flooded waters, with all their equipment carried on their backs or mule-backs. The Sherp is the only vehicle that can go over boulders and rocky debris of the floods while also swimming through the flood waters until helicopters, grounded due to the rains, can take off. With 61 hours of range it can be pressed into non-stop service. It can be used for patrolling remote border regions, current conflict zones where troops trek to their remote posts again with their supplies on their backs, high altitude regions where helicopters cannot work. The Sherp can function as a rapid troop and equipment carrier to remote border outposts. It can be bullet-proofed and used for anti-terror operations. Can be armed and used in border patrolling in marshy, sandy, obstacle ridden areas. It can also use used in oil exploration, carving out new roads, treacherous mines, and other extreme civilian applications. This isn’t a recreational vehicle. It’s an ultimate terrain vehicle.
With a payload of 1,200 kg, it can easily carry 6-7 jawans/rescue workers along with relevant equipment! The applications can be endless. Only Russians can make such a damn thing!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 18:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Absolutely fascinating machines! Can't even recall how many videos of Sherp I have watched on Youtube.
Looks like a fun go-anywhere vehicle. Reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson riding a Marauder on road. Waiting to see someone doing that in India.
Old 9th July 2021, 19:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Russia-based Sherp is known to build some of the most capable all-terrain vehicles in the world. Now, it seems the company is planning to introduce their products in India.
Sherp is an Ukrainian company but it's designer is Russian.
Also Evo has mentioned about the engine:
Quote:
You want a reliable engine you go to Japan. That’s what Sherp did, and they’ve installed a Doosan D18 diesel engine.
Doosan is a South Korean company not Japanese. These are the specifications of the D18 engine:
Attached Thumbnails
Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-screenshot_20210709195021.png  

Old 12th July 2021, 09:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Vineet Mishra for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I am a third-year engineering grad at NSIT, New Delhi. Recently I saw a thread regarding the mighty off-roader SHERP which is currently in India. I drove to the event and I have some pictures which you might use so that more people would get to know about this obscure vehicle.

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp1.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp2.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp3.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp4.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp5.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp6.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp7.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp8.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp9.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp10.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp11.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp12.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp13.jpg

Sherp amphibious vehicles spotted in India-sherp14.jpg
RahulNagaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

Applications can vary from off-road fun, rescue, mining, defence, and so on. The only limiting factor for general public access will be the price. I think they retail for USD100K in the US (not sure)

Sir
You missed the obvious- normal city roads of India. Not to mentions roads of Mumbai and Kolkata in rains
Old 13th July 2021, 13:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sherp N 1200 driven by EvoIndia

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks