Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 15:52   #1

Tata Harrier XZA+ problems & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving them

Hi all,

I am starting this thread to highlight the build quality issues that I am facing in my Harrier XZA+ 2020 (BS6) model. I will focus more on the unprofessionalism shown by the Tata Motors dealership (3rd point escalation person of the dealership, Centralised Customer Care team, Customer Care western region head, and the Tata Motors Customer Care head) in helping to resolve these issues.

I started raising complaints about various issues from the 3rd day after the delivery of the car around 20th November 2020. Getting them accepted as issues/problems was/is like trying to book a tatkal ticket from IRCTC during the festive season! If it was a 'Harrier Product' issue, then I had to get it compared with another car with the same model and had to deliberate to get them accepted. And if it was related to the Visteon infotainment, then I had to share video evidence with proof that this behaviour is seen to get it accepted! A huge challenge. I am providing a list of issues/problems that I have raised along with the video evidence. The 'Harrier Product' which I have mentioned here means Harrier without the infotainment system. According to Tata Motors, the infotainment system is from a 3rd party vendor and it is not considered as part of the Harrier Product. This means that for any issue related to the infotainment system, Tata Motors won't take any responsibility. The end customer has to fight to get it resolved!

In total, I have raised 25 issues out of which, 19 are related to the infotainment system and the rest are related to the Harrier Product. I have been told many times, "Sir, only you are facing the problem. No one else is complaining from all over India. And these issues are not happening all the time. You can manage with them. Why raise the issue?" The list is as below. I request everyone to let me know if you have faced any of the listed issues so that I can show them that the issues are universal and not related to just one car or one person.

Some of the reasons/justifications that I was given over a call to me by the dealership and/or 3rd point escalation of the dealership and/or Mount Electronics (vendor responsible for customer engagement from Visteon) for the infotainment issues are as below.

i. On raising complaints on the quality of the infotainment system to the Tata 3rd Point escalation person -> They are a 3rd party TML Vendor and any issue related to its quality should be raised to them.

ii. On raising why frequent software upgrades are required for each Android update to the Tata 3rd Point escalation person -> We strive to provide the best possible customer experience.

iii. On raising why the music system was not playing songs properly 4 out of 10 times to the Mount Electronics Pune executive -> It is accepted behaviour of the infotainment system, so it cannot be considered as an issue.

iv. On observing the issues, fixed in the previous versions, again in the new version to Mount Electronics Chennai executive -> Proper testing was not done as a new version had to be delivered for the Safari launch!

v. On raising infotainment quality issues due to untested software delivery to the Tata 3rd Point Escalation Person -> It is a 3rd party TML Vendor and any issue related to its quality should be raised to them.

When I lost patience with the dealership, Visteon, Mount Electronics, and the Tata 3rd Point Escalation person, I started escalating/contacting different persons/teams of Tata Motors. Here is how they 'helped' me.

i. Raised a ticket with Tata Central CustomerCare (customercare@tatamotors.com) -> They asked the same dealership, against which I had complained to them, to look into the issue. They closed the ticket immediately after the dealership accepted the ticket. Saying this is the defined process that when the dealership accepts an issue the ticket is deemed resolved. They don't bother with resolving the customer's issue.

ii. Tried contacting the West Zone Pune office, but the contact number provided does not exist.

iii. Contacted Western region customer care head -> I am still waiting for a response/action from him!! Seems to be a master in missing emails or working in the background. He is part of the email chain in which I am raising all the issues since Jan 2021 and he is yet to react.

iv. Contacted Tata Motors Customer Care head -> Sent two emails to him. It made the people work for a few weeks. After that, everything was back to normal. The last time I contacted him was on 29th May 2021. Now, after 6 weeks, the 3rd point escalation person is back to his original working style of ignoring/avoiding emails or not providing relevant updates. I am not sure what organisation structure he is following, but every time his chain of command has asked the same person against whom I have escalated matters, to look into my issues. How will he resolve the problem?

ISSUE LIST IS ATTACHED IN THE FORM OF PDF, Also providing list below

Tata Harrier Issue List_05Jul2021.pdf

Issue no: Issue description

1: Brakes making a big noise when applied, giving a truck-like feel!*

2: Hard Steering

3: Hard horn, the horn was not working

4: Android Auto not connecting

5: Call logs not appearing in Android Auto

6: Not able to make calls through Android Auto

7: Not able to answer calls through Android Auto

8: The infotainment system is not able to connect to Android Auto even if the phone says that Android Auto is connected.*

9: The keyless key alerting system not working properly. It gives beep alerts even if all the doors, lights, and engine is shut

10: The car is not starting as the brake pedal pressed alert is not read by the system. It keeps showing the message 'press the brake to start the car'

11: USB port has a loose connection

12: Infotainment system hangs when I try to make a call using Android Auto.

13: Steering audio control doesn’t work after I try to make a call using Android Auto

14: Reverse parking sensors stop working after I try to make a call using Android Auto

15: Music system not working

16: Reverse parking video assist did not show the impact alerts, the car's turning the image, etc.

17: Bluetooth audio is not playing songs

18: Android Auto shows an error that 'Bluetooth is not connected' while making a call

19: Song is getting interrupted or stops for a second when starting the car

20: Song is being played with constant breakage or distortion or interruption when the car is in motion

21: Infotainment system is not playing songs through Bluetooth audio

22: Not able to delete paired devices

23: Bluetooth performance issue - taking almost 40 seconds to connect

24: Bluetooth connection - Not able to connect another phone

25: Bluetooth Device Pairing - Not able to search phone

P.S.: Affixing 'vocal for local' sticker on the read windshield will help you sell a few more units, but to win the race, you need to improve the quality and win the trust of your customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th July 2021 at 12:34. Reason: Hindi to English translation and fixed typos, Grammar
kaushal-pandya is offline   (105) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:32   #2
BHPian

Re: TATA Harrier XZA+ Build Quality Issues and Unprofessional Behavior by TATA Motors in Resolving t

Feels like you have a real lemon of an infotainment system installed in your Harrier. Harrier owners on the forum can shed some light on this and let us know if all these issues are common or not.

Have seen the usb loose connection issue in a fellow owner’s Hexa. The module was changed under warranty. Other than that the mechanical issues seem to have been resolved. Still, shouldn’t have faced the same in the first place. Feels like one needs to let Tata sell any new model for a solid 2-3 years to iron out niggles.

And the less we talk about Tata’s customer support and regional CRMs the better. They are as useless as they come. Also feel your dealer is equally culpable and has not shown any inclination to solve the issues and keep you calm. A thread on the forum and saying unsavoury stuff on Twitter is the only way to gain the attention of Tata’s higher ups.

Earlier versions of Tata’s service app had an option of lodging a complaint against the dealer and apparently the higher ups used to get notified of the same. This has now been removed. Cannot understand why.

Tata, if you’re reading this thread, seriously get your act together. This is just not how you treat your premium customers.
TROOPER is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:58   #3
BHPian

Re: TATA Harrier XZA+ Build Quality Issues and Unprofessional Behavior by TATA Motors in Resolving t

I think providing the software version of your infotainment system will help you to get proper replies in the forum.

Also are you trying to connect to android auto using cable or wireless?

Last edited by manson : 28th July 2022 at 08:48.
Old 5th July 2021, 18:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal-pandya View Post
This means that for any issue related to the infotainment system, TATA Motors won't take any ownership!!! The end customer has to fight to get them resolved!!
This is really shocking. Have heard such reasoning for batteries and tires, but this is new (idiotic) level of irresponsible approach towards customers. Such response makes me think thrice before opting for or recommending Tata vehicles.

I have shared link to this thread to some contacts in Tata Motors with hope it'll be escalated internally.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:29   #5

https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ne...-scam-key-fob/

This is another issue I came across in another blog. Seems like Tata motors skipped on due diligence on selecting its dealerships. Even a few personal acquaintances have narrated horrible encounters during their regular services. It seems like they sell cars as if they are selling daily consumables: sell and forget. Sad.
mopy95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:30   #6
BHPian

The infotainment issue seems to be a recurring one and Tata has no clue how to resolve it.

High time they should just plugin a proven aftermarket product from Sony/Pioneer and have their own connected car app running as a background process.

Of course that app needs certification again, else it might result in memory leaks and general slowdown of the entire system again!

Last edited by manson : 28th July 2022 at 08:49. Reason: Typos.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:31   #7

Hi Sreejith, The software version I have now is 16.09. Visteon team started fixing issues as and when I raised the issues. A Kind of PATCH work. I don't think they are testing their software properly before releasing it. As some of the issues related to Bluetooth connection should be part of basic test cases. In the 8 months of ownership, the software has been upgraded five times and still, there are open issues!! Below is the chronology of the upgrade

Installed version --> 14.05
16-Jan-2021 --> 15.01
05-Feb-2021 --> 15.03
09-Mar-2021 --> 15.05
24-Mar-2021 --> 16.09
02-Jul-2021 --> XX.XX (Installed in my car as emergency fix of issues related to Android 11 upgrade, for testing)

And this is not just Harrier, it is Safari too. Two premium cars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
The infotainment issue seems to be a recurring one ..and Tata has no clue how to resolve it.

High time they should just plugin a proven aftermarket product from Sony /Pioneer and have their own connected car app running as a background process.

Of course that app needs certification again, else it might result in memory leaks and general slowdown of the entire system again !
I asked them the same question but they said the Steering Control will not work if you go for any other system. Before this, I had Nexon with me and I was very happy with the Harman system. No issues et all. So I am continuously asking them to get that system installed in my car. But they are refusing it.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th July 2021 at 21:26. Reason: Mode Note Inline.
kaushal-pandya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all
I have tweeted to Sir Ratan Tata and Tata Motors cars with a link to this thread, asked to help you out.

Also, sent email to customer care @ Tata Motors.
GTsunny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I am starting this forum to highlight the build quality issues that I am facing in Harrier XZA+ 2020 (BS6) model.
Sorry to know about the problems and the subsequent ordeal that you faced.

Many of the reported problems may to be related to inputs / outputs for the infotainment system. Why not try fitting another infotainment unit (tell the dealer) and use for a few days?

There are three elements: Software, hardware and wiring. Input / outputs aren't working consistently is a hardware issue that you can confirm / rule out through this trial.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 5th July 2021 at 20:11.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:37   #10

There are two service workshops in the city. Have you tried both? My buying experience of the harrier hasn’t been great either, especially with the sales executive. However, The sales manager has been pretty helpful.

I have also had issues with the key fob not working as desired, however on escalation to Tata customer service, a technician came home the very next day. Again majorly due to the intervention of the sales manager.
GJ-Che is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:56   #11

Note from Support : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) when quoting multiple posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ-Che View Post
There are two service workshops in the city. Have you tried both? My buying experience of the harrier hasn’t been great either, especially with the sales executive. However, The sales manager has been pretty helpful.
I bought this car from Pune, Rudra Motors. And believe their Sales team is even more careless than the service team. For the first 3 months, they worked on some issues and then after its SP Vehicles, Vadodara. Response from SP Vehicles is much better than Rudra. The issue I have is that for infotainment issues they are not showing any intent to take ownership and for keyless locking, they are following trial-and-error. They don't know what is the issue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Many of the reported problems may to be related to inputs / outputs for the infotainment system. Why not try fitting another infotainment unit (tell the dealer) and use for a few days?
I have been asking them to get the Harman system installed in my car for the last two months but they just smile and ignore my request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Tata, if you’re reading this thread, seriously get your act together. This is just not how you treat your premium customers.
All the issues are intermittent and they get resolved when you re-plug the cable or restart the system by stopping the car or by resetting the system. So my feeling is that many would have faced these issues but they have not reported them. May be they know reporting them wont solve them!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th July 2021 at 21:45. Reason: Quotes trimmed. See note.
kaushal-pandya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 22:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopy95 View Post
https://www.carblogindia.com/tata-ne...-scam-key-fob/

This is another issue I came across in another blog. Seems like Tata motors skipped on due diligence on selecting its dealerships. Even a few personal acquaintances have narrated horrible encounters during their regular services. It seems like they sell cars as if they are selling daily consumables: sell and forget. Sad.
I am having a hard time getting my wife's Nano serviced. Every listed number of the service center is NOT of service center but either showroom or accessories - they will give another number(s) and very difficult to get through the same. Finally decided to go with an outside garage for servicing.

Don't think will buy any Tata car again!
pk1972 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 09:49   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Harrier XZA+ | Build Quality issues & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving t

When the Harrier was launched, just 1 drive and I knew Tata rushed it to market before the car was production-ready. It felt so unsorted and had so many rough edges. What pains me to see is that niggles are being reported on even 2020-21 cars. All the hard work Tata put in the Nexon & Hexa goes to waste when they again get back that "unreliable" image thanks to problematic Harriers & Safaris.

What is even more worrisome is how these cars are going to age! If a 1-year old Harrier has so many issues, what about when its 4 years old? Or 8? The used car market is brutal on problematic cars and this will bite Harrier owners in resale value.

The infotainment system is obviously buggy, but what's to explain the "car not starting" issue? Or the brakes making sounds like a truck? Even our test car had problems with the keyless entry & security system. IIRC, the keyless entry didn't work and I had to manually press the unlock button to enter the car.

Quote:
Getting them accepted as an issue/problem was/is like trying to book a tatkal ticket from IRCTC during the festive season!!
One thing to sell a problematic machine, even worse when the customer is made to run around. What a difference between two companies of the same group. You can pay 5000 bucks for a dinner at the Taj Hotel or 10000 bucks for a room, and you'll be treated like a king. But pay 20-lakhs to Tata Motors and God help you!

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2021 at 09:52.
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier XZA+ | Build Quality issues & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving t

As per understanding, 90% of the problems faced by the OP, are related to the Infotainment system.

Why doesn't the Manufacturer provide a replacement of the same?

Secondly, why doesn't the Manufacturer throw out the vendor, and bring in someone more trustworthy/reliable.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see new threads pop up on issues/niggles with the Tata Harrier. It is a very handsome car and every time I see one, I do take a second look. Seems like things are not so beautiful inside. Tata Motors needs to take a quick look into this. Not just this case alone but all the other harriers too and bring what is necessary to make sure that their products are niggle free. At the moment they have the sales and numbers. Also the general public has their attention. In order to sustain this they need products that can speak for themselves and retain market interest. Also what is the deal when manufacturers/service centers treat customers who have paid such huge amounts of money to buy a car like this. The bad word of mouth wont do them any favors.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks