Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 17:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Buying & owning a discontinued car or brand | How much of a hassle?

I was (still am) in the same conundrum for the past 2 months but finally decided to put my money on a Skoda Rapid TSI. I could well be buying one of the last lots of this car ever made.

My logic for the decision is as follows -

1. Skoda and VW are set start a new innings in India with their 2.0 plans. So hopefully they don't buckle up and leave the country in the next 7 - 10 years.

2. The Rapid shares a lot of its parts with its cousins Vento and the Polo. So part availability shouldn't be too difficult (I hope!).

3. The Rapid, Vento and Polo has been in the market for more than a decade now and has been able to sell at a decent size.

Would like to hear what fellow boarders think!
Old 20th July 2021, 17:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

My question - is it financially viable to retain the car for another 2-3 years or should I be looking at selling it off as it is discontinued model.

Heart says - Keep the car for it's amazing 1.5 TDCI engine and the driving pleasure but mind says sell as in case of any break down on the highway when driving with kids can be challenging.
If there is a way you could spend a good amount of money and bring to a like new condition, inside-out - then keep it. You should not have even one bit of doubt that your vehicle is not going to make it during a family trip.

This needs commitment from the owner as well as ASC, no expense spared, fix everything and use it for another 3-4 years.
Old 20th July 2021, 18:14   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
My question - is it financially viable to retain the car for another 2-3 years or should I be looking at selling it off as it is discontinued model.

Heart says - Keep the car for it's amazing 1.5 TDCI engine and the driving pleasure but mind says sell as in case of any break down on the highway when driving with kids can be challenging.
A car which is maintained well with components/parts changed at manufacturer recommended interval should not ideally breakdown unless the car is a lemon or sheer bad luck.

Your Fiesta has one of the best ride quality and is built like a tank. I do not see any reason why you should think of replacing it as long as it meets your needs.

Key here is timely maintenance. Check your owner manual and see if any important parts need to be replaced. Since your car is at 1 Lakh kms, check the following

-> Timing belt replacement. If so, replace the water pump as well.
-> Serpentine belt. Check for cracks in the belt and replace if required or if recommended at the interval in the owners manual
-> Coolant flush and replace.
-> Brake fluid flush and replace.

1 lakh kms is not even 50% of the life for modern cars. You have already made a lot of important part replacements and spent a good amount of money on that. The car is in good condition. Enjoy your drive.

Few days to get spares at the FASS is totally acceptable since the service center do not stock parts that are slow moving. What I do is go the service center with a list of parts that need to be replaced, ask them to place order and procure it and then take the car when the parts have arrived. I will pay 30 to 40% advance amount if the service center insists.

Bottom line - Keep the car!
Old 10th November 2021, 16:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

For my Beat Petrol, there have not been any hassles post Chevy's exit from India.

The vehicle performance, maintenance costs, servicing have all been the same as before Chevy's exit. I owned a Spark for 5 years prior to the Beat. A new authorized service center was opened after Chevy exited India. Also, Chevy's quarterly service camps are still conducted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks