Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2021, 18:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Strange & fishy trends in the Hyderabad luxury used car market

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
However, I would caution against buying directly from the owners in these states without visually inspecting the cars in person. A lot of the cars are not well maintained, have issues and owners do not represent the facts correctly.
Rightly said. My two cents for the "visual inspection" that should be compulsory for all such buys, whatever the price tag.

Another good option is that many dealers of luxury brands like Mercedes Benz and BMW offer refurbished used cars from time to time in small batches with a slightly higher than market prices. These also come with a six month warranty and happen a good option for second hand, luxury car buying. The dealer's reputation needs to be adjuged through friends and acquaintances.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 19:57   #17
BHPian

Staying in Jharkhand, I would definitely stay away from such vehicles. There are hardly any high-end cars here. I have strong doubts about their genuineness. I won't be surprised if they have manipulated papers legalized with the syndicate dealing in such cars. The cheapest cars are of West Bengal primarily due to their earlier 5-year road tax policy and people selling their cars in 4th year and avoiding paying road tax again. But getting NOC from WB is itself a headache. Know a few known people who got stuck with expired road tax and they had to pay road tax in WB first and get NOC for transfer.
The only reason I can think of such cars in abundance outside the state is the very low Road tax here. Cars might have been driven in another state from the beginning itself. My friend got his M3 and saved a cool 2.5L by Ranchi registration. Find the history of the car and the user's details. Service history might give clue where the car was run.
drsnt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 20:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
How can you use the car 'like that' without getting it transferred in your name?
And to transfer the car in your name you will need the local address proof for the RTO where the transfer has to be done.
Easily. Many dealers have a “contact” who can arrange a local address proof for the state in question for an extra 2 to 5k. As for your first question, people simply don’t transfer the car to their name. If asked, they would say it belongs to a friend or family member.
Old 28th June 2021, 08:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

A humble advise, if you are staying in Hyderabad, get a TS registered car, Period. If you want a high end vehicle better get a refurbished one from the showroom of that manufacturer. Try scouting OLX and get in touch with the showroom/service centre to understand the full history of the car. We have had cases where a bhpian bought a car without checking with the dealer only to find out later that the vehicle he had purchased was actually declared total loss but the previous owner chose to repair and sell the car.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:39   #20
BHPian

On a lighter vein, Innovas are an investment in Bangalore like gold and equity. Even after 10 years, depreciation, a lakh kms, sometimes 2 3 owners - the vehicles still cost as much as they probably did when the owner bought them

TeamBHP is in fact one of the very few places remaining where you can directly meet an owner. 8 out of 10 cars in Olx are also dealer deals.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 21:16   #21
BHPian

From a personal experience, try to avoid out state registered vehicles/ vehicle in previous owners name. If a MVD cop with decent knowledge can spend little of his time, he can create every unnecessary issues which costs loads of money and peace of mind. Worst case scenario, seizing the vehicle.
Even though I had a MH registered car, I re-registered in Kerala just for the peace of mind and ownership.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 22:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hello all,

I've been looking for a used luxury car

West Bengal registrations mostly and selling them here, partly hiding that fact in the initial discussions, and later revealing that it's another state car, and giving us an option to change

Can we believe them and buy those cars from these other states? Or do anyone smell anything fishy in this whole scene? Any experts, please throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, being from West Bengal, Kolkata, and looking for cars for a while (ranging from budget to few cheaper BMWs/Mercs), I find the ODO readings to be tampered 90% of the time, dealers showing exemplary confidence on prices and the nil scope of being able to connect with the actual owner makes most of the sales not very clean.

Another thing I found out that, the car meters are being tampered in between visits to authorized service center. So in few cases getting harder to track the genuineness of ODO.

So combining my experiences from buying used cars in Bangalore and West Bengal, I have the following 2 paise of outlines for myself to share:

1. Never ever give up to dealer's high prices, 100% of the times, I found the cars to be not worth the asking prices.
2. Strictly buy it from the individual owners. If you can't meet them, then never buy the car.
4. Avoid out of state cars if you have to rely on dealers for name transfer, they act pricey on the name transfer once they have received money for the car or they use some illegal ways to get it transferred which can lead to messy situation later.

Cheers.
arighna.dutta is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 11:09   #23

Re: Strange & fishy trends in the Hyderabad luxury used car market

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
Staying in Jharkhand, I would definitely stay away from such vehicles. There are hardly any high-end cars here. I have strong doubts about their genuineness. I won't be surprised if they have manipulated papers legalized with the syndicate dealing in such cars.
Hi
I was looking into a pre-owned Jeep Compass which is registered in Jharkhand (JH05). Now I would be inspecting the vehicle personally once the lockdown is lifted. However since you mentioned about the genuiness of the luxury cars there could you throw some light.
The owner contacted me from a group I am a part of and I do not know him personally. He has shared some pictures.
Old 30th June 2021, 12:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb11 View Post
Hi
I was looking into a pre-owned Jeep Compass which is registered in Jharkhand (JH05). Now I would be inspecting the vehicle personally once the lockdown is lifted. However, since you mentioned the genuiness of the luxury cars there could you throw some light.
The owner contacted me from a group I am a part of and I do not know him personally. He has shared some pictures.
Please check the complete history from your nearest Jeep Service center before looking at the vehicle. You will know which area vehicle was run. If it's clean the I don't think you should be much worried.

If you plan to use the vehicle in WB, wouldn't JH no car be a headache? I have been stopped multiple times on each visit to Kolkata in my JH no car. Sometimes even 3-4 times in a single day, fined for the small size of numbers on the Registration plate. It was just 6 mm short of what is specified. That is after I carry my Bar council identity as Advocate.
I even contemplated buying a WB car to avoid this menace as done by most people in my circle who have regular visits to WB, then lockdown happened and the plan was shelved.
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re-registration of the car to the done by the transferee within a specified time. In TamilNadu, it is 15% of the Ex-Showroom price from the original invoice & may be lesser by few %, if the car is registered prior to Yr.2016. Please do note it is not on the sale value of the car or at the billing price of the Company to dealer, it is on the ex-showroom price. To give you an example, a car that costs 25-26L on road will have an ex-showroom price of 20-21L & the re-registration charges will come to Rs.3L. Additional Rs.50k for getting things done at local RTO office. This does not make the deal VFM unless you get the car at a steal from other states.

Keep the pricing aside, there are lots of procedures involved in getting the NOC like police report/CBI report, taking a picture of the registered owner along with the car in front of the RTO.

On the processing front, you have to make major part of the payment, if not 100%, unless which the seller will be hesitant to process the NOC. Remember original RC, Insurance etc will be at the transferor RTO until the whole process is completed. Hence deed of sale to be executed before initiating the payment capturing the whole exercise, so that legal bindings are clear from a specified time between seller and buyer. Transferor can claim back the tax to his account

I am not sure if re-registration from other state will be mentioned in the smart card with previous owner detail. Re-registered cars from other states carry lesser resale value and many buyers will keep away from purchasing one.
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 15:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post

TeamBHP is in fact one of the very few places remaining where you can directly meet an owner. 8 out of 10 cars in Olx are also dealer deals.
I'm seeing a few dealers posting on teambhp classifieds too. Soon they'll take over completely.

The entire used car market seems to be controlled by agents and dealers and they've plagued olx too - all top end cars are advertised as accident free and in mint condition etc. Sounds dodgy.

The only dealer I would buy from would be someone who works on a commission basis and allows me to meet the owner.

Coming to the main point the OP mentioned - this is true for not just Hyderabad but also other places. The MO appears to be the same. I was on the lookout for a good used top end car but gave up after I realized that this dealer network is run as some sort of organized crime syndicate rather than a brokerage business.
Old 27th June 2022, 11:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
6) Once your details are shared with any 1 dealer, you number is shared on their whatsapp group. No matter which dealer you visit, they would already have learned about your requirements and budget. They will hardly negotiate because of this prior knowledge about you.
This is exactly how cars 24, olx and all those online used car aggregators work in sync with the dealers.
Old 27th June 2022, 14:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
This is exactly how cars 24, olx and all those online used car aggregators work in sync with the dealers.
Cars24 and Cardekho work slightly different than the 2nd hand dealership mafia. They connect with the dealers and will ask them to place their bids. Whichever dealer places the highest bid will get the car allocation if customer agrees. Here there is no way for other dealers to talk to each other or share the RC and customer deatils as this is done via their own app and website.
Old 27th June 2022, 15:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Cars24 and Cardekho work slightly different than the 2nd hand dealership mafia. They connect with the dealers and will ask them to place their bids. Whichever dealer places the highest bid will get the car allocation if customer agrees. Here there is no way for other dealers to talk to each other or share the RC and customer deatils as this is done via their own app and website.
Not directly through the portals, but the dealers they share with still share it within the nexus for the same net result. I've had to deal with hundreds of calls just because I checked with Cars24 for a quote for a car I didn't even end up selling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks