Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:26   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Rs. 10000 fine on 10+ year old cars | Merely 0.075% of banned cars have been scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
Hahaha indeed. I don't drive fast or break any rules generally and have all paperwork in place. Have also paid off all my Challans (3 to be precise) but the fact remains that its a fortuner
No provision for cars from out of state AFAIK. But I maybe wrong. I haven't even been able to find the actual rules online.

It's a July 2011 Maharashtra registered fortuner and a diesel. Its registered on my name on my home address in Thane. And yes the rule is for cars registered in any state. If it's older than 10 yrs in case of diesel and 15 yrs in case of petrol you cannot enter. If caught there is a hefty fine and they will take a written affidavit and in some case impound your vehicle.
This rule you talk about...is this written in some official document somewhere?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:26   #77
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Rs. 10000 fine on 10+ year old cars | Merely 0.075% of banned cars have been scrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This rule you talk about...is this written in some official document somewhere?
Thats the problem. There is no proper documentation. But I have read on tbhp on other forum and even few posts back tbhp user headbanger mentioned that he was pulled over in manesar which is a part of NCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
The rule is very simple. You cannot drive any diesel car older than 10 years or petrol car older than 15 years old within NCR demarcated area, irrespective of the state your car has been registered in.

NCR consists of districts of 4 states - Delhi, UP, Haryana and Rajasthan. Additionally, as a corollary to the above rule, these NCR districts will not allow you to extend the registration validity of your car beyond the above mentioned timeframe. Either you need to sell your car to anyone outside NCR or scrap it post this timeframe.
Quote:
I have been stopped while taking KMP expressway at Manesar toll since I use a 2011 Old Dzire. It's a petrol, so I got away with it. Technically, NCR extends upto Karnal on NH44. So if you get stopped anywhere upto Karnal, some money exchange is bound to happen.
abhijeetveer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 12:57   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Haha I understand. And I am really bad at negotiating hence trying to play very safe
The best thing would be to try and cross this section during late evening or night, take the kmp expressway and by no means enter delhi even at night.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:32   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
The best thing would be to try and cross this section during late evening or night, take the kmp expressway and by no means enter delhi even at night.
But won't that be risky? My car being MH registered may call for unwanted attention. I always notice outstation cars pulled over by cops. I have no intentions of entering Delhi at all
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:35   #80
BHPian

Quote:
But won't that be risky? My car being MH registered may call for unwanted attention. I always notice outstation cars pulled over by cops. I have no intentions of entering Delhi at all
Dear sir thats why i suggested late evening or night, to cross this patch post 8pm you will not find any traffic cops on trafic challan duty hope i now make more sense
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 00:24   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic in North India, particularly in NCR, doesn't move the way it probably does in likes of Maharashtra and Karnataka. Nobody cares a dime which state registration your car has. You will find multitudes of cars having MH, KA, NL and what not. The reason is simple. North India has so many small states and UTs that it's very difficult for cops to focus on your car registration plate. We will need a separate department for achieving that.

I shared instance of me being pulled over just to put the point that it's technically possible. However the probability of getting picked to be pulled over is another dimension. I reiterate that the checking is very seasonal outside Delhi. If you travel at night, the chances are miniscule unless you are wrecked on luck. But if you do decide to travel in late nights, be mindful of other factors (if car gets breakdown, getting sleepy) that may act as limiting forces. If you are still apprehensive, my suggestion will be to travel just around the time when daylight is fading. In my two decades in this region, I haven't come across a barricade on NH44 when Lord Sun is not around.

To conclude, the risk of getting pulled over is there but it's very less and far lesser on the scale as compared to other risks. Please don't get paranoid about it, that's the last thing you need.

Last edited by headbanger : 4th May 2022 at 00:36.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 01:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Dear sir thats why i suggested late evening or night, to cross this patch post 8pm you will not find any traffic cops on trafic challan duty hope i now make more sense
Understood. Thank you
Quote:
Traffic in North India, particularly in NCR, doesn't move the way it probably does in likes of Maharashtra and Karnataka. Nobody cares a dime which state registration your car has. You will find multitudes of cars having MH, KA, NL and what not. The reason is simple. North India has so many small states and UTs that it's very difficult for cops to focus on your car registration plate. We will need a separate department for achieving that.

I shared instance of me being pulled over just to put the point that it's technically possible. However the probability of getting picked to be pulled over is another dimension. I reiterate that the checking is very seasonal outside Delhi. If you travel at night, the chances are miniscule unless you are wrecked on luck. But if you do decide to travel in late nights, be mindful of other factors (if car gets breakdown, getting sleepy) that may act as limiting forces. If you are still apprehensive, my suggestion will be to travel just around the time when daylight is fading. In my two decades in this region, I haven't come across a barricade on NH44 when Lord Sun is not around.

To conclude, the risk of getting pulled over is there but it's very less and far lesser on the scale as compared to other risks. Please don't get paranoid about it, that's the last thing you need.
Okay. So now the best route for me according to Google maps is Mumbai - Udaipur - Ajmer - Jaipur - detour at Paniyala - Jind via Juliana - Barnala - Amritsar. Seems like the western peripheral expressway is pretty bad in the night traffic wise? A big stretch of it is orange on Google maps at the moment. Has anybody done this route. Can anyone suggest the best route?
Old 4th May 2022, 01:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like the western peripheral expressway is pretty bad in the night traffic wise? A big stretch of it is orange on Google maps at the moment.
I haven't used KMP expressway since last 30 days but my hunch for that orange stretch is most likely a stalled truck or crane. I will suggest to check it on the days when you plan to travel. Typically this expressway is fluid and you can easily keep 100kmph. Unless for an accident or a stalled big vehicle, there should not be any reason for jam on this wide expressway.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 01:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't used KMP expressway since last 30 days but my hunch for that orange stretch is most likely a stalled truck or crane. I will suggest to check it on the days when you plan to travel. Typically this expressway is fluid and you can easily keep 100kmph. Unless for an accident or a stalled big vehicle, there should not be any reason for jam on this wide expressway.
I have been seeing the orange stretch since last 3 days if not more. Could be a line of heavy vehicles that move during the night maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi: Rs. 10000 fine on 10+ year old cars | Merely 0.075% of banned cars have been scrapped-screenshot_20220504014147499_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg  

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 4th May 2022 at 01:42.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:30   #85
BANNED

Quote:
I second that best travel during late evening or early hours . I suggest stay at Neemrana and cross Delhi / Panipat by 7.30am so you would need to leave Neemrana by 4.30am .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:23   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I second that best travel during late evening or early hours . I suggest stay at Neemrana and cross Delhi / Panipat by 7.30am so you would need to leave Neemrana by 4.30am .
Neemrana falls in Alwar district which makes it a part of NCR too. So I'm thinking of taking a detour from Paniyala and heading towards Ambala via 152D around early morning time like u mentioned.

Even though this route too passes through NCR I believe it will be far more easier since I'm going to be much away from the capital

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 4th May 2022 at 14:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks