Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 10:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Maruti starts work on next-gen Swift

There have been reports suggesting that the fourth-generation Suzuki Swift will arrive on the global scene in 2022. We have now been told that Maruti has started work on the car for India.

Scoop! Maruti starts work on next-gen Swift-download.jpg

The fourth-generation Swift (codenamed: YED) is expected to be launched in 2024. Maruti is said to have floated a Request for Quotation (RFQ) to potential suppliers.

Reports suggest that the new Swift will be based on an advanced version of the Heartect platform. As is with every product, the new generation will bring in refreshed styling and an updated interior.

There is talk of the new Swift getting a 1.2-litre petrol hybrid powertrain in addition to a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine. However, in India, the car is likely to be offered with the same 1.2-litre Dualjet petrol engine as the current model. It produces 89 BHP and 113 Nm and comes paired with either a 5-speed manual gearbox or 5-speed AMT.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Maruti starts work on next-gen Swift

What I understand from this is that the Swift is going the WagonR way. Just like the current Maruti WagonR sold in India shares nothing with its Suzuki counterpart in Japan except the name, looks like the only thing common in the next gen Swift in India and Japan would be its name. Probably Suzuki thinks the next gen Swift would be too costly for India, hence they chose to cheapen it out and have a made for India Swift.
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
What I understand.... made for India Swift.
I hear you but do you want them to give us two options like they so in South America and Pakistan?

One imported (or import spec but built here) version and one made to a cost desi one?

Suzuki knows what sells and what won't. The better built Ignis doesn't sell as much as Wagon R even with not so much difference in their pricing for a LOT of more car in the Ignis.

Even if they restart Omni with 2 namesake airbags, it will still sell like hot cakes no matter what the safety rating.
RavSam is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:01   #4
BHPian

I don't think they will change a lot from the Japanese version because the Swift is just too important to Maruti. They will build it on the Heartect platform and go for aggressive cost-cutting but the overall aesthetic appearance could be more or less the same. Hyundai used the same strategy with the i20.
__.gxr.__ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:27   #5
BHPian

I'm betting thousand bucks that MSIL will use the same decades old interior switches and el cheapo plastics on the interior Hope some sense prevails in the management and they give decent quality materials at least ! While we are at it, can we expect at least 3 star NCAP rating
Akshay6988 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:18   #6
BHPian

In my opinion, the Swift not having a proper TC gearbox (even if its the outdated 4 speed version) is a major contributor to the success of its competitors (be it the Grand i10 and i20 or even the Polo GT TSI).

The Swift is positioned in that perfect sweet spot, where it can be a family car one day (ala the Grand i10 or i20) and also be a hot sporty hatch with lot of mod potential, the next day (competing against the Polo TSI).

I wonder why Maruti doesn't really spot this potential in the Swift to completely wipe off the opposition.
autotranny is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:33   #7
BHPian

Qualm whatever you want. Maruti would be least bothered to change 'the Swift formula' because people continue to buy them and Maruti is super happy about the sales numbers.
kpkeerthi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:40   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This looks like an attempt to "Stay" in the news !

Whilst We expect a Proper TC, 4 star rating, 1.5 L Diesel, 1 L Turbo engine, etc.,

We all know what we get. Hope Maruti surprises me !
Sk8r is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 11:52   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
There is talk of the new Swift getting a 1.2-litre petrol hybrid powertrain in addition to a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine. However, in India, the car is likely to be offered with the same 1.2-litre Dualjet petrol engine as the current model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by __.gxr.__ View Post
I don't think they will change a lot from the Japanese version because the Swift is just too important to Maruti.
As gxr said, I expect the formula to stay the same. Why fix something that isn't broken? Why change the taste of a best-selling dish that sells 18000 - 20000 copies? If the Swift were a standalone car company, it would still be Kia or Mahindra or Renault in India.

That being said, the Swift is a rare Maruti that also appeals to enthusiasts on a budget. How I wish they'd bring out a "Swift Sport" with the 1.5L NA motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'm betting thousand bucks that MSIL will use the same decades old interior switches and el cheapo plastics on the interior
Someone at Maruti really loves this switch console!
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How I wish they'd bring out a "Swift Sport" with the 1.5L NA motor.
That would be the best and most fun engine for such a nimble chassis.
Old 13th June 2021, 23:27   #11
BHPian

I seriously hope they put an end to the weight loss journey and give it some protein powder this time to build some real muscle.

The previous generation lost a good 80kgs and while the "kitna deti hai" factor went up, the Swift lost its handling and stability charm.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 01:04   #12
BHPian

Good, bad, light, or heavy, as long it comes with a frugal yet peppy motor, it would sell and that too in big numbers. Heck, the Swift is a major brand on its own and like @GTO mentioned above, it's a company in itself the size of likes of Kia, Renault-Nissan, and many others.

Having owned one in its diesel guise in the past (a 2013 Swift VDi), I just wouldn't have let her go had it not been for the 10 year registration expiry rule in the Delhi NCR region. I did put her up for sale on the Team-BHP classifieds section as well; albeit, with a heavy heart.

Scoop! Maruti starts work on next-gen Swift-pic-quarter-front-left.jpeg
Pic: One For Nostalgia

It does look as fresh as they come right out of the showroom even on it's last day with us, doesn't it?

It was great fun for the kind of money it came at and did command an excellent resale. Being bought for ~6.7 lacs, it was sold for 3.4 lacs, thereby costing us merely 3.3 lacs for ~90 months of usage or just about 3.7k a month. That's as frugal as one can get without compromising on the 'fun' bit in a car. That's exactly why it sells and would continue to sell. The petrol one is no less and is such a refined go kart for the stop and go traffic of busy city roads.

Though it has been replaced by a Grand i10 NIOS Sportz, we may think of adding a Swift to the garage again provided MSIL improves upon it's build quality which has become a little too tinny and rattly off late.

Last edited by Herschey : 14th June 2021 at 01:06.
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 08:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
How I wish they'd bring out a "Swift Sport" with the 1.5L NA motor.
I think bigger engines in sub-4m cars are all but dead, especially petrol ones.
  • You need to have <1.2 litre petrol or <1.5 litre diesel to get the sub-4m tax benefit in the first place. Go over those limits and tax goes up by 14/12% for petrol/diesel cars
  • Turbo engines can get you the same or higher performance of a bigger engine while still being more compliant with emission norms and more importantly have higher fuel efficiency.

Even if they do make a Swift sport, they'll get a 1.0/1.2 litre turbo petrol and maybe turbocharge their 1.3 litre diesel. This is how VW and Hyundai are doing >100 bhp as well for their hatchbacks.
darkgamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 17:06   #14
BHPian

Another car on Heartect platform and made for India version of a global model. We all know how cars become "made for India". The Swift has always gotten lighter with each iteration. I seriously wish they do something about the light build quality of this Swift. Either build it well or prove that this lighter one is safe. A 4 STAR rating would do. Current one is uncomfortably light !
Old 15th June 2021, 17:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That being said, the Swift is a rare Maruti that also appeals to enthusiasts on a budget. How I wish they'd bring out a "Swift Sport" with the 1.5L NA motor.
If this is the expectation from the chief moderator and most influential member of India's premier car enthusuast forum, the enthusiast community can now go lie down and die.

Why do you expect a Swift Sport with the lame, humdrum 1.5 litre normally aspirated engine? Can you not advocate for Maruti to release the Swift Sport with the 1.4 turbo available internationally?

For the first time, GTO-sir, I feel ashamed to be a part of this community.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed