Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2022, 21:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: 'Dress Code' when visiting car showrooms for a test-drive?

I have experienced over the years that somehow speaking "corporate class" English (for the lack of a better term) makes a considerable difference. In my latest case, the GM of the showroom attended to my needs personally, and of course, armed with knowledge of the car features and capabilities, thanks in no small measure to this esteemed forum (which I also mentioned to him incidentally) also perhaps helped expedite a lot of the paperwork and mundane activities. Because there was no debate or discussion on which car to buy. Being decisive and knowledgeable also helps a lot. The salespersons cannot therefore bore or confuse you with details that are mostly untrue (especially specifications and technical features).
Old 13th June 2022, 12:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

The better you dressed, the better service you will get! As simple as that.
aniketi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 12:37   #78
BHPian

ohh this is so close to the heart. I recently went to the MG showroom to check the Hector. We reached there as walk-in customers. We were greeted, my name and number taken down and asked to wait till they search for SA.
We waited for a good 10 mins. Customers walking in after us were assigned SA but we were just sitting there. No water, no coffee offered too.

Finally my wife murmured to me "do we don't look rich enough for them to sell us the car?"

But once the SA was assigned, the experience was altogether different.
Mumbaiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 13:10   #79
Senior - BHPian

I've asked people to leave, bathe and get dressed and then come: some of my clients taking their morning walk come to my office drenched in sweat: literally dripping sweat all over the place, I've politely asked them to leave. Same for "gypsies" I've asked them to leave and never to enter the premises, again. How would you feel when sat next to a "gypsy" or "someone drenched in sweat". To top it all I've had an old man who passed motion in his pants and his wife wanted me to see him, I asked him to leave. Yes, I asked him to leave and had to sanitize the place. Dress code is important if you want to be attended to properly present yourself properly first.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th June 2022 at 13:11.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 13:36   #80
BHPian

Still blows my mind how people can dress like slobs and expect to be treated with respect at any place of business, car dealership or otherwise. Dress well not for others but for yourself, when you look good, you feel good it’s not rocket science.
Old 13th June 2022, 14:46   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

This is all rather weird. I do accept that there are certain expectations, a game that one is supposed to play, and I dress decently and cleanly to do anything. Why would I not!

But I do not do it to impress salesmen. I will not have the details of my life dictated by salesmen! Why would I? And if I do not get service, I do not wait silently. I make a fuss. And, although I am actually quite shy, I am very capable of making a loud fuss!

The only thing I expect of them is that they dress recognisably. It is embarrassing to accost some stranger, only to be told that they don't work there, but are fellow visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I've asked people to leave, bathe and get dressed and then come: some of my clients taking their morning walk come to my office drenched in sweat: literally dripping sweat all over the place
Don't know what your business is. Plainly you are not that much fussed about getting their money, and can afford to be picky like this.
Quote:
How would you feel when sat next to a "gypsy" or "someone drenched in sweat".
I don't know who you are calling "gypsy"
Quote:
To top it all I've had an old man who passed motion in his pants and his wife wanted me to see him, I asked him to leave. Yes, I asked him to leave and had to sanitize the place. Dress code is important if you want to be attended to properly present yourself properly first.
Oh, come on! This is going to extremes, and totally outside of the limits of this conversation.

By the way: I don't care what the salesman thinks of me, but I do understand that there are practicalities. I am quite happy if they don't want me, or anyone else, sweating profusely over their test car.

Practicalities is one thing: prejudice is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Still blows my mind how people can dress like slobs and expect to be treated with respect at any place of business, car dealership or otherwise. Dress well not for others but for yourself, when you look good, you feel good it’s not rocket science.
My clothes are clean and presentable. If they look slob-like to others, that is not my problem. If they didn't make me feel good I wouldn't be wearing them.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th June 2022 at 14:56.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 14:51   #82
BHPian

Trust Team BHP to initiate such interesting discussions.

I am sure as a sales agent walking up to a new (potential) customer who has just walked into the showroom, everyone amongst us would be doing a quick profiling, basis how the person who has walked in looks like.

I remember, when I went to a Nexa showroom to check out the Baleno, the SA was trying to 'sell' the sportier aspects of the car, simply because I was in a black Tee and khakis.
IF I were to walk in my office formals, they might be talking about the ride comfort and other aspects.
<They actually even suggested we try the Ignis, but not sure whether it was because the SA had pending targets to meet on the Ignis, or he thought I was more suited for it>

However, I do not think how you dress can determine good at bad service at a showroom. That really depends on the ethics and work culture of the specific showroom and their management.
Old 13th June 2022, 15:15   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by managhatke77 View Post
Funny story, i rented a bike when i visited Jodhpur and was staying at the Umaid Bhavan, because i was bored of the innova drives and i was refused entry back into the hotel because the security didn't belive that i was staying at the hotel. . I didn't get offended, but alas that's how the world works i guess.
I have one similar such story. We have just a single space to park within the premises we stay. The other cars are road parked. Being a habitual car maintenance and detailing guy, I was on the road one Saturday getting rid of some scratches. My chauffeur at the time, along with his colleagues were on the road as well, chatting, eating and having some tea.

To avoid the constant bird droppings, I wanted to swap the parking spots for two of my cars. While doing so, a chauffer from a nearby location tries to slither his car into the spot I was just about to vacate. I got out and spoke to the gentleman and explained what I was doing to which he gave me a mouthful. When I said these are all my cars he refused to believe me (I think he thought I was a car washer/cleaner/detailer) at which point my chauffeur and his colleagues intervened and informed him that I did indeed own these cars and to please mind his language. A lady who he worked for appeared when she saw the commotion. I informed her about her potty mouthed employee.
Newtown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 15:29   #84
BHPian

It's often the little things about what you wear. Globally the fashion trends are moving towards the more casual, including start up and billionaire founders showing up everywhere in denims and t-shirts. I think as long as you're presentable, and neat it should be acceptable. I don't go to showrooms much, and usually have the test drives done at home, but even when I do it's usually in denims and a t-shirt or polo at the most. I think as long as your clothes are neat, ironed and your shoes are clean and not dirty and tattered, your general appearance should be acceptable.
Old 13th June 2022, 15:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
I've bought a Maruti swift after a test drive wearing formals and a Honda city in casuals - company reps at both companies were equally attentive.
This reminds me. I visited Whitefield Honda may be 10 years ago to book a 10+ Lakh rupee City on my beat up old Fiero which I used for office commute considering all roadworks going on at that time. I was treated very well and I did book my car that day. I had finished the test drive with family at a dealer closer to home.

And I went in shorts and t shirt on a Sunday morning with 3 kids after our usual cycling round to a Yamaha showroom and booked their FZ25 after a quick chat.

I think Bangalore is cool about customers however they are. I think it boils down to how you interact eventually with sales personnel.

Last edited by Bullfrog : 13th June 2022 at 15:55.
Bullfrog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 21:48   #86

Well for all my 40 odd years I've almost always gone out in shorts and flipflops, and sometimes a respectable T shirt, most times sleeveless even. I don't have a sperate section of outdoor clothes and home wear, it's all the same for me. But never have I ever been treated with disprect in all my life.

And I have been refused entry into multiple clubs, bars and fancy restaurants, I see that as their right to admission and my right to wear what I like.

I believe it's all about how we read the situation. My 2 cents treat others well and most will return the favor.
TheOddBall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 07:59   #87
BHPian

I think it's foolish for a salesperson to assess someone based on their clothes, their language, their diction or even their skin colour. If you go to rural Tamilnadu or Karnataka, you might see an elderly person walking around in slippers with a cloth bag, looking like a nobody. But it is quite likely that he/she is loaded - in these places, there isn't much of a culture of show-off. The reverse is true in kerala - someone with empty pockets will be impeccably groomed.
After all, the salesperson's job is to attend to people who walk in and try to sell them something. So talk politely to the walk-in and assess them. If they are indeed just window shopping, leave them alone if one is soo busy. But don't reject them out of hand.
Old 14th June 2022, 08:02   #88
BHPian

On a lighter note, wear a team bhp branded apparel to improve your chances for a better treatment.
ajayc123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 11:22   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Just because I don't dress what would impress a salesman, doesn't make me a slob. I am one of those who wears shorts a lot when I step out and I wear them because I feel good in them.

When I'm willing to spend 10L/20L/30L or more to purchase a car, I would like to be treated with respect, regardless of the clothes I wear, language I speak or the way I look. Unlike a business meeting or a daily job, I'm the one who's shelling out big money to buy something. I know the 'first impression is the best impression' but the thing is, I'm not at a car showroom to impress them or to make them feel good about the clothes I wear, it should be the other way around. Either way before this dressing etiquette discussion, the basic rule in anyone's life should be - treat the other person with respect. May be we should have a thread on that.

My experience recently. The other day I was at a 3M store getting a car wash done, I was in my shorts. There's a VW showroom right next door and I made a visit to check out the Virtus and their other cars. I was greeted by multiple salesmen and their lady manager as well during my 20 min stay there.
sweetvar26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 12:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
My experience recently. The other day I was at a 3M store getting a car wash done, I was in my shorts. There's a VW showroom right next door and I made a visit to check out the Virtus and their other cars. I was greeted by multiple salesmen and their lady manager as well during my 20 min stay there.
Were you wearing a Rolex or such on your wrist, if you were then it doesn’t matter what you are wearing

Just kidding sweetvar26, though workable too As I mentioned earlier, it’s not what you are wearing so much so as it’s the attitude/persona you project. Not for nothing is it said - “Attitude is everything”.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 16th June 2022 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks