Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 14:36   #31
BHPian

Re: 'Dress Code' when visiting car showrooms for a test-drive?

I once had a very negative experience with Hyundai while getting the Accent VIVA CRDi. As great as the car was at that time it was expensive around 7-8 lac and I still have it now. I had checked it out maybe 3-4 times "With non-formal pant/shirt" and tried to pitch one dealer against another. On the last final day the SA lost it and told me "Sir you don't want to buy anything and you are wasting my time and your's" after which I told him calmly that I have come to buy today and here is the debit card for the down payment but he didn't budge while telling me no Sir I won't sell you anything and that is where I lost it and shouted at him.

In minutes another SA came and sold me that exact car and the GM gave me a free audio system "Demo Unit" as a sorry gift. The system worked for a day and then died they gave me a few thousands as store credit which I used for speaker upgrade.

The moral of the story is SA believed I would not buy anything because I came to the showroom in an old 800 and in non-formal pant/shirt around 3PM/11AM meaning I did not work at a office. I don't know if he did get his share from the sale but I hope he did because up till that point he was not rude as such and did match the other dealers rates.

Assumptions are always present and always deadly.

Last edited by ajaiD : 10th June 2021 at 14:39.
ajaiD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 18:06   #32
BHPian

I would go in an attire that would probably be a bit nonchalant because that would tell me how they would treat me after buying the car.
wittycat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 18:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
General Motors had a 10-page policy for dress codes! Mary Barra changed it to two words = Dress Appropriately . I'd say the same for visiting car showrooms, or any other workplace as well (e.g. government offices). Like it or not, as humans, we all have our prejudices and assumptions. When I was in a sales role in my plywood & education businesses, I most definitely was influenced by the customer's dress code. I don't visit car showrooms at all because I get all the media cars at home, but when I do, it is usually a Team-BHP t-shirt (that's all I wear during the day, 7 days of the week), smart denims, smart shoes & a branded watch. It's actually my staple attire for most of my daytime outings.

Plus, think of it from the salesman's point of view. Truth is, there are many tyre kickers & time wasters in car showrooms worldwide.

My personal attire policy is thus = better overdressed than under, be it a friend's birthday celebration at home or a wedding function.
Thank you GTO, for putting this succinctly.

The post is to discuss and enable a wider understanding how a Sales Advisor qualifies a lead when he/she has limited bandwidth, so all of us could be a little more empathetic.

The post is NOT about:
1. Can you get a good treatment at a luxury brand showroom despite being in shorts - if you got a royal treatment, good for you!
2. Whether shorts qualify as appropriate dressing or not (Most buyers of multi-million yachts are in their shorts and boat shoes)
3. Are dealerships right, when they judge customers on any parameter
4. Is ill-treating any prospect on any parameter is justified or not (Its not justified)

When was the last time you walked into the US Consulate in a shorts and slippers when you desperately needed that US visa? heck, you put on a tie over your formals in peak Indian summer

Few years ago, the TG India Editor received a letter about a supercar he reviewed the month before. The letter suggested Ed to wear an attire thats slightly more sporty than a chequered half sleeve shirt, to goes well with the Sporty Car he reviewed.

Truth is, appearance is a big part of how we perceive others as well as ourselves. Being 'appropriately' dressed for any occassion cannot be wrong - so instead of blaming someone for not giving you the service levels you hoped for, put a little effort in looking the part - it wont hurt!
vidyabhushan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 08:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

For safety reasons, dealers can (& should) impose a dress code.

Although I'd like to believe that the dress code doesn't matter, I've learned otherwise from experience. You don't need to have the most expensive clothes money can buy, but you certainly need to look smart. Those flip-flops belong to the beach or party @ your terrace.
Quote:
My personal attire policy is thus = better overdressed than under, be it a friend's birthday celebration at home or a wedding function.
So true. I've learned this from personal experience.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 09:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

As a doctor, I have done public dealing and as a customer too, I have had a fair share of dealing with the sales people in the showrooms, malls, dealerships. I believe that there is a thin line that decides the customer experience to be positive or negative.

For every role or job description, there is an expected standards of service to be given. While there is no issue if an extra special service is provided to a particular customer (because of his/ her attire or position etc), it becomes an issue when a “less than required standards” service is given to a person just because we were judgemental of them based on their looks etc.

As a person dealing with public or customers, one should never offer less than expected standards service just because of the appearance of the person.

But, it is human to give some special treatment to a person based on his good appearance. This extra service could be in terms of giving extra focus to that person (less waiting time), a bit more politeness and patience while dealing with that person.

GTO has summed this up nicely in a single line in his post.

Quote:
I'd say the same for visiting car showrooms, or any other workplace as well (e.g. government offices). Like it or not, as humans, we all have our prejudices and assumptions. When I was in a sales role in my plywood & education businesses, I most definitely was influenced by the customer's dress code.
—————

I am not a wardrobe expert or trying to be one, but in general, a good way to dress for many such situations is to wear a plain solid (no pattern or print) formal shirt with a trouser and formal leather shoes that are polished clean. Do not forget the socks, waist belt and wear a regular sized simple watch (not Casio G Shock) if possible. This is sufficient to get good impression if going to a place where it matters.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 11th June 2021 at 09:48. Reason: Typo
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:27   #36
BHPian

I can understand that such expectations may be more in cities with more traditional jobs/businesses, but not sure for Bangalore or other cities with good presence of software product companies.

In these companies its very normal to see employees wearing flip-flops / collarless t-shirts / track pants (sometime 3/4 length also) in workspace, some of these employee may be high earning professionals with degrees from elite tech schools like IIT/MIT/Caltech etc. who have spend significant time in bay area or Germany or other such place.
Old 11th June 2021, 10:33   #37
BHPian

'Dress Code' when visiting car showrooms for a test-drive?

I'm a fairly casual dresser who believes in comfort over everything. Normally, when it comes to visiting a dealership or making a bigger purchase, I'd prefer to dress a little appropriately so the counterparty knows I'm serious.

However, there was this one time where I dressed very casually and visited a dealership:

This must've been in 2017, sometime in the monsoons. I had just received my driver's license "parchi" a few days ago—I was that new to legally driving solo.

I'd gone to the Honda service centre in Andheri for our Brio's service (or some minor repair, can't recall). Fortunately, it was a dry day for the service centre so they said they'll deliver the car in around 1.5 hours.

We were casually in the market for a new car at the time and I knew that there was a Skoda dealership just outside the lane

The only problem was that I wasn't exactly dressed for the occasion. Picture this—an 18-year-old wearing gym attire, a sleeveless t-shirt and basketball shorts. Yeah...

But anyway, as the saying goes, "umeed pe duniya kaayam hai" I walked in and asked the receptionist if I could please take a look at the Rapid and the Octavia. Didn't want to push my luck too far and thought I'd be realistic

Long story short, a senior sales executive showed me around the cars and even offered me a test drive. I took him up on the offer and loved the Rapid. Unfortunately, the car was just too expensive for what it offered so we couldn't go ahead with the purchase.

Their sales team persistently called me for the next year or so even after I told them that the car didn't fit in our budget. So the sales exec was possibly just desperate for a sale, but I still appreciate how nice and patient he was.

Something similar happened at Merc's dealership and StarDrive event, too. And while these are isolated incidents, I'd like to believe that dressing isn't everything, especially if you can show you're serious and are honest about it (eg, not asking for the most expensive offering, telling the sales guy that you're here to see but can make a decision if you like the car).

Interestingly, this approach did not work at all at a Bajaj dealership. Went to look at a couple of bikes, but the sales guy didn't give two hoots. Didn't even let me check out the bike properly (I didn't want a test ride). Funnily enough, I was better dressed here than I was at the Skoda dealership. But I guess that's just how two-wheeler dealerships work?

Fun times...
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:20   #38
BHPian

My 2 cents to this interesting discussion.

Post Covid, I wonder if anyone is actually going to value a dress code. Most of my meetings are VC. I am dressed in a t shirt and shorts. My client is dressed in a bath robe. Yes its slovenly, but with lockdowns being the norm, getting dressed is meaningless.

I think the perception that the dress makes the person will change fast. But that's just me.
Old 11th June 2021, 12:10   #39
BHPian

Name:  Untitled12.png
Views: 1414
Size:  272.5 KB

The dressing habits of the rich have changed and its the sales person's loss if he / she goes by looks alone !

One of the richest persons I know, does farming in his own land (Situated in the midst of residential villas and apartments and hence super high value), drives a TVS XL 50, wears rubber chappals.

I am not very rich but always dressed for comfort with out being careless. A polo T-Shirt, Jeans and Sandals at the very least. I have not faced discrimination at any car showrooms. However the 2 wheeler showrooms sales people have a unusually haughty attitude.. probably as they don't make much commission on one bike and couldn't care less.

Bottom line. Customer pays the money and if sales people don't let go of their prejudices, its their livelihood on the line. Customer can always find an alternative.
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:17   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
It is the car salesman's job to impress customers. Not the customer's job to impress car salesmen!
As simple as that.

Since my priorities are mostly set there isn't generally the question of being wooed by Salesmen(with the exception of an attractive salesgirl back in 2011, a story for another time), BUT if at all I do sense judgement I'd simply take my business elsewhere, though personally it has never come to that and I'm generally the kind of person who walks into a showroom wearing whatever it is that I wear to go to the nearby kirana store cause from where I see things they're no different than a Showroom, as the basic premise remains; Me Buy, Them Sell!

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 12:28   #41
Team-BHP Support

Also, if you want to show intent/seriousness, it is better to call up first and let them know that you will be arriving at 11:30 AM (for example) for test drive. If needed, have a brief conversation on phone with salesperson you will be interacting with, and ask for him/her when you enter the showroom.

If you want excellent sales experience, the above works much better than dressing up formally.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th June 2021 at 12:30.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:05   #42
BHPian

Very good thread. I am glad someone bought this up. Even in offices when people show up in chappals/sandals its so disgusting.

The way one dresses is very important i.e whether in office, home or dealership.

In a Maruti showroom it may not matter that much but as one goes up in value chain this becomes apparent.

However no amount of dressing can help a person if upon opening ones mouth there is no substance. So both what you speak, way you speak and how you dress are important.

In the end though Money talks. A person walks in with bundles of cash but no pedigree will still drive out with a Merc, at times!
Old 11th June 2021, 14:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Indeed!
Truer words have seldom been spoken in the silver screen. If your wallet is attractive enough, they will roll out the red carpet
Attachment 2166134

and even hold open car doors.
Attachment 2166135
Actually in this particular case, it's not about wallet but rather the lineage. That guy in the image is the Current ruler of Thailand - Vajiralongkorn (Rama X)

This photo was taken just after his dad, the previous monarch died and Rama X had to be bought back in haste.
I would suggest people to go through his life, for it's after ages that we've had such a colourful monarch out in open
Old 11th June 2021, 14:37   #44
BHPian

You may be rich, a very important person or belong to a high caste - but all these cannot guarantee attention from a salesperson. A salesperson's time is important too. He makes a judgement about you based on the information that is presented to him. If he is ignoring a customer, he is taking a calculated risk - where he is allocating his time to activities he feels would produce results. That person in rags walking in asking for a test drive might be a rich or important person, but there is no way a salesperson would be able to guess.

You are there to buy a car if the car is good, not if salesperson is virtuous. Please do yourselves a favour and present yourself in a manner that suits the environment or the occasion. You would only look like a fool if you go to a car showroom in shorts and slippers. As I said, you might be an important person, but nobody really knows or cares.
Old 11th June 2021, 14:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Pre purchase dealership experience is generally fair and pleasant across the board. You do have the occasional unprofessional or judgemental salesman, but that is something that transcends all brands. I have never visited any dealership formally dressed ever. My usual off work attire is shorts and t shirts, and I have had decent interactions with all kinds of salespeople in that, from Maruti to Mercedes. It is more about your body language and the way you conduct yourself than your clothes. Ditto for high end stores in the mall.

There is one brand I will single out for being unnecessary snooty in all my interactions with it. Volkswagen. Multiple dealerships across multiple states. Man, those guys are like we only want to sell to the senior management of MNCs type people. I being a business owner don’t fit the stereotype. Needless to say, my garage been VW free. Maybe it is something in their training. They can keep their ‘we are German, superior than you’ attitude, I’ll take my business elsewhere.
Absolutely true from my experience too. Walked in last year to have a look at Volkswagen Polo GTI in the first month at Bhopal showroom. Least interested sales guys. They just wanted to know whether I will buy it. Told them that I need a test drive to decide to which they said is not possible. Picked up Honda Amaze CVT Diesel. I understand that the buying shouldn’t be completely driven by first experience at the showroom but I can’t put my money until I have a first hand good experience with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks