Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2021, 11:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dad bought a car years ago, didn't transfer to his name | Original owner now asking for more mon

This is risky business. I sold my bike to a guy who resides in my community. He took it but never came forward to transfer it to his name. In spite of repeatedly asking, he gave all kinds of excuses. Finally, I had to threaten him that I am going to give a police complaint that my bike is missing. I had to look for a broker myself and then get all the paperwork done. He only paid the money, rest all was done by me. It's a sticky business. I don't want to get into it. Ever!
Old 31st May 2021, 11:16   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dad bought a car years ago, didn't transfer to his name | Original owner now asking for more mon

one question for @TheChakshu -
how are you able to still use the car in NCR region ? Dont the cops know a auto-deregistered car when they see the number ?

If you are able to still drive the car in NCR, is it that there are other cars too on the road that > 10 years ? Is it that such cars are given the benefit of doubt of being petrol based, when seen from a distance ?
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 11:18   #48
BHPian

I used to have a Fiat Uno which I had bought through my Wife's Brother, a crook in his life time.
Later, when I wanted to sell it off, he took it from me - and that was the last time I saw both of them. He has passed away and I have no knowledge of the Car. I am waiting to hear of the demise (pieces full demise - hopefully) of the Car.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 14:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even a 2010 Innova is surely worth more than 75k - 1 lakh. Go with cash, sit on the table and negotiate. Whatever figure you close it at (whether 1 lakh or 50 grand) will deliver a net benefit for you, as you will be able to get more by selling the car out of Delhi.
I think presently it wouldn't command any value. It cant be sold to anyone nor can a NOC be obtained. Absolutely no transactions can happen on this RC if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
(4) If it's a 2010 Innova (diesel), it stands deregistered wef 2020. Hence you will not be able to get even a NOC at all to resell it now.

(5) The Central government is trying to get an uniform policy for motor vehicles all over India, as far as their 'end of life' is concerned and they are battling for a uniform 15 year life for all private vehicles throughout the country. Maybe the 10 and 15 year 'end of life' practiced by NCR is gone, but that is uncertain and may take time. A patient wait may help here.
The only option is to wait for 5. For this, OP needs to hold the car and maintain it and not legally use it. If at all option 5 comes to play sometime in near future. OP should strike a deal with the previous owner, then sell it. It may not be worth the process.

If masses are scrapping such 10+ old deregistered vehicles, find out if you can scrap without papers. In many places, it is possible if the scrap yard person is known or visited through a known source. If scrap yard guys get confidence that the car wasn't stolen or involved in an accident and not being scrapped to hush up, they will take it up. Since you have the papers, just keep them safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
one question for @TheChakshu -
how are you able to still use the car in NCR region ? Dont the cops know a auto-deregistered car when they see the number ?
I had the same question. Was it sheer luck that they never caught? Also, if caught what are Traffic cops/RTO supposed to do(apart from escaping by bribe )?

Last edited by funkykar : 31st May 2021 at 14:27.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 15:12   #50
BHPian

Don't get me wrong Thechaksu, I would say that you should have acted in 2019 once you found the issue.

In India getting a used car & running it on the 1st owner name to fetch higher resale value occurs even today in Tier-2 & 3 cities & remote villages. Moreover, when they know the 1st owner, they take it for granted to years. (presume this might be the case with you car as he is your dad's friend).

In this case, after few months/years of purchase, ideally our family should have transferred to your name(assuming its going to stay with you for longer time) or sold it to other guy in 1st owner name to fetch good resale value. None of them happened.

At least I expected you to get this done @ 2019 when you found this.
Ideally you had driven in someone else's car for a decade thinking its your car. (if we go by the books)

Now coming to the issue, again I would say, sit with him & do a deal with a coffee/tea & get the car sold.

Note: I bought a pre-worshipped Fiesta during 2018 & had to wait for nearly 1 month without taking it out to complete my RC & insurance formalities.
Actually I was unable to control my temptation, but thought I won't take risk & kept waiting for the paper work to be completed.
Fiestaboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 21:28   #51
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Whatever happened has happened. Just try to solve it amicably.

The only available option is to go and talk to him and sort out (GTO/Fiestaboy & many had pointed out) this issue by negotiating. If your father had given a delivery note (I have taken delivery blah blah car number etc) then you have something to go legal.

This is the reason that many of the dealers transfer the ownership of the car and then deliver. (Sundaram's Autoterrace is very strict in this process, Either you have to leave the car before name transfer or give them the RC for change of ownership).

NB: Do not go to any RTO agents/brokers as they may suggest many ways (unlawful) to do a name transfer without the signature of the present owner.

Last edited by RGK : 31st May 2021 at 21:30. Reason: typo
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 22:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Well connected political man without character. Lol that must be a rarity in India.

Just give him one week to do it tell him you're getting enquiries from Kashmir willing to buy it at premium.
This will surely get him moving on the right path. I too would second this advice.
Old 31st May 2021, 23:36   #53
BHPian

Tricky but frankly as you yourself said it's possible that he is saying the truth, or maybe not but we have no way of proving that, but at this point you need him more than vice versa, so I'd suggest going and giving him what he wants and getting on with it.

Please don't take the sell it/scrap it advice, it could land you in far more legal hassles and would cost you far more than the money he wants.

Keep the slate clean, and happy driving.
Old 31st May 2021, 23:44   #54
BHPian

If you don't intend to keep the car:

Option 1. Check for scrap value with a scrap dealer. Negotiate with the dealer for a higher price basis that you don't bother about the registration cancellation.

Option 2. Check with used Car dealers. Present the whole scenario to them. 99% chance is that they would not be interested suspecting trouble later. Even if they agree, be prepared for low ball offers.

Since it's a high resale value car i.e. the Innova, the scrap & used car dealers might give you a decent value.

If you intend to keep the car:

Option 3. Keep using the car as is till its (legal / RTO) death. Its a Toyota so don't expect it to die technically till eternity

Option 4. Search for another Innova needing an engine swap and execute the project.

Option 5. Negotiate and settle the matter with the registered owner.

None of the above options will be money-wise. Even if you go for option 3 today, there is cost and uncertainty to be bourne tomorrow.

But I feel that you ve got thinking so much only since the time the opportunist owner has played his cards.

My last 3 cars were pre-owned ones which I purchased from friends and hence did not transfer to my name to preserve resale value. Even if I had the required transfer papers signed on the day of purchase, I had a sense of insecurity all along till I didn't sell the cars.
Old 1st June 2021, 00:20   #55
BHPian

Keep things clean and simple.

In this case it's negotiating with the other guy, settling the amount maybe between 50-100k, and moving on in life.

It's not worth trying to save this amount of money and the stress associated.

You will be disappointed since you'll feel he got the better of you, but don't bother.
Old 1st June 2021, 12:54   #56
BHPian

This must be a problem of many out there who really keep the vehicle transfer duties pushing ahead. Big learning for all.
As GTO suggested, it will be wise to resolve the issue and sell the car outside NCR rules/other states. Since its previous gen Innova; you will fetch better price.

Now the catch is the NOC at your RTO.

Hope you get out of it quickly.

Please do update this thread as many will be interested in the end result.

wish you some luck.

cheers.
Old 1st June 2021, 14:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

I didn’t read the other comments my fellow bhpians posted here. If it’s already suggested, my apologies for duping it here.

My suggestions would be:

1) considering first owner being hard to deal with, negotiate the deal for the additional 1L he’s asking for. He might be taking the advantage your dad is not around to keep this guy’s evil thinking at bay, it’s best for you to get good riddance of bad crap and then sell this car even though you’ll be at loss, you won’t have to deal with this guy anymore. Saving some peace of mind at the expense of your own money. We are in that kind of world where money plays a major role than having a trait of a human, which this guy doesn’t seem to have.

2) I do not think legally you’ll have any upper hand either considering the car wasn’t transferred at the time of purchase. Do you’ve the form which is agreement for purchase (sorry for lack of my knowledge on the form numbers) - if you’ve it, even then you’ll have very little advantage over him legally considering it’s close to a decade since the car was purchased.

All the best my friend. Take care and stay safe from people who are ‘THE VIRUS’!
Old 1st June 2021, 22:38   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The car should have been transferred to the name of the buyer immediately.

Years of not doing it is blatant breaking of the rules and knowing that one is doing it. The insurance renewal and RC book would have shown this.

Penalty is return the car to the person from whom you bought it or pay his the premium he is asking for and transfer directly to your name. The seller is the one who should be angry as an accident is the last 9 years would has been his responsibility and all are just lucky that this did not happen.

Brutal, but this is how it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks