Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault-Nissan dragged to court by its employees, over Covid-19 protocols

Renault-Nissan India has been dragged to court by its employee union for allegedly flouting Covid-19 protocols at the factory.

Renault-Nissan dragged to court by its employees, over Covid-19 protocols-nissanindiajul25.jpg

Workers at the Tamil Nadu factory have petitioned a court to halt operations alleging that the company was not following Covid-19 norms.

Renault-Nissan has filed a response in court saying that there was a need to continue operations to fulfill domestic and export orders and that all Covid-19 protocols were being adhered to.

The Madras High Court will be taking up the case on Monday after the state government has filed its response.

The Renault-Nissan plant employs 3,000 contract workers, 2,500 staff members and 700 apprentices. The factory produces Nissan, Renault and Datsun cars for domestic and export markets.

Source: Economic Times
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 11:19   #2
BHPian

re: Renault-Nissan dragged to court by its employees, over Covid-19 protocols

Quote:
"We just want social distancing protocols to be followed and the management to be responsible for any risks to the workers or their family members."

Why is that hard for Renault - Nissan?
balmeter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 14:25   #3
BHPian

re: Renault-Nissan dragged to court by its employees, over Covid-19 protocols

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmeter View Post
Why is that hard for Renault - Nissan?
Who is responsible for following the safety protocols that have been issued? The employees or the management?

If protocols were not setup then it would be the management at fault. But if the employees don't follow them then you can't blame management.

If I was a CEO for a global organization, then things like these further dig the grave and bring a sense of unease/doubt over doing business in India.
yd_gli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 15:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault-Nissan dragged to court by its employees, over Covid-19 protocols

Just because party A drags party B to a court does not make party B (the defendent) guilty any more than it makes party A (the plaintiff) innocent. It only means party A filed a case for a disagreement. Let the facts come out.

First how many workers indeed did fall ill or sadly died? Were the right protocols issued? were reasonable efforts made to implement them ? Did the workers follow them or was our classic chalta hai attitude at play here. All these need to be studied before passing judgement. Maybe Renault-Nissan's management is more at fault. Maybe the unions and worker indiscipline is more to blame. Right now all bets are up in the air.

Further is the union using this to settle scores with the management on past disagreements where the union could not have its way?

In dealing with unions off and on since the early 1980s the only thing I can be sure of is that in any union-management disagreement/court case there are at least a dozen wheels within wheels within wheels.
V.Narayan is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 15:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Who is responsible for following the safety protocols that have been issued? The employees or the management?

If I was a CEO for a global organization, then things like these further dig the grave and bring a sense of unease/doubt over doing business in India.
It is important to make the distinction here. Anything that happens inside the place of work is the responsibility of the Employer IMHO. If the employees don't follow rules, then the Employer is entitled to actions like terminating the services of such employees. In this case, Renault-Nissan seems to have not taken any action against employees. I don't understand how this can cause unease to corporates. Our is a democracy and employees are just exercising their democratic right.
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
I If the employees don't follow rules, then the Employer is entitled to actions like terminating the services of such employees. In this case, Renault-Nissan seems to have not taken any action against employees. I don't understand how this can cause unease to corporates. Our is a democracy and employees are just exercising their democratic right.
I smell a rat here. It looks very doubtfull that the management did "not" want the employees to follow social distancing norms. Also, if you know how manufacturing works, its not as simple terminating someone because they did not follow social distancing. Any HR from manufacturing can chip in here. You can start with checking why is that 50% of the employees are kept as contractors/interns and not part of the unions.

Also how can the company take liability if anyone in the family is infected? What if the person was infected from a different source?

No doubt, the company can increase the medical coverage or provde additional OT to entice the employees to be available in these hard times. But I doubt they forced people to work violating the covid norms.
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 18:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Renault-Nissan India workers to go on strike on May 26

According to a media report, workers at the Renault-Nissan plant in Tamil Nadu have called for a strike on May 26, 2021. The workers claim that their Covid-related safety demands have not been met by the company.

The news comes just hours after a petition was filed in court to halt operations alleging that Covid-19 protocols were being flouted and that the health policies offered by the company were insufficient.

The Madras High Court will be hearing the case after the state government has filed its response. Renault-Nissan did not comment on the issue as the matter is subjudice.

Source: ET Auto
Old 24th May 2021, 22:09   #8
BHPian

Hyundai and few others have joined the strike too.

The second phase will disrupt in much more complicated way as the covid infection rate is higher than last year.
Old 24th May 2021, 23:10   #9
BHPian

Owing to my little knowledge of Tamilnadu politics, which I closely monitored during my stay in TN - I strongly guess this is a political hit job. It is a known fact that these so called employee unions are 'completely' aligned to the two dominant political parties in the state. Now that there is a change of power in the new state, it is essential for the party in power to have 'their' union playing the key role in these companies. It is at these times that they tend to resort to these kind of petty pressure tactics, so that they can take over the control of unions. Also, it would be ridiculous to think that Big-Corporations Like Renault-Nissan, Hyundai would penny pinch on COVID related safety that too when the pandemic is in its heights(?).

Maybe I'm wrong? and really these companies aren't maintaining COVID Safety guidelines? Only time will tell.
G V Krishna is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 03:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
Also, it would be ridiculous to think that Big-Corporations Like Renault-Nissan, Hyundai would penny pinch on COVID related safety that too when the pandemic is in its heights(?)
I wouldn’t lift the blame from corporations just like that. Didn’t VW knowingly cheat on diesel emissions despite the fact that governments were becoming more aware of the effects of diesel pollution?

Something tells me there’s more than what meets the eye. Renault Nissan are having a terrible time over the last few years. The rotten culture starts from the top and flows down the food pyramid.

Either this is a move by politicians/rival auto makers/local lobbyists etc or Renault-Nissan is clearly cutting corners where they shouldn’t be.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th May 2021 at 03:43.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 05:54   #11

I am not here to support Renault - Nissan here in any way but how many of these employees really follow social distancing norms outside their work place. I have seen some small size industries strictly following safety measures for COVID and I doubt such a big firm would not adhere to protocols like social distancing.
Old 25th May 2021, 09:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

This looks like a coordinated effort by rivals, just when they have two best sellers lined up. The same situation Maruti faced in 2011 or thereabouts.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 18:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
This looks like a coordinated effort by rivals, just when they have two best sellers lined up. The same situation Maruti faced in 2011 or thereabouts.
So - for another Chennai outskirts based plant, Hyundai.

https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/sto...524-2021-05-25

The striking workers say that at least six employees have died of covid and many others have been infected badly.

Surprising though it may be, union agitations are not always about political control.
Old 25th May 2021, 19:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

TN govt supervision needed at Renault Nissan plant: Madras HC

Quote:
It is imperative that some kind of supervision be maintained by the State through the appropriate officers so that the workmen at Renault are not forced to work in conditions that may put their health in danger.
Quote:
The court also asked Renault Nissan Automotive to indicate whether the production has been reduced after reducing the number of shifts from three to two.

The court said the conversion of three shifts to two may be meaningless if the overall number of workmen continues to be the same.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th May 2021 at 19:03.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 11:21   #15
BHPian

Latest news - Renault Nissan plant shuts down till 30 May 2021.
Re-opening thereafter will possibly depend on the Covid-19 cases trend in Tamil Nadu.

This is similar to the Hyundai factory shutting down till 30 May.

https://https://www.msn.com/en-in/autos/news/renault-nissan-halts-production-at-tamil-nadu-plant-after-workers-protest/ar-AAKnSGw?ocid=msedgntp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Surprising though it may be, union agitations are not always about political control.
Absolutely! It may not be correct viewing every single incident through a political prism. In this case, it appears to be concerns of infection, rather than any other 'hidden' agenda.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 26th May 2021 at 11:30. Reason: additional

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks