Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2021, 19:00   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 Kia Seltos & Sonet launched; new trims & features added

What I am surprised to see is in the HTX and HTK+ (iMT) trims, they have added a considerable amount of important features and still have left out the rear washer and wiper. How much of a price difference would it have made to include this feature as well.
Shiftlock is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
What I am surprised to see is in the HTX and HTK+ (iMT) trims, they have added a considerable amount of important features and still have left out the rear washer and wiper. How much of a price difference would it have made to include this feature as well.
Both Seltos Htx and htk + always had rear washer wiper - only HTK and HTE don't.

Last edited by JishD : 1st May 2021 at 19:27. Reason: To clarify point is about Seltos and not Sonet
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 21:24   #18
BHPian

Not bringing in the Panoramic Sunroof has shot Kia's chances to equal with the Creta.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:31   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Neat updates! Got to appreciate Kia's aggression where new trims & features arrive within less than 2 years of the original launch of the car! It might also be recollected that they had tweaked the variants within weeks of the original launch (IIRC a top trim to some engine / tranny) based on customer feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
There are so many variants for sonet and seltos that they deserve an algorithm for variant selection.
Haha! Join the club. We wrote an 8000 word review on the car and still don't understand the variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthusiast View Post
No words on improving the crash worthiness of Seltos which barely managed 3*.
Agreed with you, man. This would have been the perfect opportunity to say "we own up to our mistakes and here's the correction". Kia would have gained a lot of respect if they'd done this.

It's a big opportunity for Hyundai. If the Creta somehow does better in the GNCAP, it's disaster for the Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Not bringing in the Panoramic Sunroof has shot Kia's chances to equal with the Creta.
True, true. That is the standout feature of the new Creta and I'm sure, led to many people choosing it over the Kia.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 19:47   #20
BHPian

I was hoping they would include active safety features like collision avoidance, lane assist and adaptive cruise control in addition to a fully digital instrument cluster.
Old 2nd May 2021, 19:56   #21
BHPian

I am only glad that Kia added a couple of good safety features in mid variants as well. This makes them more appealing now when compared to Creta's mid variants.
sam264_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 21:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

From the changes coming to Seltos, now it can lead to interesting competition between the siblings. If you want VFM and some bling then there is Seltos HTK+/HTX. If you want top of the line features then Creta SX/SX(O) fits the bill perfectly. This would ensure both these cars still find their own set of customers and continue to rule the charts! What a strategy to keep the sales numbers within the Hyundai/Kia and let others bleed!
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 21:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

The paddle shifters for the Seltos take the cake for me. It was needed to compete with the Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with you, man. This would have been the perfect opportunity to say "we own up to our mistakes and here's the correction". Kia would have gained a lot of respect if they'd done this.
Would this be possible unless Hyundai adds some extra air bags etc? From a platform point of view I would think that they are identical and hence their crash performance should be identical as well?

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 09:33   #24
BHPian

Not bad! Kia is working on customer feedback and finally they're giving ESP, TC and VSM in all AT variants and mid/top variants. But hey, they're aggressive in marketing and pointing of segment first features, this opportunity could have been used if the structural integrity has been improved. Paddle shifters in a diesel AT is great and the Kia twins are the only ones in India to give this to us. However, Seltos could have got paddle shifters in HTX too.

Another missed opportunity is to provide a rear wiper and defogger in the lower variants(HTE/HTK/HTK+). I don't understand why people ignore this basic feature which is so useful for our weather conditions amd unpredictable road conditions as well as after a long road trip, the rear wiper is very useful.

It hardly costs much for the car maker to give this feature and most of the carmakers do not give this basic yet useful and a small safety feature and the major chunk of the sales is in the base and mid variants. The top variants are mostly chosen by the urban folk
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:24   #25
BHPian

What is not visible in these vast array of variants are -
1. The well oiled lean manufacturing process that Kia obviously is following. Compare it with the original pioneers of lean Toyota.
2. As a possible consequence of the above, they will end up making cars in the exact variant/color combinations that they will never have to offer discounts to clear stock.

As a potential buyer, the variants are hard to navigate and frustrating - "why can't I have that feature in HT* model that has everything else that I need". But as a potential investor, Kia is the auto stock to buy
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
There are so many variants for sonet and seltos that they deserve an algorithm for variant selection.
This is all a game of smoke and mirrors my friend. The confusion created by the variants gives the salesman ample opportunity to up-sell the customer. Also, a few variants are spaced hardly 60-70k from each other. Even more of an avenue for the salesman to sell a higher variant. The average Joe will have fumes coming out of his brain post a visit to the dealer and will eventually stretch his/her budget to just get the top end and forget about it. Also, the HTK, HTK+, HTX, HTX+ nomenclature adds even more confusion since they look the same at first glance and are impossible to remember.

I am almost certain most Seltos/Sonet buyers have no idea where their variant stands in the product hierarchy. The Korean OEMs have figured out exactly how to bell the cat!!
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:23   #27
MCR
BHPian

The GTX variant now stands deleted. The new trim level (one just below the top end GTX+) is GTX(O).
My Sales Consultant sent me the following attachment when asked for a difference between GTX(O) and GTX+.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Kia Seltos & Sonet launched; new trims & features added-seltos.jpg  

MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:08   #28
BHPian

As said in my earlier posts,
One of my friends is looking forward to buy Sonet.

So asked him to get in touch with his SA and get the updated onroad price list.
Thanks to the SA from Naara Motors Bangalore, who sent the list today.

Please find below,
1.Sonet Pricelist May2021 (Bangalore)
2.Seltos and Carnival Pricelist May2021 (Bangalore)

Last edited by DLC5005 : 3rd May 2021 at 18:20. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:47   #29
pms
BHPian

Plethora of features and its combination with 'x' variants makes one crazy! No logic on naming the variants as well, if Kia had applied the same thought process that went into defining their new logo I wish.

A prospective customer will walk out confused if he isnt going for the top or base model. Lack of panoramic sunroof will prove costly for Seltos again, single feature that attracts so many to Creta.

Last edited by pms : 3rd May 2021 at 18:48.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with you, man. This would have been the perfect opportunity to say "we own up to our mistakes and here's the correction". Kia would have gained a lot of respect if they'd done this....
Although its morally the right thing to do, I wonder if their legal cell would / will ever permit such a move. It would open a Pandora's box and essentially open them to be at the wrong end of ligitative actions and kill their reputation!

On the other hand, I woun't be surprised if they (Kia) had quitely made necessary reinforcements to the structure of Setos in current batches as a process of ongoing improvements. Often, the weight increase for such reinforcements to meet what is essentially a stylised and controlled crash qualification test may not involve large weight or structural changes. I specifically mean corrective design actions to overcome that 'borderline unstable body shell' remark in the NCAP test.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 3rd May 2021 at 18:58.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks